side view cam for backing out or ultra wide angle?

wannarecord

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was inches away from a big hit in a parking garage backing out very slowly. The lanes are one way which means they're narrow. The other person was probably doing around 25-30 mph and flew past me instead of stopping. I was even looking in their direction and was 1/4 of the way out when they passed. They had the nerve to stop and flip me off, lol.

I can't back into the spots because the garage lanes are 1 way and the spaces are all slanted in. I'd have to make a 7 point turn in the narrow lanes to back in.

Are there any side view or ultra wide backup cameras out there? I don't need it to be too clear, just enough to see if there's a car coming when I'm backing out and record it in a loop. I want it to be able to see what's coming when I'm backing out of a spot.

The other issue is mounting - I'm not going to drill into the bumper for this so maybe it could sit on the license plate frame area and stick out? I could also put it sticking out below the rear bumper.

Most such systems need some drilling. The widest horizontal FOV on rear cameras usually is 160-170 degree. If you want to see on the sides, then you need a 360 degree parking system. It has 4 cameras and EVR, but this installation requires a lot of wiring and more drilling.

There are reverse cameras with true 180 degree horizontal viewing angle but they're just for display, not recording

i'd leave the recording to a proper rear facing dash camera.

there are many discreet flush mount cameras you can use for backup functions.
i have this camera installed on my current and previous car:
41E1nrW8u7L.jpg

it's meant to be installed upside-down but you can flip the lens so that you can install it so that it takes the place of one of your license plate bolts like on my install:
image by nes☆, on Flickr

proper install of a backup camera ideally has your rear bumper in the frame so you can actually see how near your bumper is to the vehicle or wall is behind you.

if all you want is to see the view behind you and don't need to know your proximity to other objects behind, you can install this other type of flush-mount camera. i know you said you don't want to drill into your bumper but it should be pretty simple to install and still make it look neat and clean.

Back