SG9663DR update

Yes that's why i have said several times in posts regarding dual remote systems " just don't bury it too deep in your car"
I think i would personally prefer to have the main unit out of the way, but still accessible to some degree, so for now my plans are to fab up a mount for the back side of my glove box, so i can just reach in and pull the unit out as far as a little slack in the cables allow for.
But it is hard to say as i don't know the layout of such a main unit, i would prefer if all the cable I/O was in one end / side of the box, as that would make installing and occasional handling so much easier.

Yes that's why i have said several times in posts regarding dual remote systems " just don't bury it too deep in your car"
I think i would personally prefer to have the main unit out of the way, but still accessible to some degree, so for now my plans are to fab up a mount for the back side of my glove box, so i can just reach in and pull the unit out as far as a little slack in the cables allow for.
But it is hard to say as i don't know the layout of such a main unit, i would prefer if all the cable I/O was in one end / side of the box, as that would make installing and occasional handling so much easier.
I also have a glasses holder in my roof that would make a good little cubby hole for it but again depends on the unit and wiring.

I'm sure the good people at SG have had a fair few sleepless nights trying to make it as widely suitable as possible for the varied uses it may get.
I'm imagining something like the K1S but actually works. And less like the old RC unit that heavily limited the installation options due to its size and shape.
I wonder if the GPS module is in the front camera to keep component count down.

My main goal will be to have it accessible but also away from anyone being able to knock it accidentally.

I know some people have mentioned tucking the DR unit away out of sight and just accessing the camera via WiFi. I don't know how the DC functions, but on the similar spec A129 Duo the video bitrates are compromised if WiFi is connected whilst driving. Just something to think about.

The DC do have wifi too, but not yet supported by a APP from SG them self, so as far as i have tested support from other APPs are not 100% but it is up there.
And i do have a sneaky feeling SG might be pushing harder with their own APP now that the DR are also on the horizon, cuz with that model though it also have a screen wifi make even more sense.

Does anybody know what sensor will be used in remote cameras?
In this discussion I could only find out that it will have the same specs as SG9663DC but it has IMX291 front and IMX323 in back with much worse low light performance

I think it will be the IMX 291 all around, the DC will probably also see a update to that configuration.

Does anybody know what sensor will be used in remote cameras?
In this discussion I could only find out that it will have the same specs as SG9663DC but it has IMX291 front and IMX323 in back with much worse low light performance

both cameras are IMX291

I'm imagining something like the K1S but actually works. And less like the old RC unit that heavily limited the installation options due to its size and shape.
I wonder if the GPS module is in the front camera to keep component count down.

similar size to the K1S, the RC was way too big as the original design included a radar detector which was in the back half of the unit

GPS is external but not in the camera, that would cause problems

similar size to the K1S, the RC was way too big as the original design included a radar detector which was in the back half of the unit

GPS is external but not in the camera, that would cause problems
I remember being tempted by the K1S at the time but the price and lack of user reviews stopped me. Then the RC was potentially one of the most discreet aside from Innovv's C3(?) or the mobius with the lens extension cable. Didn't know it had a radar detector too.

So we're looking at 4 cables in to the unit:
Power
2x cam (interchangeable?)
GPS

Should be fairly easy to keep tidy, especially somewhere like a glove box. I recall the RC lacked screen rotation but would it be safe to say the DR would have it as a option to allow for more flexibility mounting?

Well the RC was supposed to have a radar detector build in too by some one, but i think that idea never got that far in any form / brand, SG i think was never going to add the radar detector part as that would just make the product more expensive, and that part are also outside of their core business which was smaller back in those days.
And i assume yes to the 4 cables on the DR, and also cameras being interchangeable.
With a hidden main unit i think i would presonally like to put the GOS antenna on the dashboard and not the windscreen, but i assume the internals can be flipped like on the very first GC models.

Well the RC was supposed to have a radar detector build in too by some one, but i think that idea never got that far in any form / brand, SG i think was never going to add the radar detector as that would just make the product more expensive, and that part are also outside of their core business which was smaller back in those days.
And i assume yes to the 4 cables on the DR, and also cameras being interchangeable.
With a hidden main unit i think i would presonally like to put the GOS antenna on the dashboard and not the windscreen, but i assume the internals can be flipped like on the very first GC models.

we never did the radar detector version as they're illegal here, same chassis though

GPS antenna will be the longer cable dashmount type, window mount is less appropriate for this type of install

Yeah but did anyone ever get that far to sell that bundle, the only other model i can recall was also just the dashcam.

Okay.
I do like the radar and laser detectors, even if they are illegal here too, but for the price of a quality one and the fact you have to remove it from the windscreen all the time, then really i cant be bothered.
Still,,,,,, cool gadgets.

The remote and GPS would be optional I assume?

Depending what the remote can do (file lock mainly?) then I'd probably skip it.

But with a dash mount GPS and two nice small cameras it's looking to be a good setup.
Might actually have to take the junk out my glove box. My Kia has a lot of space to get things in and around to there easily.

Hehe my glove box are clean of non dashcam related stuff, ,,,, still a lot down there in my 5 and 12 V power station. ( 7 of my 8 dashcams get their power from my glove box )
The worst for me now is the open 10 X 45 Cm or so storage above the glove box, that i can clean up, and within weeks its full of stuff again,,,, and i use my driver side door pocket for garbage bin as i dont throw stuff from my car.

GPS antenna will be the longer cable dashmount type, window mount is less appropriate for this type of install
Ideally the connectors would be the same either way, as I would almost certainly be stashing away the head unit and attaching GPS to the underside of the dash (facing up through the plastic dash and the windshield), which seems like it would lend itself the same orientation as current GC models. Everyone has a different idea of what would work best for them, so if the connectors are the same regardless, then everyone can be happy.

1. I don't think the cables and connectors will be happy if you will take out the main camera from its place just to look at the screen, take the card out, etc.
2. That plastic box will make the camera too hot even you will drill some holes. @jokiin should already be aware that some users will try to use some boxes like in above post and the camera will be not cooled as he expects. I don't know how is looking the final product but maybe is better if it will contain some system to fix it in some hidden place and maybe some hard rubber band.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have a metal box for the 2x RC’s in my glove compartment. Box is lined with 3M EMF material, since the RC’s like to affect my key fob signal [emoji23].

b576e1c882a347a7d10352d11be9403d.jpg

*Photo has lid removed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to shut the RF up on those puppies :cool:

Reactions: RLS
Back