SG9665GC High Contrast/Dynamic Range Flaw and other Discouragements

No offense, but my observation wasn't directed at you. My only advice to you was that it sounds like you've lost trust in the vendor, and perhaps it was time to move on.

I wasn't aware that I had to be a member for three years before I was allowed to express an opinion. Frankly, you seem a little angry given your reaction to my comments.

I was just saying my perceptive on this is different than yours, I'm not angry and I apologize if it sounded that way. You are certainly allowed to express any opinion you wish but obviously someone who has been involved for three years and has known the different parties that long will have a different viewpoint of a given situation than a three day observer.

If your observation was not directed at me why did you address me directly and tag me in your post?

Last edited:
I was just saying my perceptive on this is different than yours, I'm not angry and I apologize if it sounds that way. You are certainly allowed to express any opinion you wish but obviously someone who has been involved for three years will have a different viewpoint of a given situation than a three day observer.

If your observation was not directed at me why did you address me directly and tag me in your post?
Read it again. The only part directed toward you was the one about how it sounded like you had lost trust in the vendor and perhaps it was time to cut the ties. The previous stuff was just a general observation related to my recent purchase and my expectations regarding support from the manufacturer.

Frankly I admire your persistence in working on this problem. Personally I would have given up, gotten my money back and bought something else.

I think with ur knowledge about DVR's I think if you decided to contact China and get urself a good quality line of dash cams to sell on ur own you definitely would be successful as a merchant. Think about it, you would be good at it. Start off small with a small inventory of about 100 units. bulk buying = $35 per unit sell for $95.

just to give you some perspective on that, cameras that have a factory cost of around USD $35 (based on much larger quantities also) currently sell direct to end users for under USD $45 including shipping by Chinese online vendors

I think with ur knowledge about DVR's I think if you decided to contact China and get urself a good quality line of dash cams to sell on ur own you definitely would be successful as a merchant. Think about it, you would be good at it. Start off small with a small inventory of about 100 units. bulk buying = $35 per unit sell for $95.

Thanks! I even considered doing that at one time. When I first became interested in dash cams there was literally no information available about them and for the most part, the ONLY dash cams available were generic ones from China. You had to just pick one and hope for the best. And you had to try to savvy out who was safe to buy from on AliExpress or eBay or wherever.

That is why I was so happy when DashCamTalk appeared on the scene. I literally almost became the first member as I was there the day the site went live in the Summer of 2012. For the first time, there was a place to discuss dash cams and analyze dash cams and vendors. But it didn't take long for various members to see the potential for the Western adoption of a technology that was already popular elsewhere in the world and that is why other dash cam enthusiasts like @Pier28, @niko and various others who started out as regular members here on DCT became retailers and paid reviewers, or whatever, exploiting this site as a personal marketing and sales platform.

So, if I were to become a retailer at this point I would be a bit late to the table. Then again, despite all the guff I receive from certain members who don't care for someone who is outspoken and direct, unlike certain other parties here my perspective is untainted by any commercial considerations or profit motives and I much prefer it that way.

Last edited:
likewise, don't be so sure

Pier28 keeps boasting that everything keeps selling out. Maybe this is just charity work? ;)

But anyway, I don't like the feel of where this is going. You've worked very, very hard to establish your business and develop quality products and you deserve to profit from it however much or little that may be now or will be in the future.

Pier28 keeps boasting that everything keeps selling out. Maybe this is just charity work? ;)

But anyway, I don't like the feel of where this is going. You've worked very, very hard to establish your business and develop quality products and you deserve to profit from it however much or little that may be now or will be in the future.
Observing the interaction between you and Pier28 maybe both parties should just shake hands at this point and maybe you should take the offer that Pier28 is offering you. Take the refund and end this verbal back and forth hostility. Life is too short for such petty back and forth shots at each other. What Seller after more than 1 year will offer to refund the 2 DVR's Take it and move on (my opinion)

Observing the interaction between you and Pier28 maybe both parties should just shake hands at this point and maybe you should take the offer that Pier28 is offering you. Take the refund and end this verbal back and forth hostility. Life is too short for such petty back and forth shots at each other.

I really like Jon, he's one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet but my relationship with him (as well as jokiin, another fine fellow) is based on my interactions with him going back three years now. So like I said earlier to another new member, I would respectfully suggest that any new member who has only been here for 5 days may not have enough of a perspective to be offering such well meaning and otherwise well intentioned advice, although I will take it under advisement, in any case.

In light of this, however I would also suggest and kindly request that you go back and take the time to carefully read and peruse the first post in this thread from March 13, 2016. (and consider that it is now a half a year later) after previously beginning my discussion with Pier28 and jokiin on this subject privately in May of 2015.

Last edited:
I really like Jon, he's one of the nicest people you could ever want to meet but my relationship with him (as well as jokiin, another fine fellow) is based on my interactions with him going back three years now. So like said earlier to another new member, I would respectfully suggest that any new member who has only been here for 5 days may not have enough of a perspective to be offering such well meaning and otherwise well intentioned advice, although I will take it under advisement, in any case.

In light of this, however I would also suggest and kindly request that you go back and take the time to carefully read and peruse the first post in this thread from March 13, 2016. (and consider that it is now a half a year later) after previously beginning my discussion with Pier28 and jokiin on this subject privately in May of 2015.
You may be right me being a 5 day new member. My perspective may not be accurate in such a short time period. I read ur post the first post in this thread from March 13, 2016. Sorry but did not know the whole story

he does keep running out, I'm quite sure it's not charity work and the sales (along with the other products they sell) goes some way toward paying the costs of the business, the people that work in the company, rent etc, does it benefit me personally, no, not one bit, the orders from Pier28 however have helped us to increase our production volume, without which we'd still be battling to get support from Novatek so in that sense his sales have helped us quite a lot, not in a financial terms but in ways that are far more important right now for what we need to achieve

gPcqWOU.jpg

As dashmellow already mentioned, the dynamic range is not optimal yet. This is on CENTER with WDR ON.
As you can see the weather conditions are excellent.
Guess the AE emphasis is still too much on the top part of the image?

yeah we haven't got into the contrast and brightness tuning as yet, getting the tables right is first, will have another update soon, still doing some work on that, the file you sent will help, thanks for that

Well ***k me.......... I've just spent the good part of an afternoon reading this thread (yer I know, could've done something more productive!!! LOL..), but FFS!!!

I understand where Dashmellow, et-al is coming from. I understand Dashmellow's frustrations and sympathise with his (I'm assuming you're male?) and others' problem/problems.

It's just that, you should all just take a chill pill or a double shot (or several) of your favorite beverage.

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is perfect from day one (fact is, NOTHING is perfect!!). And, don't expect YOUR problem to be solved overnight. Or for a year or more in Dashmellow's case.

Your (meaning, EVERYONE with an issue) problem is not the only thing the guys at SG are worrying about, working on, etc, etc!!
And don't, for one minute assume I have something to do with SG. I don't! Don't want to! Done my time listening to BS from customers.......

We have a product, that as far as I can tell, is exceptional in that:
1) The manufacturer is MORE than willing to communicate (think about that!) with us.
2) Support from the manufacturer via this forum (or any other medium) is, from a personal stand point, ****en unbelievable......
3) The product is bloody good out of the box, regardless of the issues expressed in this and other threads.
4) RESPECT... We (the owners) get it from Jokiin, Pier28 and the rest of the crew that created this monster, give some back.........
5) That there is on going refinements to this product (and the rest of the range) is testament to SG's work that our gripes are being dealt with. No matter HOW LONG IT TAKES!

As is my way...... If you don't like it, ****en leave..........................................

Marz....

Centos 6.8 (final)
Running an old kernel (due to some sound card problems ) 2.6.32-504.30.3.el6.x86_64
8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30GHz

If I should try another player let me know!

Back