SJCam M10 as a dashcam

David106

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C2, JooVuu X
For anyone thinking of using the M10 for dashcam duties here are my initial thoughts and observations..........

Pro's..........
1. Form factor is very good, this camera is tiny, the front elevation is very small and discreet.
2. In "car mode" the camera powers on, off and starts recording automatically with power.
3. Internal mic can be turned off in the setup menu.
4. Startup, shutdown and button chimes can be turned off.
5. Accepts 64gb memory cards.
6. Mounting options are infinite due to the use of the GoPro mounting system.
7. Supports loop recording.
8. 90 minutes of battery power so can be removed from car and will keep recording, handy if you need to take external footage of an accident scene.
9. No heat issues, camera was only slightly warm after an hour of recording.

Con's.......
1. Internal mic can not be turned off or on by any of the buttons.
2. No way to save a video file with the press of a button.
3. No g-sensor.........a con for some but not me.
4. Motion detection is rubbish, could not get this feature to work so just as well i don't use it.
5. There isn't a way to view video footage on the camera. - UPDATE Fixed this, I was using a 64gb memory card which wasn't formatted correctly.
6. No GPS......again this is a con for some but I don't use it.

If I am wrong about cons 1 and 2 I would be very happy to know about it, especially con 1 as this is all I personally will miss.

I noticed that the camera is a little loose in it's holder, I have added a bit of padding to tighten it up.

Last edited:
Further testing has shown that the recording not stopping issue is resolved by using a 32gb memory card.

Further observations for anyone reading this......................

1. I miss not having a button configured that will mute and unmute the mic, maybe a firmware addon in the future.
2. Its not exactly a stealth camera, i have a Mini 0803 in my car and compaired to that the M10 is much more noticable. I think the main reason is that the mountkng system doubles the overall height of the camera, i will have to look at alternative mounting options.
3. Compared to the 0803 the M10 video is a little sharper and brighter. Lighting changes are handled well and i think the FOV is a little wider.
4. Shame there is no emergency save video file button but i think this could be added in firmware.

4. Shame there is no emergency save video file button but i think this could be added in firmware.
Have you tried the different buttons while recording (well, at least the not obvious ones)? Some cameras, like the G1W-H, had "hidden" functions on some buttons until someone discovered them by trial and error.

My M10 is not able to save the last file/recording in dashcam mode (powered by car battery) without the battery in it.
See the file in the memory card when I read from my laptop (xxMB in .MOV format) but am not able to playback the file.
Is it defective or it really do need to have the battery in it in order to save the last file or else I have to stop the recording manually before i turn off the car engine?
Thanks in advance for any advise.

My M10 is not able to save the last file/recording in dashcam mode (powered by car battery) without the battery in it.
See the file in the memory card when I read from my laptop (xxMB in .MOV format) but am not able to playback the file.
Is it defective or it really do need to have the battery in it in order to save the last file or else I have to stop the recording manually before i turn off the car engine?
Thanks in advance for any advise.
I'm not that familiar with the M10 but, as a principle, you can't take the battery out when the camera is being used as a dashcam otherwise it won't have any power source to save the last file after the car power is turned off.

Last edited:
I read a discussions in a few forums before the purchase and thought the M10 has a capacitor/super-capacitor that provides (residual) power for the file-saving after the car power is turned off. Seems like that is not the case.
I just don't feel comfortable to leave the battery in the M10 and let it expose to sun light (heat of 30C+) for long hour when used as a dashcam.

I read a discussions in a few forums before the purchase and thought the M10 has a capacitor/super-capacitor that provides (residual) power for the file-saving after the car power is turned off.
Not that I know of. The only way to find that out is to see if the time resets when the battery is removed, but then again it may have a simple backup battery to keep the settings when the main battery is removed, so we may not draw any conclusions from there.

I just don't feel comfortable to leave the battery in the M10 and let it expose to sun light (heat of 30C+) for long hour when used as a dashcam.
The battery can be easily removed, you can take it out when the car is parked in the sun. :)

Reactions: sfc
You need the battery in the camera or you will lose the date and time and the camera will not function correctly.

Have you tried the different buttons while recording (well, at least the not obvious ones)? Some cameras, like the G1W-H, had "hidden" functions on some buttons until someone discovered them by trial and error.
Using a action cam as dashcam, better to look for some one support G-sensor.

Using a action cam as dashcam, better to look for some one support G-sensor.
G-Sensor doesn't work properly on any dashcam. No one is going to wait for a crash or a bump to lock a file and certainly no one wants a lot of inadvertedly locked files. If someone really needs to lock files while driving it's better to do it manually, if the camera allows it, of course. Otherwise, just get a big card or download the files daily to save the one they want.

Last edited:
G-Sensor doesn't work properly on any dashcam...

G-Sensing may not work properly on any dashcam you own, but it works well on my SGZC12RC. It's also 'buffered'.

In the past few weeks I've accumulated just 4 files in the Events folder, little over 1% of the >300 video clips on my 64GB card. If I wanted to manually lock a file, I would give the lens module a tap with a finger, but I've had no need to do as yet.

The SJCAM M10+ 2K adds Gyro Anti-shake support: M10+ Gyro

We will be uploading comparison videos between the M10 Wifi and M10+ 2K Gyro Cams. The difference is pretty big.

I've just received my M10 as a gift and was hoping to use it in my car. I want to have it permanently wired up, so looking for some advice as to what I need.
I only want power for when the ignition is on, so have been looking at these items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351444444445
Nice long cable to run from the fuse box behind the glove box to the camera.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00YSMPA24
This can piggy back off the cigarette lighter fuse.

I'm rubbish with electrics, so need to know if there is anything else I would need?

I've only just got the camera working with my SD card, so going to try it out in the car on battery for a few days

If it works like all the others you just need to put it in car mode, (and maybe loop record) and connect it with a micro USB car lighter adapter.

-Nate

I've just received my M10 as a gift and was hoping to use it in my car. I want to have it permanently wired up, so looking for some advice as to what I need.
I only want power for when the ignition is on, so have been looking at these items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351444444445
Nice long cable to run from the fuse box behind the glove box to the camera.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00YSMPA24
This can piggy back off the cigarette lighter fuse.

I'm rubbish with electrics, so need to know if there is anything else I would need?

I've only just got the camera working with my SD card, so going to try it out in the car on battery for a few days
In principle, no. Just make sure the power to the cigarette lighter is not always on.

One other thing: the hardwire kit you indicated has a micro USB plug and the M10 uses a mini USB.

One other thing: the hardwire kit you indicated has a micro USB plug and the M10 uses a mini USB.
My M10 is micro USB like most SJCAMs, seems unlikely they do both types?

It makes a reasonable dashcam, autostart etc works OK and the frame makes it reasonably easy to fit and remove.

I did finally get this all working as I wanted, however today I've had to send the M10 back. It keeps destroying memory cards, I've been through 3 in the short time I've had it and I'm using decent branded ones, in fact the last one was recommended on their website.

I did contact SJCam and did not get a response, so it's going back to Amazon for a refund.
I've decided on a GoPro Hero for an action cam and I'll get a dashcam to use as well, just trying to decide between the Mini or a Mobius

Destroying? How so?
Do they stop working in the camera and can never be used again or they just don't work there but still work in other devices?
Do you let the camera infinitely overwrite the files or you empty the cards every day or from time to time?
What brands and capacities have you been using?

Back