SG9665GC V2 Frame duplication stutter.

Just tested, no identical frames on 20160323 using a wall socket and 32GB sandisk ultra

still something we need to check regardless, there may be a pattern to the problem, a particular combination of menu settings etc that cause it to happen, something like that

Strange. I think I'll change to the beta9 to investigate if it happens to me.

Did you run it from a wall socket as well?
The first camera, yes, I tested it indoors, no GPS plugged in, using a Samsung USB power supply that was able to put out a stable 1A (same output as on the provided power supply). Same problem, no matter which MicroSD card I used (see previous post). The second camera, I used only what came in the box with it; didn't want to add any other possible factors to the equation other than "Use it as intended, see if it works." I don't believe it's a power supply issue, since I tested the socket on my car as well, and it's behaving normally.

I don't think it is power supply related, we're looking at it now and will work it out, more likely a bug I think but need to work out the cause

Offtopic: Our eyes catch about 25 frames per second. But you can see 1 frames dulicate in video file which have 30 frames per second with your naked eyes. Superman :D

Regardless if it's hard to see if there's a problem there we need to find it and fix it, it helps us a lot when people report any bug found so we can improve the products

still something we need to check regardless, there may be a pattern to the problem, a particular combination of menu settings etc that cause it to happen, something like that
With the first camera, I personalized the settings when I first got the cam (set the rego number, turned off the G-sensor) and that's it. The second cam, I left at stock settings, as it came in the box. Didn't enter the menus at all. Just plugged it in with the supplied power cord and GPS, and let it run.

I also just tried turning off the GPS setting in the menu and ran the camera without the GPS plugged in, to see if it might possibly be the writing of the GPS data into the MP4 file that might be causing the glitch. Unfortunately, the stutter is still there. I think I've tested just about everything I can, in every combination, that I can without testing a different firmware - but I'll let the engineers try that with the cams when they get a hold of them. Will mail off the cam back to Troy this morning.

Offtopic: Our eyes catch about 25 frames per second. But you can see 1 frames dulicate in video file which have 30 frames per second with your naked eyes. Superman :D
Heh... the whole "human eye can only see 24/25 fps" myth is exactly that - a myth. Try telling a professional gamer that there's no detectable difference between 30, 60, and 90fps on a PC, and you'll get your ears chewed off. There's a reason the brand spanking new VR helmets like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive reject any software that runs below 60fps; motion sickness becomes a real issue otherwise.

I have been having a bit of a think, and I would like to test a theory, if people would be willing to co-operate; this is to rule out any possibility that it is either of my computers that are causing the problem.

If a couple of folks could upload some 15-20 second clips taken directly from their cam microsd cards to filedropper, if they have the same firmware as listed in my previous posts. Please make sure to scan through the files using whichever software you like and make sure there are no duplicate frames on your end, and make sure you do not re-save the file in any way that might modify it. (It would be best to manually start and stop the cam for 15-20 seconds whilst driving to generate a small file with plenty of motion to make duplicate files easier to spot.)

Post the file dropper links here, and I will download them and see if the duplicate frames manifest when I open them on my computers. Duplicate frames really shouldn't mysteriously appear just by opening a file, but I want to see if there is even the slightest chance that it is a bizarre side effect of any mp4 decoders on both of my PCs. They certainly shouldn't persist either if the file is never saved from said software (I am aware that saving a file often introduces frame glitches because of re-encoding errors if the program isnset tomre-encode when saving, typically when frame rates are mismatched between source file and the re-encoding settings). (The last files I have uploaded here were never even opened by any software on my PC prior to uploading; I actually uploaded it straight from the card to filedropper before opening it in my pc, just to make sure there was no possibility of "contaminating" it, and no antivirus software is set to scan the files automatically either.)

If I DO get duplicate frames from the donated files that originally were stutter-free, I will upload them again to a new filedropper, and the two files can then be compared by the engineers to see if they see what is going on in that case.

I tried your file and I see the duplication as well.
I tried your filedropper but did not get a link, so sorry...

For some reason filedropper is very-very slow for me. Mega.nz, mega.co.nz is "100 x" lightning faster compare to filedropper.

It won't be a problem with your computer, engineers are looking at your samples already
Just trying to address every possible factor that could be contributing to the problem, and given that it's been two cameras that have been sent to me, I really want to make sure it's nothing on my end causing the problem; I'd feel like a right muppet if that was the case. Hence why I want to see if opening someone else's normal file on my computer somehow "corrupts" the file into frame duplication (though I honestly doubt it, the scientist in me always keeps an open mind to all possibilities!).

It will be a firmware bug, we're looking at it already, we haven't changed any code that would affect it so it's more likely it's in the SDK, will put an update out for it as soon as it's sorted, our firmware is always being worked on, we have constant development cycles anyway so it's just something to add to the current list, things like this are always first priority so the kind of thing we would release an update for first

It will be a firmware bug, we're looking at it already, we haven't changed any code that would affect it so it's more likely it's in the SDK, will put an update out for it as soon as it's sorted, our firmware is always being worked on, we have constant development cycles anyway so it's just something to add to the current list, things like this are always first priority so the kind of thing we would release an update for first
Fair enough, if you're sure that's the case. Let's see how it all goes.

Out of curiosity I checked some of my video files and can confirm the issue exists.

I have the same frame duplication on 3 different GC's. One V2 running F/W version 20160125, and 2 different V1 cams running F/W version 20150906.

Surprising that I never noticed it before.

Videos can be supplied if desired.

Edit: I can also say that I don't believe it's GPS related as the issue occurred on the V2 camera when using the V2 GPS unit, V1 GPS unit and also with no GPS attached.

Last edited:
It will be a firmware bug

What do you have to alter in the software to make it relatively universally read ?......... I have VideoReDo which has frame by frame.

Back