SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

I've mentioned previously that I prefer aiming lower to obtain more coverage on either side of my front fenders but aiming higher seemed to improve exposure/contrast performance in bright high contrast conditions since the introduction of the recent firmware updates. With some of today's footage I've noticed that aiming the camera higher is causing darker under-exposed images when the camera is compensating for having a lot of sky in the FOV. So, in light of this discovery I'm very much looking forward to testing out the "No Low" exposure setting.

This screen shot appears as a dark overcast day, which it was not.
nowlow.jpg

depending on how you prefer to aim your camera
Not really an option here, cant move it further up.
I upgraded but wanted to keep the files I recorded previously on the card. So I had to copy back and forth.

Is skipping the format and removing the firmware by hand an option?

what timezone setting do people in the UK use?

Maybe can consider AE table naming as "AE active area", selectable options:
1. Top 3/5 ( aka low cut )
2. Full 5/5 ( aka full frame )
3. Centre 3/5 ( aka centre wedged )

In user manual make a screenshot with 5 horizontal areas. Add green "transparent / masking" color to "active area" and red to "cut area" corresponding to each setting value. This will explain settings values in graphics.

For centre weighed, would the word Horizon be any good somehow?

Maybe can consider AE table naming as "AE active area", selectable options:
1. Top 3/5 ( aka low cut )
2. Full 5/5 ( aka full frame )
3. Centre 3/5 ( aka centre wedged )

In user manual make a screenshot with 5 horizontal areas. Add green "transparent / masking" color to "active area" and red to "cut area" corresponding to each setting value. This will explain settings values in graphics.

will probably just look to adding detail to the manual and explaining which setting might suit each circumstance best, it's still a bit personal preference also, what you like someone else might not and vise versa

I can explain it further in the manual so it's really only the short name that needs to indicate what the setting is for...:p
You have more faith than I do that users would actually read the manual. :eek: :D

You have more faith than I do that users would actually read the manual. :eek: :D
I did and then I complained here about the sg9665 not having a playback mode! :D

First beta22 results, wrong car I know, but still on the LOW somethingsomething.

@Feitelijk like the top video, not stopping for cyclist illigally cycling in the crosswalk :cool:

Yeah, car behind me stopped. I have loads of those videos, try to scare them just enough to prevent them doing it the next time

If i have time i will comment either as i drive by or i will stop right then and there and tell the person a fjew things.

I think its only the right thing to do, stupid ppl can only get wiser if smart ppl tell them where they are wrong. If you dont then the world go to hell.

Going to give latest beta a try as the bottom 1/4 of my video is dark bonnet and dash.

Just to be clear, Low Cut, is Top weighted correct? So it ignores the bottom part of the video for AE?

Centre cut is centre weighted?

If so, they seem a bit conflicting, as one means cut out the bottom, the other is only the centre cut?

Also, just going back through beta 19 footage, the GPS seems to take a lot longer to get a fix than it used to.

Going to give latest beta a try as the bottom 1/4 of my video is dark bonnet and dash.

Just to be clear, Low Cut, is Top weighted correct? So it ignores the bottom part of the video for AE?

sort of, the bottom is cut but the top has no extra weighting added

Centre cut is centre weighted?

If so, they seem a bit conflicting, as one means cut out the bottom, the other is only the centre cut?

this will be renamed in the release version there is cut but it is also center weighted

I was able to make some time today to flash beta 22 and do some limited testing.

So far, initial tests with the "Low Cut" setting have been disappointing compared with the previous firmware set to "Average".

Generally speaking, normal looking scenes seemed somewhat underexposed, similar to my last post where an excess of bright sky causes the camera to "stop down".

Challenging, "high contrast" scenes of the type I've previously been describing where I drive under a canopy of trees was generally worse set to "Low Cut" than the last firmware in similar scenarios set to "Average".

lowcuttest1.jpg

kowcuttest2.jpg

lowcurtest3.jpg

lowcuttest.jpg

Last edited:
if you have a chance can you try these same conditions with it set to average and center for comparison?

really need to see them back to back on the same day if possible

Back