SD Cards- Which should I be using?

Got Trance

Reaction score
Ok. I am using an android smartphone as a dedicated dashcam using the DailyRoads Voyager app until I can find a reliable, affordable dashcam.
I am curious what type of sd card would be best.
Should I spring for a class 10 or is a class 4 sufficient?
What about size? 2gb, 8gb or 32gb?
What do you guys suggest?
How long can I expect the card to last?
I imagine these same question will apply to any dashcam on the market.

By the way. I deliver pizzas for a living. it is unbelievable the things the public will do and say to get a driver into trouble.
Many years ago, before all this great phone technology, I used a small vhs-c camcorder to record my journies. It did work great but even though "small" it was bulky and very limited in recording time.

Welcome aboard!

I would say spring for a class 10 if you Plan on getting a regular dash cam in the future so you can use it in the cam. The phone might be ok with the class 4, I'm not too sure the write speed on those phones. I picked up a 32gb class 10 sandisk at radio shack the other day on sale for 28 bucks. Try to get the largest capacity you can afford. Cams will record in a loop, but you still want to have plenty of recording time available. Especially for a lot of driving like you do.

The more research you do, the more you will see how much cams have progressed since the VHS-c days. Just be careful not to get a cheap knockoff cam, there are a ton of fakes out there. Check out the dash cam comparison page on here and feel free to ask a lot of questions,...the guys here will definitely steer you in the right direction.

I would also recommend class 10 card with 32GB.
Since you will be working and may not have time to get to a computer if something does happen you will want as much space as possible.
I keep a 32GB Ultra card in both my DVR-027 and GS8000 and record as much as possible personally.

with a class 10 in a DVR-027 i get a 1 second gap in clips when the camera goes to start a new clip.
with a class 4 in a DVR-027 i get a 4 second gap in clips when the camera goes to start a new clip.

HERE is a link for a 32GB class 10 sandisk MicroSD with free adapter on ebay for $28 bucks and free shipping. This is the same one that Radio Shack has had on sale for the last few weeks. Its normally upwards of $70.00. I'm not sure when the RS sale is ending, but I would scoop this one up if you can.

Amazon also has a micro ultra card for 28 dollars and BestBuy should price match it if you need it faster then shipping.

I'm using a Sandisk 32gb class 10 card ... it cost me 29.99 at BestBuy here in Canada - I believe that was on sale from 49.99

Back