Rollei Car-Dvr 200 / A7LA55

I've got to admit I've not personally tried 60fps but will give it a go later :)

There are two camps when it comes to dash cams - the first like wide images to see what's going on around you (more chance of picking up whatever events lead up to an incident) and those that prefer the narrow image to read numberplates and see other details like drivers easier.

I've got to admit I sit on the fence and see the benefits of both - and therefore I'm personally thinking of running two devices concurrently - one in each mode :)

I've got to admit I've not personally tried 60fps but will give it a go later :)

There are two camps when it comes to dash cams - the first like wide images to see what's going on around you (more chance of picking up whatever events lead up to an incident) and those that prefer the narrow image to read numberplates and see other details like drivers easier.

I've got to admit I sit on the fence and see the benefits of both - and therefore I'm personally thinking of running two devices concurrently - one in each mode :)

I've been trying to ascertain the dilemma of trying to select the best mode: 1080P @ 30 FPS OR 720P @ 60 FPS. The distance appears to be equivalent in both modes, but up close there is some additional information (picture) with the 1080P. As you, I'm uncertain on which mode to use.

What refresh rate would you prefer, or use with the Mini 0803, 50 or 60 Hz? This is the cam I have purchased (first), from FoxOffer. Most likely, I'll be purchasing another.

To be honest with the Mini0803 I'd say go with 30fps and set the refresh rate to 60Hz as that setting is usually for the anti flicker side of things and if you're in the USA the local power will be 60Hz.

With the Mini0803 you may prefer to run that at 1296P 30fps as I've read that there are potentially some scaling problems and stuff looks better at the higher resolutions on those.

I still think you should buy a Mobius as well as you can use that for other stuff too (maybe the reverse camera!)

At least you've finally bought one (and not paid over the odds for it either!)

To be honest with the Mini0803 I'd say go with 30fps and set the refresh rate to 60Hz as that setting is usually for the anti flicker side of things and if you're in the USA the local power will be 60Hz.

With the Mini0803 you may prefer to run that at 1296P 30fps as I've read that there are potentially some scaling problems and stuff looks better at the higher resolutions on those.

I still think you should buy a Mobius as well as you can use that for other stuff too (maybe the reverse camera!)

At least you've finally bought one (and not paid over the odds for it either!)

Most people, if not all said to run at 1080P. Even 'Techmoan' states in his video that 1296P is a gimmick and there is no difference. I could not determine any difference. techmoan seems fairly experienced, trying to push the product, but he's presented a very technical video in a professional way. Really enjoy his reviews, more so than anyone else. I'm somewhat surprised that you say 1296P looks better with your knowledge. Again, not any have made a comment, even the reviewers, that 1296P 'is better', or makes any difference. A bigger file accompanies this format.

Yes, the refresh rate will be set at 60 Hz. Paid $92.00 U.S. with 8 Gb internal memory, GPS, and free wiring kit. Will not use the wiring kit, so if you are in need of one, just pay shipping, and its yours. Most likely, this would not be worth it, due to shipping costs.

Still considering the Mobius. I was interested in the Rollei, but cannot find anyone to ship to the U.S. Money is not a factor, just trying to find the best quality which will last. I'm highly impressed with the 720P @ 60 fps.

P.S. - In that link you provided in this thread, is that the Mobius at 720P @ 60 fps (Wide Angle)? If so, I most likely will purchase. Thank you.

Most people, if not all said to run at 1080P. Even 'Techmoan' states in his video that 1296P is a gimmick and there is no difference. I could not determine any difference.
If you watch the 1296 on a 1080 monitor then you should see no difference,
If you zoom in and examine it the pixel level then you should see no difference.

But, there are 40% more pixels and 40% higher bitrate in the data stream so it seems reasonable to conclude that there is 40% more detail in the images.

If you want to see the actual difference then record the same scene in 720 and then again in 1296, then save a frame from each, resize the 720 up to 1296 in a graphics application and then compare the result - the 1296 is very clearly better.

Of course if you are never going to want the extra detail that you cant see on a standard monitor then you can consider the 1296 to be a gimmick, but if you need it as evidence after an accident...

I run on 1440p monitors so did see a difference to be honest - I'd seen Pizdy's screenshots like below from another A7 device and just assumed that the Mini0803 suffered the same sharpening problem when running at 1080p:

1296vs1080p_A7.png

car_ca.jpg

On my laptop with a 1280x720 resolution I can never tell the difference!

If the Mino0803 doesn't then that's certainly good news as it does tend to affect a lot of A7 devices (and is the SDK issue that Jokiin refers to I believe)! I just liked the option of the higher resolution to raise the chance of capturing a plate, it's all down to whatever anyone prefers though and like all these cams your milage may vary :)

@synoptic12 that 720p 60fps video was indeed the Mobius - originally it only did frame doubling like a lot of cameras but they sorted out proper 60fps in the really early 0.3x branch of firmware :) A very versatile little device!

If you watch the 1296 on a 1080 monitor then you should see no difference,
If you zoom in and examine it the pixel level then you should see no difference.

But, there are 40% more pixels and 40% higher bitrate in the data stream so it seems reasonable to conclude that there is 40% more detail in the images.

If you want to see the actual difference then record the same scene in 720 and then again in 1296, then save a frame from each, resize the 720 up to 1296 in a graphics application and then compare the result - the 1296 is very clearly better.

Of course if you are never going to want the extra detail that you cant see on a standard monitor then you can consider the 1296 to be a gimmick, but if you need it as evidence after an accident...

You could say the same for 720P as opposed to 1080P ( amount, or percentage of pixels). In the same respect, any can notice a difference in 720P as opposed to 1080P, but "Not" 1296P vs. 1080P. The highest monitor stands at 1920 x 1080, so where will any notice the improvement, irrespective of splicing frames?

Last edited:
@synoptic12 that 720p 60fps video was indeed the Mobius - originally it only did frame doubling like a lot of cameras but they sorted out proper 60fps in the really early 0.3x branch of firmware :) A very versatile little device!
I run on 1440p monitors so did see a difference to be honest - I'd seen Pizdy's screenshots like below from another A7 device and just assumed that the Mini0803 suffered the same sharpening problem when running at 1080p:

1296vs1080p_A7.png

car_ca.jpg

On my laptop with a 1280x720 resolution I can never tell the difference!

If the Mino0803 doesn't then that's certainly good news as it does tend to affect a lot of A7 devices (and is the SDK issue that Jokiin refers to I believe)! I just liked the option of the higher resolution to raise the chance of capturing a plate, it's all down to whatever anyone prefers though and like all these cams your milage may vary :)

If your monitor is 1080p and you're happy with the 1080p footage from the Mini0803 then stick with that :)

The Ambarella video does tend to have a slightly different look to it - I think it's potentially just the sharpening causing that and they're loads better than the 3H2F-D I had a couple of months back.

How does one equate a sharpening issue as detracting from the information, when in fact the photo displays 1296P at its proper signal? (sharper) Then again, you say that this is a good thing if it does not affect the Mini 0803? The 1080P captures, or recognizes the plate as well. Using native resolution monitor 1920 X 1080, AND cannot see any difference.

Now looking at Streetstorm 7810G which has "NO" distortion.

P.S. -Familiar with Jokiin's thread. What is SDK?

If your monitor is 1080p and you're happy with the 1080p footage from the Mini0803 then stick with that :)

The Ambarella video does tend to have a slightly different look to it - I think it's potentially just the sharpening causing that and they're loads better than the 3H2F-D I had a couple of months back.

Could be, but the point being is that there is "No" significant difference that I, nor anyone else can see. The Ambarella A7LA70 is very impressive in the Streetstorm 7810G.

p.s.- Are you saying that there is a difference if I display the 1296P on a 1920 X 1080 monitor?

That Street Storm is a tricky one - they've just swapped the lens and there are quite a few issues with the firmware on that one - it's Samoon who make that one.

The sharpening doesn't seem to affect certain models, and Falsificator has done a custom firmware for the Mini0803 which turns the sharpening down a bit and improves the picture on the Mini0803 anyway :)

The SDK is the software development kit - basically what all the developers of the firmware use to create their firmware that then runs on the cameras.

You can see the issue in those screenshots above? They were from a Vicovation A7 based device so potentially that only affects them when they run at 1080p (the 1296p video is nice and clean).

The fact that Falsificator has turned it down in the Mini0803 firmware suggests it's still an issue, albeit one he's helping resolve in the short term :)

Nothing to worry about - just enjoy the camera when you get it!

You could say the same for 720P as opposed to 1080P ( amount, or percentage of pixels). In the same respect, any can notice a difference in 720P as opposed to 1080P, but "Not" 1296P vs. 1080P. The highest monitor stands at 1920 x 1080, so where will any notice the improvement, irrespective of splicing frames?
The place I really see the difference is if I zoom in to look at a registration plate, either using the zoom in Registrator Viewer or for better clarity save a frame at the resolution of the video and then open it in a graphics application so that I can examine it at pixel level. The difference isn't huge, it is 40%.

Not to move away from the theme, BUT which Mobius should I look for, and is the (B) lens more efficient than the standard lens? When viewing your link (4-camera), I believe that the (B) lens captured a little more area, and demonstrating 'quality' as well. The (B) Lens is considered the wide lens, is it not. Where should I purchase from, whereas I may have good support and will not be sent a "refurbished unit"?

That Street Storm is a tricky one - they've just swapped the lens and there are quite a few issues with the firmware on that one - it's Samoon who make that one.

The sharpening doesn't seem to affect certain models, and Falsificator has done a custom firmware for the Mini0803 which turns the sharpening down a bit and improves the picture on the Mini0803 anyway :)

The SDK is the software development kit - basically what all the developers of the firmware use to create their firmware that then runs on the cameras.

Thank you very much.

I prefer the wide lens personally (yes you're correct that is the B lens) but will more than likely end up with another standard lens anyway just for the fun of it :)

The official seller on eBay says to use these guys for US fulfilment:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380919478194
There's also Spytec selling them on Amazon US via Prime so with quick shipping, and I just found this one with a car kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GPXYVQU
Amazon have great customer service IMHO so maybe go with one of the options which is fulfilled by Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00GT2B4R6

You can see the issue in those screenshots above? They were from a Vicovation A7 based device so potentially that only affects them when they run at 1080p (the 1296p video is nice and clean).

The fact that Falsificator has turned it down in the Mini0803 firmware suggests it's still an issue, albeit one he's helping resolve in the short term :)

Nothing to worry about - just enjoy the camera when you get it!

Would that be the Marcus 4 in screenshot? I was unaware that the data stream would have less value in 1080P , as opposed to 1296P.

Back