Screen stays on when protect button used

spanner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I updated my A119 to firmware v4 recently and noticed when I press the protect file button the screen remains on for the entire duration of that recording, my files records in 3 min sections and it appears that if I press the protect button, the screen wakes up, displays the exclamation mark (!) beeps, all that I expect to happen, but the LCD remains ON and displaying live video for up to 3 minutes, then screen goes off. It looks like a bug in this firmware that keeps the screen active for the remaining duration of the file that's being recorded. I've not extensively tested this but a couple off times I've pressed the button to protect a file and notice the screen remains on for much longer than it used to.

Any thoughts?

After a firmware update, you need to RESET all your previous settings, if any were ever changed from default. Did you do that? Also, from reading, sometimes one needs to press "Reset Defaults" before making any custom changes & after a firmware update. Try that, then make all your customized settings changes.

What is your screen saver time out set at? Maybe reset your loop recording if set at 3 min & try another time & see if there is a connection with loop recording, if it's not the screen saver function, as I think 3 min is the default for file recording length? It's in the manual, or you can just press Reset Defaults.

Also the manual suggests formatting the SD card before adding & then updating the firmware. If nothing else, try updating the firmware again, or try installing one of the firmware mods. You can also search the A119 Firmware Mods forum thread for troubleshooting & installing another file (can't recall the name) before updating the firmware, if things go really sideways. From my reading, updating the firmware can be done many times & should not break anything. The device user manual also has some info on firmware updating.

The file you are thinking of is the firmware to update the firmware loader on the device but it's very unlikely to be required as the device has already be up graded to FW 4.0. It more likely the settings need to be reset as you suggest. Definitely check the screen saver I set mine to 30secs-1min.

After a firmware update, you need to RESET all your previous settings, if any were ever changed from default. Did you do that? Also, from reading, sometimes one needs to press "Reset Defaults" before making any custom changes & after a firmware update. Try that, then make all your customized settings changes.

What is your screen saver time out set at? Maybe reset your loop recording if set at 3 min & try another time & see if there is a connection with loop recording, if it's not the screen saver function, as I think 3 min is the default for file recording length? It's in the manual, or you can just press Reset Defaults.

Also the manual suggests formatting the SD card before adding & then updating the firmware. If nothing else, try updating the firmware again, or try installing one of the firmware mods. You can also search the A119 Firmware Mods forum thread for troubleshooting & installing another file (can't recall the name) before updating the firmware, if things go really sideways. From my reading, updating the firmware can be done many times & should not break anything. The device user manual also has some info on firmware updating.

Hi and thanks for the info, I did do pretty much all those steps when upgrading, I reformatted the card, upgraded firmware, did a factory reset, reformatted the SD card again, made a couple of changes (I think I turned the beeps off) Screensaver was set to 30 seconds. If I press the menu or after initial power on, the screen goes off after 30 seconds so that seems fine, it's just if I press the ! write protect button to save a file, the exclamation is displayed, some beeps and the screen remains on much longer than usual.

I might well do the whole process again and see if there's any change although this glitch is not a huge issue to be honest but immediately noticed it after using v3.6 successfully for some months.

Back