Should VIOFO Introduce Built-In Cloud LTE Across Full Line Of Dash Cams?

but if that guy was crazy enough to grab that dashcam off the window
How is he going to make an insurance claim when he is being accused of stealing and destroying the evidence?
That doesn't seem like a good move!

But that was a situation where it would have been good to upload the locked file from the collision to the owner's Google Drive folder, via their phone internet connection. No need for LTE, or any Viofo Cloud servers. Just uploading it automatically to the owners phone would have been good, and that doesn't even need an internet connection or mobile signal.

This thread is getting out of hand if Ariel is having to come in here. lol
The whole point I made this POLL was to show how ridiculous adding cloud to Viofo dash cams would be with current technology.
70mai, and Vantrue announced their first cloud dash cams almost a year ago, and both have fallen flat.

POLL .png
Flop 1 .png
Flop 2 .png

The whole point I made this POLL was to show how ridiculous adding cloud to Viofo dash cams would be with current technology.
That was nearly 2 years ago, the answer may have changed with today's current technology, now we have things like power efficient WiFi 6 and processors that use a lot less power in parking mode, and car wifi hotspots becoming a lot more common... but not working when parked!

70mai, and Vantrue announced their first cloud dash cams almost a year ago, and both have fallen flat.
I haven't heard much about their clouds... The advert is for 4G, and LTE (which most people have never heard of). Do their clouds do anything interesting?

My phone remembers where my car is parked and will take me back to my car.
If I want to track someone else, our phones allow that too.
The wifi hotspot for the kids... don't they have their own phone with internet connection?
I never understood what feature the deer was showing us :unsure:

So the only useful looking bit was the alerts that spoilt the peaceful fishing experience... better to find out when you get back to your car, rather than spoil the best part of your day!

My phone remembers where my car is parked and will take me back to my car.
If I want to track someone else, our phones allow that too.
The wifi hotspot for the kids... don't they have their own phone with internet connection?
I never understood what feature the deer was showing us :unsure:

So the only useful looking bit was the alerts that spoilt the peaceful fishing experience... better to find out when you get back to your car, rather than spoil the best part of your day!

Yeah pointless when Google asks you if you want to remember where you parked etc, I don't think people are that OCD about their car being broken into that they want to check in on it during the day while they're at work.

Don't think cloud has caught on like folks were predicting it would. Not saying it doesn't have use case scenarios, but for most folks it won't.

It's a bit more complicated than that, lol.

What features did you have in mind for the cloud functionality? It sounds like mostly just cloud backup for select clips like when an impact is detected or the user triggers a manual recording?

Most of the cloud features I use are for things like remote notifications in case my car is hit while parked or being able to livestream into the dashcam at any time. It's also nice to be able to update the firmware OTA as well. Cloud backup is nice, but secondary. Everyone has their own use case of course, but for the notifications and livestreaming, that's more about the manufacturer running their own servers and then creating an app that handles the notifications, image previews, UI for accessing video clips, etc.

If a manufacturer is going through the work to creating a server to let their user utilize the other cloud features, then adding some additional storage is a natural extension. If people want to have their own servers available or connect to Dropbox, their own NAS, etc., that's cool too, but I'd imagine a very small percentage of the population would want to do that, plus it'd mean a bunch of additional R&D and tech support needed to support each external cloud storage option. Again a manufacturer certainly could, but it would probably make more sense for them to keep things in house to simplify the product creation and support, plus they could also get another revenue stream by offering the option for paid cloud features.

I think what will happen, in a 'wholesale' manner is that private use dash cams will go the same route as commercial live view, live streaming, and saving the stream to a server. How a manufacturer will implement that is variable. They could contract for a managed cloud such as is offered by Amazon and others, their own servers, or customer servers. WiFi is great if you are parked at your home or office and using what may be a private WiFi, on the road it would require satellite or cellular. I am a little surprised that existing fleet surveillance companies are not already offering a private type setup for potential residential customers.

Everyone has a different need. A cab driver or Uber drive would likely want a system that will stream to a NAS or cloud setup. Those users would appreciate a system that saves all driver and passenger information in the event of a 'bad' passenger. If all a person does is casual, local driving then probably nothing would be needed other than the dash cam itself.

Death to Viofo cloud.
Death to Viofo H.265 (H.264 until 2035).
Death to Viofo ADAS.
Death to Viofo AI
Long live K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

Death to Viofo cloud.
Death to Viofo ADAS.
Death to Viofo AI
Death to all ADAS across all brands please, cars have and always will do it better.

Death to Viofo cloud.
Death to Viofo ADAS.
Death to Viofo AI
Yes. Death to innovation. And Death to all shoe sizes not befitting of the Lordship.

Knowing that the Chinese is the ONLY ones innovating makes that statement moot.

Yes. Death to innovation.
You gotta be kidding me. lol
I’m constantly asking for improvement.
All my requests are centered around;
1.) Image Quality
2.) Reliability
3.) Durability
4.) Modularity (hardware / software)
What I never request is bells & whistles like ADAS & Artificial Intelligence.
I’ve been testing dash cams since 2019, and I’m the “new guy” (senior members 2013).
I’ve tested BlackVue, Thinkware, GNET, FineVu, Vantrue, DDPAI, and 20 junk brands from Amazon, eBay, and Walmart.
Now I gotta to ask;
What dash cam are you currently using, and what others have you used?

Knowing that the Chinese is the ONLY ones innovating makes that statement moot.
I don’t understand what you mean by that.
You may be in violation of forum rules.
1. Treat other members with respect. While debating and heated discussion is fine, we will not tolerate personal attacks, rudeness or inflammatory posts.
9. Since this an international forum, "bashing" of any nation, people, individuals, ethnic groups, race or minorities is prohibited (even your own country).

1. Treat other members with respect. While debating and heated discussion is fine, we will not tolerate personal attacks, rudeness or inflammatory posts.
9. Since this an international forum, "bashing" of any nation, people, individuals, ethnic groups, race or minorities is prohibited (even your own country).

Don't see how I'm bashing anyone, seems quite the opposite, but , your rules are your rules. I wouldn't want to be bullied by an experienced senior reviewer or an internet moderator or an experienced reviewer with moderator connections. I'm just a noob expressing my opinion ,please don't do me the way of innovation. And for more context, I don't have any dashcams. Let me rephrase, installed. I have 2 possibly 3 , but nothing of late, sitting in a box somewhere. Reason is they don't meet my requirements , irony being the some of the same requirements you wished death on. Smh.

Went a little 'woke' did you? Nothing he said is a personal attack, rudeness, inflammatory, or disrespectful.

Frankly, on the consumer level dash cam, the Chinese are pretty much the only country of manufacture that is progressively innovating. That is an opinion, not disrespectful at all. If the Korean manufacturers disagree then they can chime in here as well and tell us how they innovate. The Chinese manufacturers seem to get the product 'more right' than the Korean manufacturers. But to be fair, American manufacturers, if there were any, would have the product in the crapper, priced too high, and filled with social media advertising.

Went a little 'woke' did you?
C'mon man, I'm the most anti-woke I can be.
The reason I wrote that is because I do not understand the point he was trying to make.
Calling me confused, or ignorant would be more accurate. lol

C'mon man, I'm the most anti-woke I can be.
The reason I wrote that is because I do not understand the point he was trying to make.
Calling me confused, or ignorant would be more accurate. lol
Nah , you went full neighborhood watch on me pulling out HOA rules and what not totally unnecessary. And I'm always clear on whatever I say and get nothing out of offending. Remember, you never look good by trying to make someone look bad.

"Only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance " Einstein.

"Only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance " Einstein.
Are you going to tell us what dash cam you are currently using, and what others you have used? lol

"Never argue with ignorant people, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience"
-Dalai Lama

Are you going to tell us what dash cam you are currently using, and what others you have used? lol

"Never argue with ignorant people, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience"
-Dalai Lama

That quote has been long studied and it has never been attributed to the Dalai Lama in the least, nor has it been attributed to any other historical person. It at best is from a
biblical Proverbs 26:4 :

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him."

The proverb, in various form and wording, has been attributed to a number of people over the years, yet no scholar has been able to reliably state who first said that phrase. It for certain was not Mark Twain, Dalai Lama, Jean Cocteau, George Carlin, any number of newspapers writers, or pundits.

Back