SG9665GC firmware updates and pre release access

I've had a few reports of cards eventually going bad over the years as you can imagine across all products. (Sumsung was in the mix but not a higher rate or anything). Memory cards are the weakest link in any dashcam. We might bundle High Endurance cards in future dual products to up the longevity / quality that much more.

From my own personal experience I think there is a lot of merit in this as my setup in my car is such that the cameras turn off after 6 hours after ignition off and I've very rarely had an issue, just the very occasional format required.

Another car where the camera only comes on with the ignition has never required a format yet.

But the trucks which are still currently running 24/7 require formatting a lot and work perfectly straight after a format. I was going to get Vico power control units installed in them all but as we are about to go for a new transport certificate scheme it will require tamper proof cameras so I'll need to look at lockable hard drive systems.

I'm hoping SG will be coming out with something that uses a hard drive.

HDDs tend to be even less reliable in a vehicle. Moving components getting bumped around? SSD might be better, they tend to operate in wider temps too.

Yes SSD is probably the best if not only option for HDD in relation to dashcam.

It would be nice if spinning disks could be used cuz you can get a massive amount of storage for next to nothing.
But i fear while a spinning disk might be okay for day to day driving and recording, i assume the mechanical nature of it will be challenged if it have to work during or right after the massive G-forces of a crash.
So i am unsure if you could pair a spinning HDD with a SD card solely for the event files or in case HDD fail to save last event.

And i am not sure if a spinning disk can survive such forces, i had fairly new spinning drives just stop working after being in a storage box for a year or 2 without any G-force events.

When I bought my first dash cam more than six years ago a failed memory card was an expensive proposition. Today, with the cost of memory as low as it is I don't worry about it. I roll with four cameras in my vehicle so I have some perspective on card longevity and endurance. During these six years only three cards have failed. One was a SanDisk which are known for failure in dash cams and should be avoided. One was a Transcend that mysteriously developed a physical crack in it. The third was the Samsung that just failed which interestingly I was able to resurrected on my computer last night but that I will no longer use in a dash cam at this point just to play it safe. A couple of cards I own have been in regular service for well over two years and doing fine. They are in Mobius cameras that will immediately alert me to a problem. I always travel with a few spare cards in the event of an emergency.

With the low cost of memory today I think of microSD cards for dash cams as an expendable but reusable media that should or will need to be replaced at some point much the same way I used to view VHS video tapes which could only be recorded over just so many times. I do not find the current cost of high endurance cards to be justifiable considering the cost of just buying a new standard card at today's prices. The Samsung 64GB card that failed was about $17.00 USD on Amazon which is about half or even less than the price of a 32GB card six years ago.

Last edited:
Aye it's an SSD we use in our trial vehicle which is only sd quality. There are dampeners for using a regular HD but I'm not sure how good they'd be especially in a crash.

There is an HD solution available, direct from China though so would be taking an extra risk there but at around £400 for a four cam setup the risk is acceptable. I'd rather see what SG come up with though but I'll need to move on this some time next year and have over 11 HGVs to do.

A proper high endurance card would need to be SLC and they are terribly expensive.

Probably cheaper to bundle a massive MLC/TLC card so it just gets written to less.
I'm not sure such a beast exists in a micro SD format at any price. But MLC should be sufficient for our purposes. TLC is not the same, either, and shouldn't be used with a slash like that to suggest it's the same as MLC.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 26
I'm not sure such a beast exists in a micro SD format at any price. But MLC should be sufficient for our purposes. TLC is not the same, either, and shouldn't be used with a slash like that to suggest it's the same as MLC.

I wasn't suggesting it was the same, but simply grouped them in the sense that they do not have the same endurance as SLC, however you can offset that with a larger capacity so that each cell is written to less.

TLC is a type of MLC anyway.

All TLC memory is MLC memory, but not all MLC memory is TLC.

You might think that based on the word "multi" being a general indication anything more than one. But no, they have specific meanings in the industry. TLC is not MLC and should not be confused as the same or as a subset of a category.

8GB SLC microSD cards are only $370 USD (what a bargain)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00QMVK7H2
mNfObNq.png

should start including them in the dashcams as they are sold.

You might think that based on the word "multi" being a general indication anything more than one. But no, they have specific meanings in the industry. TLC is not MLC and should not be confused as the same or as a subset of a category.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that then.

No, it's not up for debate. Did you not see my post? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-pre-release-access.16310/page-82#post-306042

That diagram was pulled directly from Panasonic's industrial NAND page: http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/industrial_sd/lineup.html

Chide the industry and the engineers who created the definitions if you want, saying they chose dumb names for things and they should feel bad about themselves. Wag your finger at them for not anticipating future developments beyond 2-bit cells. But TLC is not a subset of MLC. They're two different specs: 2 bits per cell for MLC and 3 bits per cell for TLC.

If you want a brief primer on the history of NAND, check this out: http://embedded-computing.com/news/nand-slc-mlc-tlc/

Last edited:
So I have not been able to ascertain from the changelogs or this discussion, maybe someone can answer: Is there a firmware out for the V1 or V2 cams that has the ability to automatically set the timezone from GPS, and set the time based off of that as well? (I remember being told this was being worked on a year or so ago for the next FW)

No, just the current time UTC. You have to set your time zone offset.

...Is there a firmware out for the V1 or V2 cams that has the ability to automatically set the timezone from GPS, and set the time based off of that as well?...
No. There's discussion somewhere about this but the basic reason boils down to the fact that there is no map data in the camera/GPS unit to determine where the unit is located. The GPS data consists only of the coordinates.

Back