SG9663DR update

With some of what I had read in here, I'll be wanting the DR to replace the two X2s as side cameras. Also debating X2 Pro or DR for blackvue replacement

Yay the wife is finally awake, now to go get breakfast.

If SG send a DR to me, which i am pretty sure they will do, then my plan was to use it as side cameras, but now maybe i will move the K2S test camera for that duty.
Either way the dual remote systems are really exiting for the people wanting side cameras too, i am often neglecting my 2 single side cameras in my uploads as it is too much effort to bring / access one or both of them.
A dual camera with both sides recorded on 1 memory card in a main unit i can reach with ease from the driver seat, this will change everything in this regard for me.
To be honest i think i might have to start experimenting with dual cabin cameras soon, so i will have a front to back and a back to front camera too, which i recon are pretty much the ultimate uber / lyft setup.

I really really hope i get some lotto luck soon, my little Suzuki from a camera perspective are beginning to feel a little cramped, and also that would make it possible to personally return some of the love people around the world are showing me, and i cant do that now to the degree i want to do, and it do frustrate me a little.

I am not used to feel like i owe people something, normally i always stretch so far i feel people are owing me, so this are all new feelings i am trying to learn how to deal with,,,,, and though strange for me it is also invigorating to a degree.
The "love" thing, well that's a totally new experience for me, i have always done my best to not get in situations like that as i have been burned a few times, and i have a really hard time dealing with personal feelings in this regard.
Its also decades since my last hug, person 2 person contact are not big in my family or with my friend / relations, i am pretty sure if some one pull one of those on me i would just freeze up like Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper.
Though i have seen on TV how to do and handle those :)

Haha pretty sad SOB i am,,,,, if not sad then surely "special" :LOL:

Gee Kamkar1, are you sure the Suzuki is rated to carry the weight of all those cams? :ROFLMAO: I (fondly) remember my Honda 1200 Civic, a bit small but a solidly reliable and fun car to drive. No real safety features or requirements back then which made it very light unlike today's cars, but I think I wouldn't be alone in trading all that for the 50+ MPG I could get from it :cool: I've noticed that the 45A alternator in my workvan is marginal at idle with headlights and heater fan on which so far hasn't resulted in a cam problem but I'd like more. Next junkyard-hunting day if I can find one (and if I can afford it) I'll get the 60A version which is a drop-in replacement and has more low-RPM output too. Transmission shop says they should have it done Tuesday- I hope they got it right this time!

I do see dual-remote cams as perfect for side-cams, and what makes them so good there will apply to front and rear use too. I think that in a few more years time, the "standard-size" front cam with an added rear module will be seen as being a bit outdated. I'm really hoping the day will come when we can do a
plug-and-play' style cam upgrade by swapping out the remote modules to ones with newer better sensors with just a firmware upgrade instead of having to change out everything like has to be done now. I'm sure there will be hardware limitations involved limiting how far we can go, but it's still something I'd like to see occur someday :)

Phil

Jokiin put on pressure with his last parcel, and given the development in the brand and market in general i have a sneaky feeling the next parcel from him will not be less substantial.
So even if i wipe my windscreen and just keep the K2S in play there will be a lot of crawling around my car and installing and moving stuff around, so i hope the spring now that it have started will be just like last year cuz not only will i have cameras to install en mass i will also have to put 2 new headlights in my car as the left one are now cracked and have water inside it.
Only plus being a brand new headlight cost less than half of what i expected them to cost, but it is still 1600 DKkr for 2 new ones, which if i had a choice i would rather have used for a new windscreen.
Funny thing i have yet to see a car like mine with the same crackling plastic in the headlights, last time at the dealer they asked if i ran after market bulbs ,i said no its the same 55 W as from the factory, and actually the left one are still the original one, the right bulb i have now changed 2 times since 2012.

And the law don't allow me something like this, though the Suzuki headlights are not in a favorable shape for something like that.

vacuum-formed-headlight-cover-14183294.png

I think that in a few more years time, the "standard-size" front cam with an added rear module will be seen as being a bit outdated.
One of the benefits of the standard front cam with a remote rear cam is that the screen&controls are in a fixed position that's easy to access. It will be interesting to see how users of dual remote systems find ways to stash away or securely mount the control unit, and whether all those wires can be kept tidy within the cabin.

One of the benefits of the standard front cam with a remote rear cam is that the screen&controls are in a fixed position that's easy to access. It will be interesting to see how users of dual remote systems find ways to stash away or securely mount the control unit, and whether all those wires can be kept tidy within the cabin.

That will depend a lot on how well thought out the base unit is designed.

it's quite a challenge and I don't think there's any design that will suit everyone

No doubt it's a challenge but I guess that's where creativity and innovative design comes into play. I think @TonyM is on target mentioning a variety of mounting options and hopefully it will be more than just a box with a screen and some buttons on it.

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum, Hello from Texas!

I was looking at getting the Blackvue 900 2ch, Thinkware 800pro 2ch or even the Garmin 50 1ch!

But happened to come upon SG and this 2 channel 9663 looks amazing and affordable! Now how would you all say it compares to the above I mentioned!

Lastly, should I wait for the SG9663DR, the heat in the summer in Texas is harsh, we are planning a long road trip from Texas to Boston in the summer!

What is the current status on the upcoming SG9663DR!

Thanks from Texas!

If stealth are not big on your agenda due to personal feelings, or maybe the install options on your windscreen due to its layout, then you can easy go for one of the current systems, the hardware are pretty much the same.
The DR only differ in it have both cameras on a cable, so they are smaller on the glass for sure, and the main unit you can stash in a secure place, this in theory should also mean it should last longer in parking mode in a hot sunny place as the main unit are out of the sun.
But other than the design of the physical camera there are no secret sauce compared to the current 2 channel cameras with IMX 291 in both cameras.

What is the current status on the upcoming SG9663DR!

no firm ETA just yet, I may have a better idea this time next week when I'm back in the factory, will get an update on the progress of some things we've been working on then

If stealth are not big on your agenda due to personal feelings, or maybe the install options on your windscreen due to its layout, then you can easy go for one of the current systems, the hardware are pretty much the same.
The DR only differ in it have both cameras on a cable, so they are smaller on the glass for sure, and the main unit you can stash in a secure place, this in theory should also mean it should last longer in parking mode in a hot sunny place as the main unit are out of the sun.
But other than the design of the physical camera there are no secret sauce compared to the current 2 channel cameras with IMX 291 in both cameras.

What does that mean, sorry kinda new to this! both cameras on a cable vs the other way, what is the other way besides both on a cable!

Thanks for help!

What does that mean, sorry kinda new to this! both cameras on a cable vs the other way, what is the other way besides both on a cable!

Thanks for help!

he means in the current dual channel cameras only the rear camera is remote from the main camera, with the DR the main unit is hideaway and both cameras are remote

he means in the current dual channel cameras only the rear camera is remote from the main camera, with the DR the main unit is hideaway and both cameras are remote

Sorry again, but when you say Remote, what does that mean! rear cam remote and new SG will have both cams remote? What is the benefit of both remote!

Thanks

remote meaning just a single cable from the main unit to the actual camera, a remote camera is smaller than a dashcam with a built in camera, it can be more stealth although the install is a bit more work, and it can run a little cooler overall

remote meaning just a single cable from the main unit to the actual camera, a remote camera is smaller than a dashcam with a built in camera, it can be more stealth although the install is a bit more work, and it can run a little cooler overall

Thanks,

So on the new SG both are remote camera's which is better, but a little harder install!

Back