Say Hypothetically, You Get Into an Accident... (You Decide)

I'd still say never tell them..... and get a rear camera!!
I just posted in your vid thread but I'll say this, if you're intending to become a regular youtube uploader, GET the rear cam! You'll be surprised what it picks up without you even seeing it yourself!

Twice the amount of idiots for half the driving

Oh believe me I already plan on it, and that collision was the moment it was confirmed for me that I need a second one facing out the back. And I know what you mean, like when you hear the occasional horn behind you but don't always see what happened, it always annoys me that it didn't happen in front of me, haha!

Have to also consider they can change their story about admitting guilt at scene especially after knowing how much cost and penalty to them will be involved.
Without them knowing I have recordings, they can tell their fantasy stories and I have proof of the real thing.

You have excellent evidence your light is green BUT you worry about your speed being shown on your dash cam footage. What do you do then?
I would tell them the speed indication on dash cams is not reliable, and I really wasn't doing 600mph+

I would tell them the speed indication on dash cams is not reliable, and I really wasn't doing 600mph+

Those pedestrians almost never stood a chance!! :D

Over here, if you were 1 km/h over the limit, it *could* make a difference in the allocation of liability in court. Even though my dashcam has GPS, I choose not to have the speed displayed on the video. While the speed could be calculated, within some margin of error, based on the objects in the video, I think it's unlikely that a lawyer for the other party would go to that effort unless it was obvious that I was significantly above the speed limit. But I'm absolutely not going to hand that evidence to them on a platter with GPS-approximated speed hard-coded on the video.

Let's say it's you vs. a red-light runner. Obviously the fault is that of the red-light runner. But to the court, if you were going over the speed limit, it means that you may have contributed to the crash, or increased the severity of the crash. If you were going 1 km/h over the limit, if means you can't stop as quickly, and the damage caused when you smash into the red-light runner's car will be greater.

Back to the question at hand, when I crashed a few years ago (an oncoming pickup turned in front of me), I didn't tell the pickup driver that I had a dashcam. But I did tell the police officer when he arrived. I had my laptop handy, so I downloaded the segment of the crash for the officer, who viewed it a few times. If I had not had my laptop with me, I would have told him that I have a dashcam, and I'll download the video and make it available later. That will probably be enough for the officer to extract an honest story from the other party. With two honest stories on the police report, the correct decision can probably be made even if the dashcam's video turns out to be faulty for whatever reason.

I would have told him that I have a dashcam, and I'll download the video and make it available later. That will probably be enough for the officer to extract an honest story from the other party. With two honest stories on the police report, the correct decision can probably be made even if the dashcam's video turns out to be faulty for whatever reason.

That's a good point. Keeping the dash cam secret may later "catch out" the other driver's lies to the officer but that means a whole lot of arguing and waiting while letters go back and forth. Being told by the officer I claim to have footage would mean most wrongdoers would tell the true story, unless (as may well happen) confused in the aftermath of an accident.

Having been at the wrong end of no end of idiots over the years, here's my take.
NEVER mention the cam. If the cam needs power to record, make sure it is recording before you get out to any confrontation - if needs be, stall the vehicle.
Turn off the radio, warn your passengers to keep quiet. Wind down windows.
No doubt the idiot will have plenty to say, try to keep calm, repeat the mantra "let's leave it to the insurance". Try to make sure you get the idiot to stand in front/slightly to the side of your vehicle - all their rantings should be clearer for the cam to hear.
Let the idiot ramble, if necessary, try to play it all down - almost being subservient, let them think they have the upper hand in the argument "why did you do that? Couldn't you see...?" "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise - let's leave it for the insurance", "I do hope you're all alright"... Don't be confrontational, the idiot is already feeling like they have the advantage, allow them to believe their story is gospel. Once you have swapped details, get on your way if possible. By now, they will start to go over the events in their head - as they perceive them, the fact that you seem to have agreed to everything they said now means they can add unicorn farts and fairy dust into the mix.
Their insurance will be informed within the hour & have contacted your insurance. Your insurer will recount their side of the story & talk about you accepting blame. By now, though, you have checked your cam footage a couple of times and, amazingly, can recall the incident in perfect detail. At this point, your insurer will go off to counter the claim.
Meanwhile, you have driven the area again when quiet (if nearby) or have pics from every google streetcar plus all the aerial footage you can find so you can point out every road sign, lane marking etc.
When you make your claim, it'll take you hours to type everything out because you will be including pics from google street view as well as relevant stills from your cam - at every second if relevant. You will also be adding edits to the cam clip where the footage stops to point out signs and markings.
Your insurer is going to wonder where the hell this other guy had his accident since his description will, by now, bear no resemblance whatsoever to the events on camera.
Can't fail to win - as long as you have stuck to the facts. Try not to mention speeds, even without gps on the footage, your speed can be calculated if they deem it essential.

And if i might add, if the other part spot your camera, just say well your was lucky the camera stopped working last week and i haven't gotten a new one yet.

Just like politics its a game of keeping the other part in the dark, so they can appear stupid and ill informed,,,,,, and in our case try to weasel out of blame, which will just be even better when you later on whip out your irrefutable evidence.

Been in an accident before where the other party lied about the while accident. I never revealed I had a dashcam until I spoke with my insurance legal team. I didn't even bother informing the police officer on scene. Trust no one

Thats why you pay for insurance, it is their fight on your behalf.
All you should do is your written statement and then provide a copy of the video, the rest are up to the insurance company.
If you can get the other part to make document fraud on his insurance papers and maybe even give false evidense on the site, well thats just better if you ask me.

Thats why you pay for insurance, it is their fight on your behalf.
Hah! Where I live, the insurance is a government monopoly. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, but when both parties are covered by the same insurance company, their incentive is to minimize the payout and spread the blame as widely as they can.

In my last crash, I was treated well, but I think that's because the cop told the other guy that it was 100% his fault, and I had video proof, so when the other driver called the crash in to the insurer, he admitted full liability, and I received an email from them the next morning letting me know as much.

I've also heard of numerous cases where there was a detail that the adjuster overlooked, and simply spread the blame 50/50, requiring weeks/months of effort to clarify and correct. A former colleague was hit by somebody pulling out of a business' driveway. He didn't have a dashcam, the other driver lied, insurance shrugged and said 50/50. If the insurance co had read both stories, they would have realized that the collision damage wasn't consistent with the other party's story. My colleague spent a day going back to the scene of the accident to document how the other driver's story was impossible and writing up a report for the insurer, then he spent weeks waiting for the insurance adjuster to review his report and make a decision. It was decided in his favour, but it was obvious that the insurer's motivation wasn't getting to the truth of the matter.

Over here, if you were 1 km/h over the limit, it *could* make a difference in the allocation of liability in court.
Let's say it's you vs. a red-light runner. Obviously the fault is that of the red-light runner. But to the court, if you were going over the speed limit, it means that you may have contributed to the crash, or increased the severity of the crash. If you were going 1 km/h over the limit, if means you can't stop as quickly, and the damage caused when you smash into the red-light runner's car will be greater.
Trust me, if it went that way I wouldn't feel a single micron of pity about the red light runner's car damages! But what if it was the other way around? What if it was the RLR that hit you? Would the judge then say "oh, too bad you weren't 5 km/h over the limit, you could've avoided the crash"? :mad:

Last edited:
the red light runner's car damages!
I wouldn't care about their damage either! But the court will look at the total damage.
Let's say the RLR had $15K in damage and injuries, and my car had $35K in damage and injuries. Total damage is $50K. If the court assigns 10% of the liability to me, it means that $5K would be paid by my insurance company.

Or in another scenario, the RLR claims he isn't able to work anymore and will require a lifetime of disability payments. His damage is $500K, and mine is still $35K. Total damage is $535K. If the court assigns me 10% liability, it means that my insurance has to cough up $54K! For a crash that was mostly caused by the other party!

That doesn't answer any of my questions. ;)

Send it to the insurance company. If police write you up that it was your fault I would then show the camera and footage.

Not needed here, police will only be there if road are blocked or people have been injured ( ambulance called for )
Cops can and will take statements about the crash, but they will not be part of placing the blame.
And cops are not allowed to write anything up in regard to blame, just take statements, if the crash is suspicious or severe a dedicated crash investigator are called in, but he might be a former / upscale cop.

Sort of related but on water.
Just heard today that the guy that unlawful and with neglect operated a jet ski in the harbor of Copenhagen and by doing that killing 2 American girls in a boat, and then fleeing the scene, most embarrassing he is just going to serve 2 years in prison.

And for that a apologies to any decent human that is enraged by that, and the families , cuz really that's far too mild a sentence if you ask me.

Let the insurance companies battle it out. The first option will only lead to more problems if cops have not arrived yet. Second option the police may not care to see the video.

A reason NOT to have GPS. Let's say the accident was due to someone cutting across at traffic lights on red but you were going 5mph over the limit.
You have excellent evidence your light is green BUT you worry about your speed being shown on your dash cam footage. What do you do then?

Exactly and I've said this many times.

A camera with speed recording is a double edged sword and those who swear they never exceed the speed limit are unlikely to have not done so, because insurance surveys with a black box, have shown that almost all those that do claim to never exceed the speed limit do at some point. It's inevitable. No-one has 100% concentration and 99.9% of even careful drivers don't drive like granddad. As for the rest of us, which is the other 95% of the population, most do deliberately exceed the speed limit by a small margin when the road conditions allow, which again makes speed recording a dangerous tool.

That 5mph might be the difference between you succeeding in a claim in a no fault accident that couldn't be avoided despite the extra 5mph, and the companies settling by apportioning blame on you as well.

If speed becomes an issue it can easily be determined from the content of the video - with or without GPS.

I doubt it would stand up in Court. In Court in the UK at least, I'm pretty sure to allege speeding you have to be able to prove an exact speed not an approximate. You cannot charge someone criminally with generic speeding. You have to charge them with doing Xmph in a Ymph zone and to do that you have to be able to prove X mph exactly beyond any reasonable doubt, which is why speed guns have to be specially calibrated. It's impossible to do that from pure dashcam footage because of parallax and other lens errors / movement that affect the exact distance calculation. However, if the footage shows you obviously driving over the limit to the extent there's absolutely no doubt you're way over, then the footage could probably be used to show careless or dangerous driving. To that extent there may be a margin between the speed limit and stupidly over where the speed cannot be proven.

In a Civil Court, I'd expect any footage purporting to show someone over the limit to be challengeable the exact same way, albeit the level of proof is lower. However, the person claiming the other party was speeding is still going to have to prove on the balance of probabilities they were, and it's still going to be open to the other party to claim that the speed cannot be accurately calculated from the video and so it cannot be proven. It's all going to depend on what the video shows. Adding in GPS speed recording may take away some of that doubt. In my opinion, pure video is much harder to prove from because it becomes down to opinion and factors such as the lens and how wide a view it has, as this may also affect apparent speed when video is viewed. (Wider angle lens tend in my opinion to make speeds look higher than narrower lenses). Another good example is you look to be going faster in a lower car than a higher one eg SUV. All these factors can create doubt over the speed.

It depends on how strict the law wants to be. They recently said in our country they were introducing variable fines based on the percentage of your earnings, for speed infringements as low as 1mph over the speed limit.

Trouble in the UK is injure or kill someone and if the police can prove you were over at all, then they likely will nail you to the wall with potential prison. For just speeding, there traditionally has been a 10% margin with some forces, although it's not law and the police can prosecute you for 1mph over if they want to.

Alright so I've had a dashcam for about a month. I'm forever seeing people do dumb things on the roads, so just wanted to start making some YouTube videos

TBH I don't agree with anyone posting Youtube videos. Don't forget everyone makes mistakes / misjudgements and that person one day might be YOU! Anyone who says they never exceeded a speed limit, accidentally pulled out in front of someone at a junction, accidentally cut someone up eg on an island when they maybe lost their way around for a second (particularly here on 4 or 5 lane islands!), gone slightly too fast and slipped on ice even if only slightly putting the back out, etc etc is lying. We've all made mistakes when driving.

Also there' s little utility in it. Take the example of the 17 year old above who ran into the back of someone's car. So you post it. He's embarrassed at the time (even more so if it was a simple mistake). However, a few days later he's all but forgotten about it and unless he navigates back to your video, will probably never think about it again. As for others, they view your video and see someone run up the back of your car. What do they think? I'm never going to do that? No they watch it as entertainment, laugh at the guys misfortune and then move on. 24 hrs later they've forgotten about it. So what has it achieved? Precisely nothing. People don't watch Youtube and learn or think I'm going to drive more carefully. I've watched hundreds of car crash videos on Youtube, I doubt I could even remember one and non have influenced me to in any way drive differently. Posting videos is a waste of time and as I said, one day you could be the subject. All it does is provide someone else with momentary entertainment. It doesn't make the world safer and in some cases, it may even encourage others to try the same thing.

Have to also consider they can change their story about admitting guilt at scene especially after knowing how much cost and penalty to them will be involved.
Without them knowing I have recordings, they can tell their fantasy stories and I have proof of the real thing.

One thing to bear in mind is most insurance policies contain a clause that VOIDS that policy if you make any admission of liability. Don't believe me, read your small print. Although I've never heard of it being exercised, an admission of guilt could be the last thing you need to get or make as it could leave the policy voided and either you without cover for your own vehicle (if at fault), or you pursuing the other owner through the Courts who may or may not be able to pay for damage to your vehicle if his policy is voided. As I said, I've never heard of it being exercised but it is in there. Another positive factor is usually insurance companies don't punish 3rd parties so if they did void, they wouldn't necessarily not pay an innocent 3rd party out. Worth bearing in mind though before admitting or using admissions of liability.

Last edited:
Back