Shuts down while driving

unpaidbill

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the 0801 with internal storage and GPS. So far, it's been doing fine...but yesterday and again today, I heard it 'sign off' when I was driving. Unplugging it from the power outlet and plugging it back in turned it back on. I was fairly close to home both times, so I don't know if it would happen soon again. I'm using a Samsung class 6 card, if that matters, and the firmware is 20130922.

Try squeezing in the mini usb connector slightly (Where the join is) so it's a firmer fit.. see if that helps, I had similar symptoms and that fixed it for me, though I did also give both connections a blast with isopropyl, though making it a firmer fit should do the trick.

That 0922 firmware is fine, I've been using it for several weeks now without any probs, but I have had issue with those mini usb connectors not making a good contact, gives all sorts of wierd behavour.. ie. stops recording, or fails to start recording on power on ect.

Check to see if you have actual video recorded after 'sign off', when you turned it back on. If you have video after the turn-off, it may be a power problem as Lunar stated.

If there are no videos after that first sign-off, then you are chasing the recording lock-out bug. The only "fix" for that I've found is deleting files or reformatting the card, but then it happens again as it starts to fill up.

Try squeezing in the mini usb connector slightly (Where the join is) so it's a firmer fit.. see if that helps, I had similar symptoms and that fixed it for me, though I did also give both connections a blast with isopropyl, though making it a firmer fit should do the trick.

That 0922 firmware is fine, I've been using it for several weeks now without any probs, but I have had issue with those mini usb connectors not making a good contact, gives all sorts of wierd behavour.. ie. stops recording, or fails to start recording on power on ect.

Actually you seem to be confirming a suspicion of mine. When I first tried to connect the 0801 to my computer via USB cable, I only got a reliable connection with the third cable. Strange, because the other two used to work fine with other hardware. Plus, the connection isn’t really snug.

Anyone have more input on this issue/topic. I got my mini 0801 about 2 weeks ago. Its been running perfectly until now, all of a sudden it shuts off in the middle of driving. It seems to only stay on for 5 min then shutoff. but if I turn it back on it will stay on normally. Any help?

Anyone have more input on this issue/topic. I got my mini 0801 about 2 weeks ago. Its been running perfectly until now, all of a sudden it shuts off in the middle of driving. It seems to only stay on for 5 min then shutoff. but if I turn it back on it will stay on normally. Any help?

Have you tried making the mini USB connector a little firmer by squeezing in just slightly the side where the split is. A lot of my cables are quite loose on these mini USB B sockets, TBH I think they are quite poor quality usb sockets, but making them so they are a tighter fit when inserted does cure a lot of issues, even when it appears the camera is getting power okay, failing that try another cable, but just making it a bit firmer seem to work for me, as I said previously it does cause some very wierd symptoms, such as stopping recording on it's own, and though it powers on it either wont start recording or it will stop recording after just a few seconds.

Actually you seem to be confirming a suspicion of mine. When I first tried to connect the 0801 to my computer via USB cable, I only got a reliable connection with the third cable. Strange, because the other two used to work fine with other hardware. Plus, the connection isn’t really snug.

I've ahad this happen several times with different cables, my PC gives a audible sound when the usb connects or disconnects, and I could hear it dropping connection. If you can give both connections a blast of isopropyl and make that mini usb plug a little firmer, it seems to work okay then. I think there just poor quality usb sockets.

i have this auto-shutdown issue too
same fw and card as yours.

disabling audio recording seems to work (as least for me), as well as fixing the "storage IO error" and "low speed card" issues.
still in the phase of testing though...

I tried tightening the USB connection...same result...shuts down after 4-5 minutes.

I tried tightening the USB connection...same result...shuts down after 4-5 minutes.

Have you tried a different cable ? As IME they can be fussy with cables. I have one cable here which for some reason powers up the camera, but it won't automatically go into record mode, it starts to record then immediately stops.

I just downloaded the card...there was NO video recorded yesterday or today, even though it made the 'on' and 'off' sounds. The card is about half full now.

I formatted the disc again and took it for a drive...working normally for now. Is this something I'll have to 'rinse and repeat'?

I formatted the disc again and took it for a drive...working normally for now. Is this something I'll have to 'rinse and repeat'?

im having same prblem, my cards a samsung class 6 32gb ive notived when the card is half full this is when it powers down and get the low speed and io errors and wont carry on recording but if i format the card again its fine untill it gets half full again ive tried to update fw but camera wont update

If I had a 16gb card handy, I'd try it and see if it failed at half full. Anyone tried that?

ill try that, i have a 16gb ill post the result tomorrow, have you tried recording with no audio mine seems stable when recording 1min clips with no audio, try that

If I had a 16gb card handy, I'd try it and see if it failed at half full. Anyone tried that?

The most common issues seem to occur once the card is nearly full, when the camera needs to erase older files to make room for its new recordings, in theory indicating the camera is for whatever reason struggling to write its files fast enough as the impact of continually having to delete its older files will obviously have a big impact on its overall write speeds. Sadly simply changing to a faster card has not always provided a solution in every case, so it would appear there are other factors causing this phenomena. Some users have said turning off the audio, so it writes video only seems to have helped.

In view of the fact that a faster card didn't effect a cure for some users might suggest, that some cameras have a slower file system capability than some other samples of the camera, as 2 of my camera have been totally problem free for almost 2 months. The first one was the only one that had a few problems, mainly related to bad mini USB connection or a poor connection to the base.

The most common issues seem to occur once the card is nearly full, when the camera needs to erase older files to make room for its new recordings, in theory indicating the camera is for whatever reason struggling to write its files fast enough as the impact of continually having to delete its older files will obviously have a big impact on its overall write speeds.

Mine failed like that with a fast card (SanDisk Class 10), when full or practically full.

Mine failed like unpaidbill and liam0918 with the SanDisk Class 4- anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 full, would run briefly but wouldn't actually record after that. I found a reformat fixed it long enough for it to do it again.

I tried several cables just for convenience and routing reasons. I never had Lunar's issues with refusing to start to record on power-up. Only after hours of recording after described above. I never lost power spontaneously and the cables never fell out, so I really don't think that's the issue with mine.

Have you tried making the mini USB connector a little firmer by squeezing in just slightly the side where the split is. A lot of my cables are quite loose on these mini USB B sockets, TBH I think they are quite poor quality usb sockets, but making them so they are a tighter fit when inserted does cure a lot of issues, even when it appears the camera is getting power okay, failing that try another cable, but just making it a bit firmer seem to work for me, as I said previously it does cause some very wierd symptoms, such as stopping recording on it's own, and though it powers on it either wont start recording or it will stop recording after just a few seconds.

I tried to push the USB connector into the dock like you suggested - didnt solve the issue. A day later, I pushed the camera into the dock and now it seems to be running fine. Must have been a bad connection between the camera and the dock. Now the question is now do I prevent the dock and camera conection from getting loose?

I am having similar problems - shuts down while driving.
I am not convinced that it is a power connection problem.

Power is going directly to the dashcam, not via the GPS/mount.
With the original 16G Class 10 card, it worked fine for a while, then started shutting down.

I thought it may be due to the card, so bought a 32GB Sandisk Class 6 card.
This had worked fine, for a while. Then it shut down.

I can re-start by pressing the on button on the side.
Starts up and runs ... for EXACTLY three minutes, which surprise, surprise, is the period I have set it to roll.
Stops - press button - starts - rund for three minutes - shuts down. Repeatably.

Looks to me like a FW problem when the card fills.

I have just re-formatted the card and set the roll to the default one minute.
We will see what happens when the card re-fills.

I am guessing that it may be ok, that it was only ever tested fully with default values?

I tried to push the USB connector into the dock like you suggested - didnt solve the issue. A day later, I pushed the camera into the dock and now it seems to be running fine. Must have been a bad connection between the camera and the dock. Now the question is now do I prevent the dock and camera conection from getting loose?

That's quite possible... Not much you can do with the connection between base and the camera, other than give the spring loaded contacts on the base a clean with a cotton bud or similar soaked in isopropyl and do the same on the camera contacts, that fixed it for me when my base/camera contacts gave similar issues a couple weeks ago.

You can buy the bases separately, non GPS is £6.99 and GPS is £16.99 from EPrance store on Amazon. I ordered a couple of spare non GPS based for myself just a few days ago.

Last edited:
Back