SD card not formatting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have had this dashcam for quite a while now and has always been reliable, but just recently I get message on screen SD card error format card. When I try to format card it immediately returns to format card in settings. If I return to Home screen still receive the same message to format sd card. A few days ago while driving with this card still in dashcam screen went bright white, this stays on until I switch dashcam off and back on again, then I get the message format sd card. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can rectify this fault, I have attempted to change card with another one from an old phone which I have checked and the sd card was working fine in phone but gives the same error message when in the dashcam.

Welcome to the forum Benny.

Yeah a memory card do not last forever, their life / expected life are most often listed in full Write / delete cycles, and it is not unusual i card die early, i have tried 2 times to have nice expensive brand cards die before i got to fill them just 2 times.
It could also be your system of course as you have a Nextbase these use batteries inside for emergency power, these often swell up and die as they do not like cold or for that matter hot temperatures

They as i recall are also memory card finicky meaning you cant expect to be able to use just any memory card brand / model in them.

memory cards dying they often go into read only state, this mean you can copy stuff from them, but not onto them.

Usually a camera will also want to format the memory card.
A ancient system like you have probably do not support more than 32 GB size memory cards, today in modern systems 256 GB is recommended

I have myself for many years used 8 and 16 GB memory cards for firmware upgrades in my cameras, that have worked just fine

Hi, thanks Kamar, I noted the comment on camera's want to format an sd card. I duly pit my 32gb sandisk SD card in my Canon DSR camera but no joy so tried another card in it and it formatted card ok, put in my dashcam and voilà it now works ok again.

Keep a eye on it, Nextbase have been notorious for not liking too many memory card brands / models.
Also even today, every few months you want to do a format of the memory card in the dashcamera, this reset the file allocation table that can get fragmented with all the creating and deletion of little files.

Today most brands have a list of recommended memory cards with their different models, for sure something you will want to take a look at before you go buy a new memory card for your new camera, even if 256 GB are not the big expense today.

I can not recall how old this system are, but new cameras if the system encounter a error it will sound a alarm, in the old days a dashcam would just sit there and look to be working fine judging by LEDs ASO, but really it stopped recording months ago.
So the few minutes it take to look over a memory card on the computer, can be well worth it..
I use to do that with a interval of what i have stored on the memory card, but getting older with life and dashcams i have to admit i do not do it as often any more, but a big + here is i usually have several systems in my car, so if one have failed another will most likely have mu back ( the only big + of being a dashcam addict )

I look for drive sessions, and them starting and ending in relevant places, if you suddenly have a drive that start a few KM from your house, then that should warrant further investigation.
I just play a few seconds of each file i inspect, it would take forever or at least as long as it took to record all the footage if you had to sit there and look it all over 1:1
So i focus on first and last files, some times intermediate stops ( easy detected by a irregular file size ) in my case that's my favorite gas station - shops ASO, it take me 5 - 10 minutes to look over a full 256 GB memory card this way, and with my modest driving that is footage going back about 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Usually a camera will also want to format the memory card.
A ancient system like you have probably do not support more than 32 GB size memory cards, today in modern systems 256 GB is recommended

I have myself for many years used 8 and 16 GB memory cards for firmware upgrades in my cameras, that have worked just fine
That is just wrong. I have been using a 64GB card (Sandisk Ultra) in my 312GW for years. No problem.
It is not very ancient: decent dashcams should last decades. I do have the lastest firmware installed which I think is FW96655A. To the original poster: check that you have the latest firmware.

Also, check the card on a PC preferably running linux. Reformat there and confirm that it is OK.
If it then works in the dashcam, probably job done. You could try the on board reformat to make sure.

Back