Second/AUX Battery

Cammerhere

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really want park mode to run for up to 12 hours. Looking at USB power banks they wont tolerate the heat inside a car, might pose issues and 12v varieties seem to be limited. It appears the best option is to install an AUX battery of AGM type. Has anyone done this and used a battery isolator, as shown in the below link?

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm

My dual Panoramas run for days with no backup battery. I do have a Power Magic Pro + to shut them off if voltage gets too low but it never has in my 2015 Nissan. It did in my Jetta TDI on occasion when the engine was finishing a cleaning cycle that took a lot of juice.

Anyway, if I ever do have problems or want guaranteed power for extended periods, I would go with the setup that you posted. There is a weight and space penalty there and I wonder if a smaller motorcycle battery would do the job.

I really want park mode to run for up to 12 hours. Looking at USB power banks they wont tolerate the heat inside a car, might pose issues and 12v varieties seem to be limited. It appears the best option is to install an AUX battery of AGM type. Has anyone done this and used a battery isolator, as shown in the below link?

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm
An AGM battery has a similar temperature range to a lithium powerbank - they should both be put somewhere cool and definitely not in full sunshine. They also need mounting in a way that they will not get damaged in an accident - you don't want the weight of an AGM (lead) battery taking your head off or a punctured lithium powerpack burning while you are trapped in the car!

The advantage of an AGM battery is that it will charge much faster than a powerbank, you might get 12 hours recording from a half hour charge instead of 2 hours recording from a half hour charge with the powerpack. It wont like being fully discharged though, and you need one intended for deep discharge, not a motorcycle starter battery - that wont last long if you empty it regularly.

I think the best solution is to use the main car battery with a voltage cut off like Number400, that is much simpler.

My dual Panoramas run for days with no backup battery. I do have a Power Magic Pro + to shut them off if voltage gets too low but it never has in my 2015 Nissan. It did in my Jetta TDI on occasion when the engine was finishing a cleaning cycle that took a lot of juice.

Anyway, if I ever do have problems or want guaranteed power for extended periods, I would go with the setup that you posted. There is a weight and space penalty there and I wonder if a smaller motorcycle battery would do the job.

Im looking at a 2ch camera and dont see that offered in the Panoramas. My initial install Ill try the power magic pro+ and see how it handles. If my setup doesnt last 12 hours then Ill have to look into a dual battery.

Im looking at a 2ch camera and dont see that offered in the Panoramas. My initial install Ill try the power magic pro+ and see how it handles. If my setup doesnt last 12 hours then Ill have to look into a dual battery.

I have some dual channels but now prefer separate cameras front and rear. There have been some discussions around here on pros and cons but for my purposes, it's easier to get footage as well as having a backup (spare) camera ready to go if the front camera dies. Also, the PMP+ (dual plug) is out of production I think. I was lucky to snag one. I am sure that there are other units out there that do the same thing.

Back