SG9663DR update

Suction cups are the facebook of dashcams, evil and not really necessary. :giggle:

Is there any other way to attach dashcams to the rear side windows on a "temporary" basis?
Because once the rear windows wind down completely, the dashcam will fall off.

On my little hatchback i have the rear camera installed on the rear hatch frame with a neodymium magnet that then also space out the cameras as much as i need, i have always used this method for my rear camera.
Some do the same off the headliner, then you of course have to put a little pice of sheet metal above the headliner so the magnet have something close to grab on to.
I also use this magnet trick on my L side camera over the rear door in my 5 door hatchback, but i have folded a pice of sheet metal up so it can slide over the headliner so the magnet there have direct touch with steel..
The lens are mm from the glass and i have no problems doing 80 km/h highway speeds with the window down and the camera ( mobius ) exposed to the wind. ( use 2 smaller magnets side by side here )
Some also use the dual-sided tape that come with cameras to mount off the plastic trim on their rear hatch.

Back in the day i even had a camera installed on the center of my 3 rear headrests, just using rubber bands, but this leave me with more than the rear window in the footage and also the heater elements in the rear glass, and that mess with my OCD.
Also rubber bands to get destroyed by sunshine, but it was a nice and easy approach.

It is just the imagination really, and what will be fairly small and light camera units in the DR system will just make it more easy to do what every you want to try.

On my little hatchback i have the rear camera installed on the rear hatch frame with a neodymium magnet that then also space out the cameras as much as i need, i have always used this method for my rear camera.
Some do the same off the headliner, then you of course have to put a little pice of sheet metal above the headliner so the magnet have something close to grab on to.
I also use this magnet trick on my L side camera over the rear door in my 5 door hatchback, but i have folded a pice of sheet metal up so it can slide over the headliner so the magnet there have direct touch with steel..
The lens are mm from the glass and i have no problems doing 80 km/h highway speeds with the window down and the camera ( mobius ) exposed to the wind. ( use 2 smaller magnets side by side here )
Some also use the dual-sided tape that come with cameras to mount off the plastic trim on their rear hatch.
Unfortunately with more and more cars coming with side curtain airbags, mounting any camera on the side is becoming less practical all the time. There's not many places that are safe to put a camera that won't become a projectile if the airbags deploy.

If you're lucky you'll have some fixed piece of glass that you can mount something to, such as a rear quarter window in an SUV/van, or part of the back door glass that doesn't roll down, but that's not an option in every vehicle. You'll just have to get creative and come up with something unique that works for your own vehicle.

Indeed side cameras are becoming more complicated, and no one have even started to make those yet.
ATM all i can see for a "optimal" mounting location are down low on the door at the bottom of the glass, a side airbag will probably reach that far down, but at least then if a camera get in the way it will just be "shot" / pushed further down where in most cases there should be no chance of damage to a human occupant.

I have a little fixed glass on my rear doors,,, and also on the front doors, but new side camera i think i will have to put on the rear doors, though that will like 3 X my workload to install them.
Of course i already have a few ideas lined up i would like to try if i get my hands on a dual remote camera, and if it have camera units that have a suitable shape.

One problem i have come up with is if you mount on top of door / but bottom of glass, then you can roll down side window to service / clean lens, but the glass in front of the lens you cant get to clean easy with the window up.
Same go if you mount it on a fixed pice of glass.
So really a side camera will have to be detachable too or at least be able to swivel 90 degrees so you can get to clean the glass, which frustrate me a little in my make believe projects.

I would be apprehensive if i was "hard" rubbing like that on the lens, while i do use a lens cloth on my lenses now and then i almost just use it as a fan and "fluff" the lens.
I would not like to put pressure on the cloth touching the lens.

If the DR cameras are anything like the DC or A129 rear camera, you can easily slide the camera off the little mount to clean it if necessary (or to clean the glass of the window).

If the DR cameras are anything like the DC or A129 rear camera, you can easily slide the camera off the little mount to clean it if necessary (or to clean the glass of the window).

yes they easily detach, that said I wouldn't suggest using them on a window that rolls down anyway

Indeed have to be stationary glass, or something else.
Most people cant do what i do with my car ( pretty much what i please ) or are so fortunate to have a car like mine that lend itself so well to dashcams install pretty much no matter where you would wish to put one or more.
Sure from a onlooker perspective it is easy to see the 4 cameras on my windscreen, but from the driver seat i could fit 2 more and still feel good a cop would not fly off the handle over it.
The 4 cameras i already have wasent even noticed when i had my car inspected earlier in the year.

Where is the best place to watch for release of this camera? It sounds like exactly what I want!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

In here or i assume street guardians own home page.

kamkar1, do you have any pics you can post?

I think they are in the how did you install your camera,,,, let me have a dig around.

BRB

Yeah i have some pics here of the current install of cameras front and rear.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-54#post-400588

And i have a video featuring the 2 side cameras here, the L one using the folded over pice of metal on the headliner and a couple of magnet glued and taped to the camera ( mobius )

I just used some little metal bracket as i had no access to sheet metal when i got the idea, anyway it work fine and have so for years.
The lump on the front of the camera are to force it down a little as it was otherwise filming a bit too much upwards, not so elegant but it work, had i had access to a shop i would of course have made a more elegant solution.

Last edited:
By that jokiin mean the USB plug that go into the camera, the DC have a angled plug as it connect to the right side of the camera, the DR i assume use a strait plug,,,,,, though on the DR with the main unit being "on the loose" so to say i cant imagine the angled plug being a problem ?
But better lean on the expert, besides none of us had the chance to feel up a DR model yet.

But other than that plug to the camera the hardwire kits are much the same.

Back