I guess you've received a faulty external microphone unit. I've recently got same issue from one of our customers, the mic he sent back recorded really bad and crackling sound, replaced to another unit which turned out to provide better and clearer sound than the internal mic (which is really good indeed).

Thanks evad. A faulty External Mic sounds probable. I'll wait and see if I get any more responses, where I have posted this, from others who have used both the SJ7 Star External and Internal Mics. If these users confirm that normally the External Mic should provide better sound than the Internal then I will contact the seller of the Mic, put together a couple of files showing the responses that I get and ask for a replacement.

Microphones and Sound

I haven't posted in these forums for some time. Since I got my SJ7 Star a few months ago I have been posting on the "Official" SJCam forums - BTW I have no idea why there are now two entirely separate forums in different parts of the SJCam support site - with different information and seemingly different moderators and members - but Hey-Ho!

Anyway I have now been reading the back information here and there seem to be some active and interested users of the SJ7 here too. When I got the SJ7Star one of the features which appealed was the potential to use an external microphone. One of the downsides of my SJ5000x Elite was the poor sound and inability to use external mics. I already had a GoPro compatible mic with a Mini-USB connector so assumed this could be used on the SJ7. As most people know this isn't possible. Only the SJCam mics can be used!

When I got the SJ7 however I was very impressed with the recorded sound from the Internal mic (now even better in current firmware v1.13) but anyway I went ahead with ordering the dedicated SJ7/SJ6/M20 standard (short neck) mic. It didn't worry me that this was on a long slow delivery from China via GearBest as it wasn't now so urgent. However when it finally arrived, a couple of days ago and I started testing, I was amazed how much worse this was then the Internal Mic!!! The playback volume is much lower at the same recorded level and the quality is really bad - no depth and tinny sound - even when played back on a good sound system!

Has anyone had good experience of using the external Microphone? I have tried it in all ways I can think of. At all different volumes - with the foam windscreen Off or On - with the Microphone Volume OFF in case this turned on the external Mic (it doesn't) - with the simple plastic mounting frame on or off, in case this meant the usb didn't quite push in far enough, no difference (BTW this frame covers the internal mic but doesn't hardly decrease the volume or quality at all).

There doesn't seem to be a place in any of the Menus to turn on the External Mic. Is there anything else that I can do? Has anyone had any success with this Microphone? Otherwise I'll just throw it in a drawer and wait until either SJCam improve firmware so that this Mic is better than the internal one or I am able to use a different Non-SJCam microphone directly via usb or via a usb/mic jack adaptor.

Disappointed!
My SJCam branded lav mic also made audio worse than the internal mic of my SJ7. Instead I used an Eaton mic that substantially improved audio over the internal mic. You'll need a 3.5mm TRRS x male mini USB adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B018F3YCNY
The mic-only version is no longer available. Instead it's sold bundled with other accessories. I don't know if it's the same mic or not.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01NBF0ZTR
http://www.eatonproductions.com/

Thanks evad. A faulty External Mic sounds probable. I'll wait and see if I get any more responses, where I have posted this, from others who have used both the SJ7 Star External and Internal Mics. If these users confirm that normally the External Mic should provide better sound than the Internal then I will contact the seller of the Mic, put together a couple of files showing the responses that I get and ask for a replacement.
We changed our Mic supplier and are testing firmware. We will let you know our finding.

V1.15 beta firmware is now being tested. We also have a new Amazon cloud server for app that is being tested. Let me know if you want to test FW and/or new server.

SJ7 v1.15 Changelog (upcoming) (May 13)

1. Optimize the connection to the APP after switching to 1080 * 120FPS open slow video switch other resolution or slow video problems

2. Just a resolution perspective selection, and then switch to 1080 * 30 video will crash the problem

3. Fixes when entering App photo mode, change the size of picture and it interferes with video resolution issue.

4. Adds Turkish, Hungarian, Finnish, Thai & Czech

Full List of Languages:

English / Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / Russian / German / Italian / French / Korean / Japanese / Portuguese / Spanish / Arabic / Polish / Indonesian / Dutch / Swedish / Finnish / Czech / Romanian / Slovak / Hungarian / Turkish / Thai

5. 1080P@120fps, 2.5K@30fps, 2.5K@60fps Bit rate increased

6. Fixes time-lapse record start time too slow, Crashes if you press shutter button.

7. UI shows some optimization

8. Re-adds FOV function - Exceptions: 1080P30fps, 1080P60fps not supported due to conflict with EIS.

9. Optimizes 1080P@120fps Image Quality (IQ) effects such sharpness and jagged edge effects.

10. Adds automatic low light menu option

11. Improves touchscreen response, sliding

12. Modifies the WiFi agreement with the EV value order and several other options.

13. Re-adds upgrading firmware via SJCAMZone App

14. Adds Auto Low Light option - Turn Mode off in low light and frames will not drop (but video will be darker).

15. Optimizes internal and external Mic volumes

V1.15 beta firmware is now being tested. We also have a new Amazon cloud server for app that is being tested. Let me know if you want to test FW and/or new server.

1. Optimize the connection to the APP after switching to 1080 * 120FPS open slow video switch other resolution or slow video problems

2. Just a resolution perspective selection, and then switch to 1080 * 30 video will crash the problem

3. Fixes when entering App photo mode, change the size of picture and it interferes with video resolution issue.

Full List of Languages:

English / Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / Russian / German / Italian / French / Korean / Japanese / Portuguese / Spanish / Arabic / Polish / Indonesian / Dutch / Swedish / Finnish / Czech / Romanian / Slovak / Hungarian / Turkish / Thai

6. Fixes time-lapse record start time too slow, Crashes if you press shutter button.

8. Re-adds FOV function - Exceptions: 1080P30fps, 1080P60fps not supported due to conflict with EIS.

9. Optimizes 1080P@120fps Image Quality (IQ) effects such sharpness and jagged edge effects.

12. Modifies the WiFi agreement with the EV value order and several other options.

14. Adds Auto Low Light option - Turn Mode off in low light and frames will not drop (but video will be darker).

Great runthrough video mate as always much appreciated :). Would love if you post the link here to the beta firmware for testing

Great runthrough video mate as always much appreciated :). Would love if you post the link here to the beta firmware for testing

Okay, I will PM you.

Cheers!

Can i use extreme micro with this case ?

Full List of Languages:

Full List of Languages:

My offerings will be short snippet videos edited with Corel VSP of birds on feeder and undersea from my dive trip in July.

First test clips from the SJ7 Star. Love the quality.
The video pauses and is not continuous. Have you noticed, Bob?
Have you stitched together time lapses?
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Full List of Languages:

Good stuff. Additional mounting accessories look interesting. SJCam accessories are usually good quality.

Have you finished checking the external mics from your new supplier?:)

EDIT: I just saw the e-mail you sent to me. It looks like you've finished testing the mics from your new supplier. Question answered!;)

Last edited:
[QUOTE="sjcam_official, post: 337510, member: 18005"
8. Re-adds FOV function - Exceptions: 1080P30fps, 1080P60fps not supported due to conflict with EIS.[/QUOTE]

....is this a joke??

i record only in 1080p due pc hardware limitations. and a timelapse video is in 30fps...

personally i don't need eis. if its really fact that i can't record my timelapse and normal (1080p) videos with fov i will switch the cam.

its boring and sad, maybe on x-mas the cam will be fully ready^^

We are working on an adapter. Also, @Terri confirmed you can use mic adapter and other mics.....

SJ7 Changelog (May 20th v1.15)

4. Adds Turkish, Hungarian, Finnish & Czech. Now the 23 languages are supported: English / Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / Russian / German / Italian / French / Korean / Japanese / Portuguese / Spanish / Arabic / Polish / Indonesian / Dutch / Swedish / Finnish / Czech / Romanian / Slovak / Hungarian / Turkish / Thai
5. 1080P@120fps, 2.5K@30fps, 2.5K@60fps Bitrate increased
6. Fixes timelapse record start time too slow, Crashes if you press shutter button.
8. Re-adds FOV function – Exceptions: 1080P30fps, 1080P60fps not supported due to conflict with EIS.
10. Adds Auto Low Light option – Turn Mode off in low light and frames will not drop (but video will be darker).
12. Modifies the WiFi agreement with the EV value order and several other options
13. Adds FPV mode (support for PWM). Use this cable: SJ6 SJ7 FPV Cable
14. Adds when in Quick Capture mode, after push shutter button to stop recording, camera turns off after 10 seconds.
15) When uploading material to SJCAM Zone app, the camera will do into standby mode instead of sleep mode.
16) Fixes WiFi drops when connecting to SJCAM Zone App

nah, seems that no one cares...mine is allready brocken.
I've used the one included with my SJ4000 for 21 months without a hitch. I've used the one included with my Elephone Explorer Pro for about a year with no problems.

We are working on an adapter. Also, @Terri confirmed you can use mic adapter and other mics.....

SJ7 Changelog (May 20th v1.15)

4. Adds Turkish, Hungarian, Finnish & Czech. Now the 23 languages are supported: English / Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / Russian / German / Italian / French / Korean / Japanese / Portuguese / Spanish / Arabic / Polish / Indonesian / Dutch / Swedish / Finnish / Czech / Romanian / Slovak / Hungarian / Turkish / Thai
5. 1080P@120fps, 2.5K@30fps, 2.5K@60fps Bitrate increased
6. Fixes timelapse record start time too slow, Crashes if you press shutter button.
8. Re-adds FOV function – Exceptions: 1080P30fps, 1080P60fps not supported due to conflict with EIS.
10. Adds Auto Low Light option – Turn Mode off in low light and frames will not drop (but video will be darker).
12. Modifies the WiFi agreement with the EV value order and several other options
13. Adds FPV mode (support for PWM). Use this cable: SJ6 SJ7 FPV Cable
14. Adds when in Quick Capture mode, after push shutter button to stop recording, camera turns off after 10 seconds.
15) When uploading material to SJCAM Zone app, the camera will do into standby mode instead of sleep mode.
16) Fixes WiFi drops when connecting to SJCAM Zone App
What is the likelyhood that you can rewrite scripts to allow FOV settings in 1080p?

Back