Rust on underwater housing

MorD

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi,
Last weekend I used my git2 on beach( 30 or 40 minutes).
In my home , I clean the case using fresh water.
But today I see on a screw and on a button a few of rust.
Why happen this easily? It was my first immersion
How can I solve it?
thanks

Are you sure it is rust and not just dirt? The screws on mine are stainless steel so do not rust...

Still a good idea to soak for a few minutes in fresh water though.

I have same problem , after first time in sea.

Zoom.

After clean rust.

Do you think materiel is stainless steel ?

I have same problem , after first time in sea.
Do you think materiel is stainless steel ?
No, clearly not stainless!

I have 2 of these cases and both mine are all stainless, I expect Gitup will be talking to his suppliers when he sees that...

The screws are very ugly now, but for sure that rust was not made in just 30-40 minutes.

This is in mine.
Im sure that it is rush, yes its a litte, but the camera and the underwater housing are new.
I bought it three weeks ago, and this the first time in sea.

uc

uc

This is in mine.
Im sure that it is rust, yes its a litte, but the camera and the underwater housing are new.
I bought it three weeks ago, and this the first time in sea.
If you have a magnet, check to see if the screws stick to the magnet, if they do then the wrong screws have been used.

Im testing now, and the screws and buttons arent ferromagnetic.
So, yes the screws are stainless steel or other metal with a layer to prevent the rust.

Im testing now, and the screws and buttons arent ferromagnetic.
So, yes the screws are stainless steel or other metal with a layer to prevent the rust.
It is possible for stainless steel to rust a little after being in sea water, I guess yours will not rust much more than it already is.

Clearly there is a problem with the one qoogolf has, that looks like unprotected mild steel after being left with a little salt on it for a few weeks.

Stainless steels do not rust like that! That's not short term rust!
No part of my Git 2 case is magnetic, and I use a magnet capable of picking up small tools. The buttons are probably aluminum and all screws stainless and hinge pin. In contrast the four camera screws are definitely high iron because they are magnetic.
If you leave salt water on any metal ,even some S.S. alloys you will eventually find corrosion. The salt forms an electrolyte with moisture in the air and metal ions move across the electrolyte like tiny batteries!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also a regular steel washer under a stainless screw can cause problems, this is due to the different properties of the 2 materials and is called galvanic corrosion,

In real bad cases this can even speed up rusting a whole lot.

Its also why ships are fitted with the zinc blocks around the hull, this is so the less pure zinc is corroding instead of the expensive ship hull is doing it.

I was once working on a tanker ship, it had a elevated gangway along the middle of the deck made of steel grading, so it have started to rust so some "genius" decided to replace the rusting grades with stainless ones, this in turn just seem to have speed up the decay of the remaining steel grading.

Regarding the screw issue on the lens part, it only can happen in very earlier Git1 version, for that case looks so ugly can contact us to get a new one.
For the button issue, that part is from same supplier as GoPro, not sure if it is not protected well or not.

Thanks for the replies.
Any advice for delete my few rust?

Thanks for the replies.
Any advice for delete my few rust?
You could remove the screw and polish it, but the rust will probably come back next time you use it in the sea. If you leave it as it is then it probably will not get any worse. If you do clean it then next time you use it in the see, put it in fresh water for 10 minutes the same day to remove the salt.

It is not unusual for stainless steel to have a few spots of surface rust when used in the sea, it doesn't mean that the screw will rust inside, you can get special stainless for use in boats but it is not normally used for screws as it is not very strong.

Also a regular steel washer under a stainless screw can cause problems, this is due to the different properties of the 2 materials and is called galvanic corrosion,

Its also why ships are fitted with the zinc blocks around the hull, this is so the less pure zinc is corroding instead of the expensive ship hull is doing it.

I was once working on a tanker ship, it had a elevated gangway along the middle of the deck made of steel grading, so it have started to rust so some "genius" decided to replace the rusting grades with stainless ones, this in turn just seem to have speed up the decay of the remaining steel grading.
Also special corrosion types including intergranular corrosion in aircraft structure, and in places that require aging airplane inspection .

The

The
" genius " was probably an engineer! Yuk! Yuk!

Hehe yeah its them that keep the ship running and is in charge of everything, even if they run the ship up on ground they will properly blame the engine and say well the steering stopped working or something.

I have been chief / only engineer on ships 2 times, i am not doing that again, especially the last ship processing crabs on Greenland was a nightmare, and a bunch of amaturs.

Are ship engineers also the mechanic/technicians?
In my early experience as a millwright in a manufacturing plant ,the chemical engineer didn't, have an ear for anything the mechanic or operator had to say about the process, only what his slide rule told him!
On the other hand our mechanical engineer was willing to listen!
After I gained my airplane mechanic's license engineers were less troublesome!

Regarding the screw issue on the lens part, it only can happen in very earlier Git1 version, for that case looks so ugly can contact us to get a new one.
For the button issue, that part is from same supplier as GoPro, not sure if it is not protected well or not.
Thanks @gitup I'm sent mail to support@gitup.com already from 21/07/2016 till now not anyone reply my mail. Could you please help me to follow up ?

Attachments

• gitup.jpg
    gitup.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 17
If you are able to clean off the rust maybe you could paint the screws after putting them back in so that they have more protection. You can clean them with a stainless steel wire brush or stainless steel wool. I would use automotive touch up paint since it's thick, shiny, and made to protect against rust. And it usually comes in a bottle with a small brush so it's easy to apply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
briefer Git2 3
H Git2 5
S Git2 25
G Git2 11
Caghan Git2 11
Back