SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

Not even mentioning the people that do not use a smartphone.

In theory yes, but i dont think a WIFI camera will be smaller than current products.

I wish there was a usb out for being able to save footage onto a hard drive. Similar to how my TV can do it. I'm confident it would eliminate errors that are related to the cards and make for an awesome system.

Thats what i wish for too, but as it is at the moment i dont think such a thing is supported by the chip sets used in the cameras.
But i would also assume a hard drive and its build routines would be safer than the SD cards.
And also you can get more storage for the same prize, for instance here in Denmark the same money i just paid for a 256 Gb SSD would only buy me a 128 Gb micro SD card, so its a 2 X factor.
And i think if i looked at a spinning drive in the 2.5" laptop form factor i would be able to get around 1Tb storage space.

I can play from a USB stick in my old LG TV, but i dont think i can record too, i will have to give that a try.

Last edited:
yeah we were trying to avoid having to roll the changes back into the V1 version twice, we were just about ready to do it and found a couple of bugs in the V2 version, and then some further improvements etc so it got stalled waiting for the next V2 release rather than roll it back while there were still some known issues
@jokiin - Hi Rick, I was wondering if there was any further news on the next public V2 FW release & particularly if the V1 FW will be updated to match it? Any info available would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

@jokiin - Hi Rick, I was wondering if there was any further news on the next public V2 FW release & particularly if the V1 FW will be updated to match it? Any info available would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

looking to have next release for both V1 and V2 tested later this week actually

I got the V1 focus dialed in a little better yesterday, so it is ready for a FW update too :)

Whoot, whoot!! Thank you. :D

apologies for the delay, everytime we've gone to do a V1 version we've found more things to fix in V2 and kept delaying doing it, even though we still have things we're working on we want to bring them both up to date with all the current fixes

apologies for the delay, everytime we've gone to do a V1 version we've found more things to fix in V2 and kept delaying doing it, even though we still have things we're working on we want to bring them both up to date with all the current fixes
No problem. Just sitting patiently here in (Wet) West Wales loving the reliability of my SG9665GC V1. Looking forward to seeing the new FW when it becomes available. :)

Despite my dissatisfaction with the exposure and dynamic range flaws of the SG9665GC I have to agree about the excellent reliability of the camera. Among a few other reasons it was this bullet proof reliability that has kept me hanging in there waiting for the firmware fix-it that seemed like it would never arrive after my first demonstrating the problem a year and a half ago.

Speaking of beta 27, my experience with has been a mini saga in itself. Since the advent of AE table menu choices, apparently because of my very dark colored vehicle the camera has been exquisitely sensitive to how high or low the lens is aimed, sometimes producing footage that is much too dark for the given conditions and sometimes still having issues with bright contrast. After much, sometimes frustrating experimentation with menu choices, exposure settings and aiming adjustment I finally was able to come up with a combination that seems to be working pretty well. No other dash camera I've had experience with has ever been so sensitive to aiming and setting choices but for the first time the camera is handling changes in lighting conditions fairly well.

Beta 27 could still stand improvement so I'm looking forward to the next beta but now it's more a question of fine tuning rather than whether the camera is viable or not for some of us.

Of the 15 or so dash cams I've had direct personal experience with the SG9665GC is the only one other than the Mobius that ALWAYS starts up when it should, shuts down when it should and NEVER fails to record the needed footage.
Over the years, I had the discouraging experience with some dash cameras of discovering only after the fact that the footage I expected to see when I got home wasn't recorded at all and from this I learned that reliability is the key thing you want in a dash camera above almost all else. (although IQ is certainly next on the list)

Yeah it got to start up and record, if it dont then IQ dont matter cuz then it would be NR ( no recording ) and if thats the case then OOF is better providing the damn thing start to record.
I had a couple of flaky moments with the GC, but they all seemed to be forewarning of a SD card about to go sour on me, the current 128Gb Toshiba in the camera have been running problem free without maintenance or formatting since i got the card home some months ago.

It is too bad the GC and many other dashcams dont have alarms for when the camera is not recording, it should scream like a pig in that case and only stop when the car or camera is powered off.

It is too bad the GC and many other dashcams dont have alarms for when the camera is not recording, it should scream like a pig in that case and only stop when the car or camera is powered off.

One of the things I really like about my Mobius cameras is that if the rear red LED "pilot lights" are not slowly blinking when I check them in my rear view mirror then there is something wrong and I need to investigate. The last time that happened it turned out that the SanDisk card I was still using in my rear Mobius had finally crapped out. In the case of the Mobius the LED indicators provide quite a lot of information and are essentially the "alarm" you are referring to.

Yeah that rear LED is nice, just too bad you have to look pretty strait at it to see it, i have been meaning to put a little pice of 2 mm fiberoptic cable in the hole to "extend the light" or at the least see if thats better.
Though my old mobius in right beside my head just behind the B pillar i have to contort a lot to see the rear led, i was thinking with the mod i might be able to see it tilting my head right and then adjust my RVM to see the camera.
Should be a little safer than me trying to be a contortionist.

Yeah that rear LED is nice, just too bad you have to look pretty strait at it to see it, i have been meaning to put a little pice of 2 mm fiberoptic cable in the hole to "extend the light" or at the least see if thats better.
Though my old mobius in right beside my head just behind the B pillar i have to contort a lot to see the rear led, i was thinking with the mod i might be able to see it tilting my head right and then adjust my RVM to see the camera.
Should be a little safer than me trying to be a contortionist.

When I lean over a little and look in my rear view mirror I can usually see the yellow LED on the top/bottom of the left side Mobius behind my driver's seat.

Last edited:
After much, sometimes frustrating experimentation with menu choices, exposure settings and aiming adjustment I finally was able to come up with a combination that seems to be working pretty well.

if you can offer some screenshots and explanation as to what settings you're using now that might be helpful, while it might only pertain to your particular installation it still may offer some clues as to possible adjustments that could be beneficial to others, image quality adjustments are not considered to be final by any means, even if we do another release version it's mostly about getting people up to date with any bugfixes that have been implemented, the IQ related stuff is ongoing

Back