SD card reader/viewer

TxDoc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S
Wanted to get some suggestions on a reader so I could remove the card, say at an accident, to review what happened.

I have a multi-card reader connected to my computer, but I don't want to drag that around.

I've seen little readers they plug into a smartphone with a micro USB, but my Moto z play uses a larger USB type C.
Thanks for any help.

Looks like you either need a USB-C card reader or a normal USB card reader coupled with a USB-C OTG cable.

The OTG cables have way more uses than you'll probably ever think of. I bought a cheap one which worked well while it lasted. I need to order a couple of new ones, hopefully of better quality. They come in handy for all sorts of things. USB mice, keyboards, external HDDs, memory sticks, I also used it to pair an old PS3 controller up to my phone which I use with various emulators.

For a card reader, I've been using this Anker USB 3.0 reader with both my laptop and my phone via an OTG cable. They only sell a newer version now which has a little wire on it instead of a rigid plug.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00LFIXC8I
I keep my dashcam essentials in a little cardboard box in my glove compartment. You never know when you might need something. ;)

14890927854971431316506.jpg

Thank you, KIP. Info I never knew before. I'LL use the link, too. Much appreciated help.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

In the past I kept an older laptop stashed in the vehicle but it finally died. And I don't have a smartphone nor am I geeky enough to know what else might be a cheap option for viewing a card in one's vehicle so any more ideas here would be welcome :D

Phil

In the past I kept an older laptop stashed in the vehicle but it finally died. And I don't have a smartphone nor am I geeky enough to know what else might be a cheap option for viewing a card in one's vehicle so any more ideas here would be welcome :D

Phil
If I were looking for a dedicated device for viewing dash cam videos in the vehicle I'd probably start looking at 7" tablets. There are a lot available fairly cheap and have the advantage of being usable for other purposes.

I just tried this setup yesterday.

OTG -> USB C adapter for my phone, and into that plugged the OTG USB A/micro USB card reader Street guardian provide with their dashcams.

Worked fine using the android player, but a app i wanted to use was not able to even see the SD card, but just viewing the videos ( android 6 ) worked just fine.

OTG_mayhem.jpg

As mentioned a fairly cheap quadcore 7" tablet with a micro SD slot, is also fine, and it can be used as a nice large NAV unit in day to day use.
I use google maps or a free offline NAV app of a Danish company, or you can go all the way and pay for TOM-TOM or Garmin NAV apps.
I myself use a Asus tablet like that in my car, fit almost like a glove beneath the lid of the dashbord top compartment in my little Suzuki ( will grab a pic of that on my drive shortly )

I also have the option of putting micro SD card in SD adapter and then put that in my 2 DIN headunit.

I have a lot of options most never used, but still nice to have.

Last edited:
You may also be able to find something like the Street guardian OTG card reader just with USB C instead of micro USB.

That should be out there as USB C are after all not that new any more, at least not to anyone but Apple :D

You may also be able to find something like the Street guardian OTG card reader just with USB C instead of micro USB.

That should be out there as USB C are after all not that new any more, at least not to anyone but Apple :D

USB-C is not really widespread as yet (I do have a phone that has it myself though) but I am looking to add a USB-C OTG card reader to our range so it's at least available as an option for customers, once it becomes widespread we'll make it the default and keep the Micro USB model as the option

Not a big problem just hit up google search and have the credit card ready when you found something, i just googled OTG USB C card reader

I just noticed the one i linked to above is actually USB C - micro USB and USB A at one time, and there are more similar to it.
Pretty sweet and meaning @jokiin dont have to store 2 different kinds, that is if he can find a similar product that he would put the SG brand on and feel good about it.

I am wondering why have the large USB A on a OTG reader, i mean if you are On The Go, then its normally with a small devise like a phone, and not a large devise like a MAXI tablet or a laptop which to my knowledge anyway have their own build in card reader ( at least my little sisters old laptop have a SD card slot )

I would just shoot for something with USB C and then micro USB secondary as backup, most things are micro USB now, but thats changing to USB C as i am typing here.

Off course with USB A on a OTG reader you can also use that at home on the desktop computer or laptop, but i think at home you should have something better like a good USB 3.0 / 3.1 multi card reader.

@TxDoc Just gonna put this here so others can benefit as well. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01COOQIKU

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00PBZQ0YO

And since my phone, Moto z play, uses type C USB, do I need anything else?

Is there a cord that would allow me to pull the SD card from the Fabian and copy it to a stick drive with the usual big USB ( I forget what it's called?)

Those two products should be perfect together. If you have more than one memory card, you can read/write to any 4 of the cards all at the same time. A bit like mine can do but mine only has the two slots.

To copy directly from the SD card to a normal USB memory stick, you'd need a card reader like that one you listed but something that also has another full size USB port on it as well. Otherwise for the one you listed above, you could copy from the SD card to your phone/tablet, swap the card reader for a USB memory stick then copy from the phone/tablet to the memory stick.

So like this:

Phone > USB OTG cable > card reader > SD card(s) (copy from SD card to phone storage (or to another memory card))
then
Phone > USB OTG cable > USB memory stick (copy from phone storage to memory stick)

Edit:
IMG_20170310_133009.gif IMG_20170310_132843.gif

Last edited:
I'll probably snag a tablet then but maybe another old laptop. I like having a PC of some kind there for reference use in my work and to see weather radar sites. Or put this laptop in there after getting another tower here at home. I just wasn't sure if there was a small LCD screen gadget that would do the job cheaper and and I am not going to replace my sturdy little dumb-phone ;)

Phil

A small 7" or so tablet would be great for this, just make sure it has an external MicroSD card slot (internal would work but will be more hassle) which also supports up to whatever the largest GB memory card is that you ever plan on using. Screen resolution and CPU power is something to bear in mind too for watching back 1080p or higher footage.

Some of the newer tablets can boot both android or if you prefer windows 10, thats pretty neat i think, i have this in mind as i would like to update my asus with the cracked screen.
But its low on my list, that getting longer and longer as i get more and more poor, or at least will never earn a decent buck again :(

Back