Saw my first dash cam today in another vehicle

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
pulled up at a set of lights, looked to my right hand side and saw someone else with a dash cam. looked pretty cheap and nasty though, the mount was bigger than the camera with huge suction cup mount. camera was hanging down quite obviously with power cord coming out the bottom of it. was rectangular in shape, not that big, like jokiins GS series but not as wide, I went to take a picture but was too slow and lights turned green and missed the chance.

pulled up at a set of lights, looked to my right hand side and saw someone else with a dash cam. looked pretty cheap and nasty though, the mount was bigger than the camera with huge suction cup mount. camera was hanging down quite obviously with power cord coming out the bottom of it. was rectangular in shape, not that big, like jokiins GS series but not as wide, I went to take a picture but was too slow and lights turned green and missed the chance.

It was a ghost-vehicle from the past reminding you your first bulky dashcam, so you would appreciate your present new one ;)

I saw my second car with a dashcam about a week ago, looked like a china-cam with IR leds :D

I saw my second car with a dashcam about a week ago, looked like a china-cam with IR leds :D
yeah my mate had one of them,cost him $40 from china, he eventually gave up using it as the video quality was soo crappy it was not worth it and it wouldn't work properly any way some times.

looked pretty cheap and nasty though, the mount was bigger than the camera with huge suction cup mount. camera was hanging down quite obviously with power cord coming out the bottom of it. was rectangular in shape, not that big,
I see ones like that all the time over here, I swear it is some sort of fetish for mechanical complexity. I have seen some so long that they almost touch the dash in smaller cars.

I've seen 4 or 5 "in the wild" so far, each time I've wondered if it belongs to a member on here.

First one I saw was a Transcend DP200, on a Suzuki Swift RE4.

In almost five years of using dash cams I've only seen one other one in a local vehicle. It was a cheap generic Chinese one in the truck owned by our recently retired police Chief.

The only other one I've seen was also a Chinese generic. It was mounted crooked and in a van being driven by an out of state driver who was acting like a selfish dangerous a**hole out on the interstate highway.

Last edited:
Since having dashcam, I always look for one in other cars but nothing so far except backup cameras.

i saw 2 for the first time the same week last month. then an uber driver had one the next week. then one day my neighbor who parks in the stall next to me suddenly had one. makes me wonder if he saw the 3-6 i have in my car at any given time haha. he has one of the itronics i believe.

Have been on look out too. Nothing yet. Maybe my route and routine is different from dashcam junkies.

And there is proof that more Americans have dashcams, at least in the Russian dashcam fail channel i keep up with :D

I couldn't quite work this out but looked like one of those older mini clones maybe - you can see it hanging to the left of the rear view mirror.

dashcam.jpg

I couldn't quite work this out but looked like one of those older mini clones maybe - you can see it hanging to the left of the rear view mirror.

Hmm, there appears to be another dash cam looking device attached to the windscreen as well. You can even see the cable in this "enhanced" enlargement.

dashcamonboard.jpg

Back