Running multiple SG9665GCs? Don't swap cards between cams

Dan Robinson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I discovered tonight that you cannot insert a memory card from one SG9665GC into another without reformatting. The cameras do not recognize the file sequence from another unit, and will simply continually write and overwrite ONE file. This means if an event or accident happens, after ONE file save interval it will be lost!

I am running four independent SG9665GCs, each with Lexar 633x 64gb memory cards (the officially recommended card). Each camera's setup and configuration is identical. Last week, I brought all four cards inside to archive all of my footage, then took them back outside and re-inserted them into the cameras. I inadvertently got the cards from cameras #1 and #3 mixed up. The cameras operated normally thereafter (no errors and the record lights indicating normally), but tonight I discovered neither had been recording more than one file ever since I re-inserted the cards. I had only ONE file from my most recent driving - the very last minutes of my most recent drive - and the rest of the files were from the driving prior to when I had re-inserted the cards! Everything from the time I previously archived the footage to present was lost, aside from the last mile or so of tonight's drive.

Just a heads up if you happen to be operating multiple SG9665GCs - each memory card is "married" to its camera and can't be swapped into another SG9665GC without reformatting. There are no errors or any indications that the camera is only recording the one file.

Last edited:
Are you using Windows or Mac? Mac leaves a bunch of leftover hidden files that can trip up dashcams. If you're on a Mac, it's recommended to format the card inside the camera after you're done pulling off the files you need onto your Mac. (Windows is no problem)
Are they all on the latest firmware? Are these GC V1 or V2? (serial numbers?)
@jokiin can comment on what else might be going on.

Running Windows 10. Formatted the cards in-cam. Not sure of firmware versions - all cams were purchased between October of last year and last month.

The cards were full of the old files prior to the re-insert. There was only one file being written and overwritten from the current driving interval. My guess is that the file sequence is stored in the camera's memory instead of it looking at the card to determine what the correct sequence should be (IE, looking for the last numbered file and incrementing from there).

In other words, the camera didn't "see" the old files and wasn't treating them as part of the sequence, and therefore not overwriting them. It then only had enough free space to write that one file as part of the looping cycle.

That sounds like the most plausible explanation - will update firmware at next chance. The reformat got everything back up and running again.

more likely coincidence, there are no settings stored in the cam that would affect this, if the file numbers were out of order it could skip erasing the files as expected though, best practice after you've copied files off when running multiple cams is to format the card in camera before using again

I did that with my two cameras and although it didn't overwrite anything the sequences went a bit funny. Easy enough to just format them though.

Latest firmware will also auto sync time and date automatically. If the time/date was off between units that could be an issue as well.

Is that firmware out yet? I was scratching my head for ages earlier as to why my front camera was an hour out yet my rear one was fine. Both with the same firmware. Then I remembered I don't have the gps attached to the rear camera to help reduce current draw on the battery lol

Got the front set to +1 to compensate at the moment. It's bringing back memories of the mini cameras, their time was always out!

Is that firmware out yet? I was scratching my head for ages earlier as to why my front camera was an hour out yet my rear one was fine. Both with the same firmware. Then I remembered I don't have the gps attached to the rear camera to help reduce current draw on the battery lol

Got the front set to +1 to compensate at the moment. It's bringing back memories of the mini cameras, their time was always out!

Time / date auto-sync has been since January FW, but yeah, you need a GPS antenna plugged into dashcam.
You can also try latest beta FW, can find from HERE. You need file for V2 version.

GPS Time/Date comes down as GST from the GPS satellites. The confusing problem with the mini is they named the time zone locations with fixed city names which are not accurate during daylight savings months etc.

This is why we removed the location names in the GC time zone settings.

-8 is no longer "-8 Los Angeles" It's just -8, so you can change to -7 as needed 6 months out of the year. (for those countries/states that obey daylight savings)

I'm running sg20160125.v2 is that the latest? Cheers

I don't have the gps attached to the rear camera to help reduce current draw on the battery lol
so you only get 5 days and 21 hours out of your car battery compared to 5 days and 20 hours now??

so you only get 5 days and 21 hours out of your car battery compared to 5 days and 20 hours now??

Hilarious I'm not sure how much power the SG gps needs, I'm guessing around 10-15mA during normal use after the initial lock on but every little helps considering I'm running the cams 24/7. If it means the difference between the battery protect shutting down an hour later then it's worth it for me as I don't need gps running on both. More importantly though is that I'm also reducing the chance of interference with my rear windscreen integrated aerial plus it also means less wires.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P SG9665GC 23
O SG9665GC 2
Daffypuck SG9665GC 24
Back