SD cards are only lasting 6-12 months and it's doing my head in!

What model was the Samsung you used? I’ve heard really good things about the Samsung Endurance Pro’s.

Is there any information or experience on if it’s better to format the memory card every few days or just let the new videos run their natural course and overwrite the older ones. Occasionally when I want to just see the videos for one day that I am out I will format the memory card on my iPhone for the dash cam app and then I know all the vids are just for that day. It just makes it easier to go through all the videos if I have to.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any information or experience on if it’s better to format the memory card every few days or just let the new videos run their natural course and overwrite the older ones. Occasionally when I want to just see the videos for one day that I am out I will format the memory card on my iPhone for the dash cam app and then I know all the vids are just for that day. It just makes it easier to go through all the videos if I have to.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most recommend formatting every 15-30 days.

Most recommend formatting every 15-30 days.
Again, that's not a set rule, it depends on so many variables that we can't even say it's "recommended". I hardly ever format mine and I empty it every day but unlike many people, I only filled it up and let it overwrite old files twice. Maybe when a card has to constantly overwrite old files it may need formatting more often.

i've gone through 4 SD cards in 2 years, all from PC world and all 32gb

1 was samsung, 2 were kingston and 1 was another random brand.

all the top spec/speed, all worked perfectly fine but eventually just stopped saving clips.

i've been through 2 cameras and tried my cars on my dad's dash cam and it's not my cam that has the problem

are they wearing out due to so much use? are they cooking cus the dash cam is on and warm/hot so often? is this normal, or am i buying the wrong cards?

i always get them from PC World, they usually cost me anywhere from £18 0 £30, i go for the best they have at the time
Hello Warren,
perhaps you should be looking at "High Endurance" Micro SD cards. These were invented specifically for Dash Cams/Security Cams, to stand up to very high numbers of recording cycles. I have one from Integral in my Nextbase 512, it works fine so far (not had it long). You can also get High Endurance from a few other makers.

Here is an Amazon link for a Samsung one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07CYF9SH5
the 32GB is £15.44, 64GB is £23.91. In the description for it, it says: "A single PRO Endurance card lasts as long as 25 EVO Plus cards, eliminating the need for frequent replacements and reducing reliability concerns"

hope this helps mate, cheers, Mark

Back