Sears Steals American Inventor Wrench Idea and Then Makes Them in China

I think that happen a lot, also lately read many startups on those crowd funding sites get overtaken by Chinese knockoffs of products not even released yet.

"Sears believes in America."

The tragedy is that people still fall for it when companies come out with positive-sounding phrases like this.
It really isn't hard to tell that EVERY time a company spins a happy-clappy, touchy-feely, "aren't we wonderful, nice people" line, it's just a shameless attempt to manipulate people into buying their stuff.
It isn't new, but in this TwitFace age, it's depressing to see so many falling for it.

It's because Big Corporations don't have any patriotic moral. The only "moral" for them is $$$$$ and they don't care about being patriots and support their own country economy.

There are few good sayings:

"Money doesn't have nationality"
"Money does not stink"

This philosophy is baked into the DNA at Wal*Mart. Remember the slogan they used "Bringing it back to the USA" which they let people interpret as bringing jobs back to the USA when really they were just stating they were bringing the products to the USA from China and elsewhere.

Brian

And another reason to never shop at Sears again!

If you think about it basically hole western civilization history is based on stealing something from somebody (i dont want to mention stealing of north america here but i do;))
But this is new when they are basically eating off the very base they live on, nobody buys anything if everybody is out of jobs.

Well the entire rise of mankind was down to our ability to solve problems and share solutions through communication.

We've now brought communication to a whole new level, however at the same time sabotaged the reward for inventing. For individuals at least.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Even Snap-On tools are made in China now, and that is as "American" a company as there ever was. Ditto "Stanley" who had a big advertising campaign about "made in the USA" as they sold hardware made in China. There are essentially two approaches to all products: doing it as cheaply as possible for greatest profits or doing it at the highest level of quality possible and not having a large market buying from you. Some market exists in between but it's ephemeral. Everything is made in China these days because they can make it and ship it here cheaper than it can be made here. Same as happened here, they are discovering an environmental cost comes with cheap manufacturing as well as a refusal to pay high prices for their lower quality goods. If they want to continue to prosper they're going to have to change their ways and we're going to have to rebuild at least some of our manufacturing capability in a fashion which allows us to compete globally somewhere in that market.

Sabe has a point which has been much-overlooked to date: America is China's largest market but we can't buy without money so as our capital goes overseas to them we have less to spend so they can't sell as much, which in the end hurts both countries. Cash must circulate to have prosperity- cash is meaningless unless toy have something you can spend it on- and without manufacturing and trade you have nothing even if you're rich. So in time things will change- the world market always balances itself in the long run.

I try to buy locally-produced goods to support my local economy, but cost, convenience, and availability are factors here too so that it is impossible to do that 100% . And sometimes the non-local goods are so much better that you can't really choose anything else. But we've got to face the fact that today it's a global economy, not a national one, and that unless we compete well there we're going to founder and fail.

Phil

America is China's largest market but we can't buy without money so as our capital goes overseas to them we have less to spend so they can't sell as much, which in the end hurts both countries.
Phil

We now have a similar situation to the 1920s world economy, except the USA's role is reversed. The 1920s did not end well, for anyone.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Sears/Kmart is months or even weeks away from bankruptcy, IMO. Their stocks have been taking a beating for the past few years, and they're bleeding money like crazy.

As far as where things are made, I think it comes down to labor costs and cost of living, unfortunately.

Things imported from China are about to get a whole lot more expensive, if Trump has his way. This isnt necessarily a good thing, either.

Sears/Kmart is months or even weeks away from bankruptcy, IMO. Their stocks have been taking a beating for the past few years, and they're bleeding money like crazy.

As far as where things are made, I think it comes down to labor costs and cost of living, unfortunately.

Things imported from China are about to get a whole lot more expensive, if Trump has his way. This isnt necessarily a good thing, either.
$100. Chinese dash cam probably will cost $150.

The future is always an unknown. Cost of living is a somewhat artificial thing set by local want for given items and their availability; one can live relatively cheaply anywhere by avoiding the high-cost items in favor of more locally affordable ones. In SoCal the house I'm in would cost $250K, but here it's worth $25K at the most. The ten-fold difference us only a marketing thing- the build cost would be about the same in both places with the building lot making the difference. And marketing is always a rip-off technique meant to get as much of your money as possible. SoCal wages are at least double compared to here, but again comparatively someone there or here doing the same thing will end up with approximately the same possessions for a given time worked.

We can't overly hinder our trade with China simply because it is the only affordable source for so many things, or the only source with the production capacity to meet our needs. And whatever we do to them will be done to us in return, thus limiting out own economic potential for growth. Nobody has all the right (or wrong) answers because those answers do not exist. There are no limits to what is possible in relations with another nation, trade or otherwise, so it's a very tough and complex matter which has to be handled delicately if you want to keep doing well yourself. Where it all ends up is anybody's guess but I expect there's going to be a steep learning curve for some politicos which will end up being paid for by the average American instead of those doing the erring :( But that's the way it always is; nothing new there.

Phil

I remember a little thing ( i really shouldent as this is far from my "sphere" ) called the Emergency banking act of 1933

That as i recall turned out pretty well and even saw the US thru a major war.

Perhaps the monygrabbing freeloader bankers got to be put in line again. ?

I think "the fruit company" should have been building factories in the US instead of a fancy smancy new HQ, there is little reason why the "I thingies" cant be build in the US as it is after all a greatly automated process.

Still got the trading with the enemy act, perhaps other than N Korea need to be on it.

there is little reason why the "I thingies" cant be build in the US as it is after all a greatly automated process.

When you watch the promo videos that Apple put together about about how components are tested, selected, put together etc that they show at their product launches etc you'd reasonably believe that the products are mostly made by machines, that's a long way from the truth though, there's good reasons why 500,000 people work in the factory where they are made, the products are still predominantly built by people, when Apple first got into phones they were reported as having investigated building everything in the USA but the lead time alone on building and training the required workforce was quoted as being around 8 years from memory, they did it in 18 months in China

Yeah i know there is a lot of hands at work at Foxconn or where ever the infernal machines are made, but i think if you would you could do a lot more of that work on machines ( sure that dont give many jobs to Americans ) but if "the fruit company" would use 1/4 of its profit on each phone for salaries to Americans then there would be a lot of jobs in there, but maybe not as many as at Foxconn.

I also believe i heard somewhere Foxconn are about to out-phase all those humans in favor of non suicidal robots, they just haven't made the investment yet.

I refuse to believe they cant make a phone assembly line in the US, hell Nokia even did that in Finland, and i think they will be building phones up there again soon.
But the fruit company wont cuz they will rather make 300 dollars on each phone than creating American jobs, and then they filter those money thru European countries and hey presto no tax man no where get a dime.

Its like some people i know arguing a "fruit company" product cant be hacked, and im like ???? do you live with your head in a box, off course then can be and are being hacked

Last edited:
If Apple phones (11% of market?) and Android phones (much bigger pool/all other brands) were made in USA, they would probably cost 5000 instead of 800. Foxconn does production for many of these brands. The labor and other costs are just too high to compete, IMO. No one would be willing to work for the wages paid to make it happen. We could learn a lot from the auto industries history, which can support the much higher resulting price.

True they would end up being expensive if you had the same number of higher wage American hands on the product, you / we can only compete with them if its a highly automated process.
And even here in Denmark its problematic as we saw over here when LEGO moved most of their production to eastern EU.

Regarding the US auto industry, then i am a little perplexed over what happened :confused: but it is indeed sad how it ended.

In all of this it seem the environment is the biggest looser, both global and in China where everything goes it seem.
I think this will change one day, it sort of have to otherwise we humans are fooked, the current rate and way of doing things are unsustainable.

So long as the Global Capital greedy model ( maximum personal profit no matter how much it may harm “others“) is stronger than Moral-, Ethical-, Cultural etc. models, - we will not see any big changes unfortunatelly. This is continuous fight between good and bad which has been thousands years.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Back