Shadow GT680W

If the GT680W new GPS module is really not working, at least the camera is superior to GT550WS in my opinion. GT680W view angle is wider than the GT550WS, and its picture quality is as good too.. So can keep the GT680W camera... Only now is how to resolve the GPS not working... claim credit note or change for something else in credit?

who's cheating, me or shadow tech?
I think only pictures can tell the truth.
I opened the GT680W and GT550WS gps module, please see attached picture, looks similar. But I am not sure if the inside is same or not.

Why the GPS module can not be exchanged, maybe because these two cameras use different firmware, maybe inside different...

I believe both DOD and shadow use good quality GPS module.

IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1020.JPG

If you check the GPS player tool, it almost same.
The left is screenshot for LS330W gps player tool, right is for shadow rx300.

dod ls300w.jpg rx300-gps.jpg

I know this gps player tools 2 months ago. We have sold some G1W with GPS module before, until now nobody report GPS issue, it use similar GPS player tool as lss330w&gt680w.
So I think it also use good quality GPS module for G1W, maybe it is the first NTK96650 camera support GPS logger.
But now the manufacture don't want to produce G1W due to so many different version on market.

Last edited:
I updated the firmware v2.4G successfully
the GPS Module work great
It can lock a signal at all
ok I am satisfied with the results
3dashcams.jpg

8ngps.jpg

gt680w_20131112.jpg

1b3rv.jpg

i uploaded the video on youtube

PS...Thanks billknow to explain the difference of both GPS

I updated the firmware v2.4G successfully
the GPS Module work great
It can lock a signal at all
ok I am satisfied with the results

i uploaded the video on youtube

PS...Thanks billknow to explain the difference of both GPS

Great News! Ming06! Hope that will happen to me as well when I get the new GPS module from FOX offer support soon! ;)

I think only pictures can tell the truth.
I opened the GT680W and GT550WS gps module, please see attached picture, no difference.
Why the GPS module can not be exchanged, because these two cameras use different firmware.

View attachment 2117 View attachment 2118 View attachment 2119

If you check the GPS player tool, it almost same.
The left is screenshot for LS330W gps player tool, right is for shadow rx300.

View attachment 2120 View attachment 2121

I know this gps player tools 2 months ago. We have sold some G1W with GPS module before, until now nobody report GPS issue, it use similar GPS player tool as lss330w&gt680w.
So I think it also use good quality GPS module for G1W, maybe it is the first NTK96650 camera support GPS logger.
But now the manufacture don't want to produce G1W due to so many different version on market.

Will the v2.4G software work here in the UK and does it just work with new GPS module?

Great News! Ming06! Hope that will happen to me as well when I get the new GPS module from FOX offer support soon! ;)

jchantw.
I am confident, It will work well
wait & see the results
a few hour ago,
I replaced it with the old GPS Module
Camera go freezer when running to 10 seconds
I decided to shut down and restart
and re-use the new GPS Module, It works No any problem

night results
Ratchaburi City of Thailand
Away from Bangkok (The Capital), 100 km to the west
gt680wnight.jpg

video upload

Last edited:
confirm my gt680w gps order on 8/11, received the cam today, 13/11. fast delivery w/o paying for express ;). first look, budget plastic casing (just look at the bottom line of the cam with the led light, you will know what i mean), however i'm impressed with the tiny size. hardcopy user manual cannot be considered a manual, more like a quick start guide. zero explanation on functions o_O. rest of the accessories ok. plug in the usb cable to fire up the cam with gps hooked on as well, wowwee...the gps locks in within 5secs (ehh..i did this in my office desk, next to the window):D..so as usual for new toys with battery, i would first let it charge. meanwhile, i skyped foxoffer on this charging but was told 5-10mins will do b'cos the battery capacity is very small :eek:...now i wonder how small. so an hr later, i brought this cam down to my car for a trial (w/o power plug). everything went well, including gps. Oppss..the battery is really really small, in less than a min, the battery went FLAT :(...i reckon the design of this tiny cam compromised on the battery dept, my previous dvr007 can last on it's own for at least 4-5mins. anyway, playback the video for a quick check, video is gd, so is the gps location...i'm at where i'm. :)

Juz to addon after 1 nite & morning of use. Used back the same sd card from my previous dv007, it's a 8gb sandisk class 4. To my surprise, it worked like a charm thou' the recommended is class 10. But reckon i need a get a new card with bigger capacity when each fhd file is like ~250mb size for a 2-3mins recording. The weather is pretty wet in the last 24hrs, but from the video, imo the quality is pretty gd still thou' i thot it can be better esp on the move. Had tried recording between 1080 30fps & 720 60fps, some quality difference (fr my naked eye) but not much BUT the file size is almost half. Last thing to add, my suction mount sucks. Kept dropping despite several re-adjustment. Just my luck, probably a lemon.:(

Last edited:
Yesterday, I have got GPS card from Shadow. I installed latest firmware v2.4G.Everything works OK. New GPS card has longest cable. It locks very fast and has small blue LED lamp. When it works, LED flashes.

After Foxoffer read our requests on gt680w appearance / finishing ( silver side frame and lens surrounding ), they requested from manufacturer to change a colour to fully black.
So its a good sign that "they" are listening to end user. This is how it always should be.
Below are photos of a sample. It should be available to buy from Foxoffer.com some stage in november.

IMG_20131115_130621.jpg
IMG_20131115_130822.jpg
IMG_20131115_130943.jpg
IMG_20131115_131016.jpg

very good start, could have done without all the printing on the front though, it's got a big display that can show your logo every time it starts, why they feel the need to print tacky stuff on the front is beyond me

Probably "they" still want to make a "statement" of the brand.
Still is better than initial design. Small printed logoes could be removed with solvant or covered with black electrical tape.
Practical solution would be to offer two versions: one with logoes secong is without, so each buyer chose himself what he like.

I got my new GPS module already. It works great! Could get a lock within 2-3 minutes.
Unfortunately the software that came with it does not work well with Windows 8. Does anyone know of any other freeware out there??

Thanks!

many thanks, billknow

7drp1.jpg

Back