Small pause and overlap at the beginning of all files

There is a simple way to change trim value in one double-clic.

Just create a 118.reg file with this content :

So, I will create a .reg file for each dashcam, I will just have to run this .reg file each time I run RV ;)

Yes, this is also an option for you, for me and few others who know / want to mess around with registry, but for average joe this might be not an easy task, so still need to talk to RV developer to make things easier.

I've tested with file1/file2 from first post with 1000ms value.
It seems to be OK but I have a frame that is not at its right place.
Something like this :
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQNRSTURVWXYZ
K = stitch point
R = 1 frame repeated at a wrong place

What is strange, is that 'R' frame do not belong to the 1s overlap

I just traveled 1500 miles and to my dismay it only recorded the first 5 miles. I did not bother checking until last night I changed the loop to three minutes from five. Now I see the files. Lets see if they get overwritten. Pissed me off. I truly hate the blinking red led light it should be only blinking when it is truly recording. I can barely see the screen red light I need my glasses. I should have checked sooner.

I've tested with file1/file2 from first post with 1000ms value.
It seems to be OK but I have a frame that is not at its right place.
Something like this :
K = stitch point

What is strange, is that 'R' frame do not belong to the 1s overlap

So, I went back to my earlier stitching using AVS where I was using also 1000ms cut value and between 1st and 2nd videos there was nice smooth playback with almost no visible gap ( if only to be very-very picky, maybe 0.0001sec or so ), but strange thing that between every next video ( 3rd, 4th, 5th ), - there was a "click" ( very very small jump ) and sort of shadow-frame doubling, but overall video length kept almost smooth, just this shadow-double frame some how was like a "tail".

If to go to RV to adjust trim values to 1000, then between 1st and 2nd there is almost OK ( only little cklick ), but every next video clip stitched got more and more of that shadow-frame, even more than in AVS.

It looks like exactly what you talking about @

K = stitch point

I tried to adjust different trim values starting from 950 to 1100 by 10 step, but I think its impossible to extract that "shadow-frame" our from inside clip using RV or AVS. Probably need to talk to team who has SDK to this Novatek solution.

Thanks for this analysis.
It is same chipset as G1W, so why does that work simply with G1W and not with A118 ?

Thanks for this analysis.
It is same chipset as G1W, so why does that work simply with G1W and not with A118 ?
This is a 2 moth headache for me to understand :(

1. .mov file codec is not the same as on ALL other NT96650 + AR0330 dashcams. I can not use raw files on AVS Video Editor, always need to convert .mov to .mov, only then can use.

2. unusual overlap timing figure ( not exact 1000ms like on others )

3. overlap has some "shadow-frames", like you described trough A, B, C, D ......

If only I could get access to SDK, but this is impossible.

Anyway, some changes need to be done in FW in order to get proper smooth stitching.

Anyway, some changes need to be done in FW in order to get proper smooth stitching.
Is someone working on this , or at least informed about this issue ?

I don't know that anyone would see the need to change it, overlap is standard fare in this platform, it just does things a little differently to most

I believe for 99.99% of users its not a big deal because main purpose of dashcam is to capture an accident, so from this point of view its OK.
Only issue comes for those who want to record long trip footage for so called more "professional" presentation, then there will be an issue with overlap shadow-frame that can not be extracted at the moment. But I guess those who do proffessional work, - they use high-end movie rec equipment. You can not demand 100% from 70usd product. However it would be nice if it worked ( processed data ) same way as other similar hardware / firmware platform dashcams.
Anyway, its not a deal-braker for me. Formfactor vs price and overall performance is fair.

I believe for 99.99% of users its not a big deal because main purpose of dashcam is to capture an accident, so from this point of view its OK.
I do not fully agree.

If the accident occurs at the stitching point, the average Joe will have a headache to produce a correct video to his insurance company.

The hardest is to cut the 1000ms, but now I know how to do it simply.
But does average Joe know it ?

Anyway, this shadow-frame is not really an issue for me as soon as I can remove these 1000ms easily.

I do not fully agree.

If the accident occurs at the stitching point, the average Joe will have a headache to produce a correct video to his insurance company.

I don't believe any accident happens that quickly that it could occur within a dropped frame

I don't believe any accident happens that quickly that it could occur within a dropped frame
I don't say that !
I'm talking about the 1000ms overlap.
If you don't remove it, the video footage is not clean to be watched by an insurance company.
And with the A118, it is harder to remove compared to G1W for example.

I don't say that !
I'm talking about the 1000ms overlap.
If you don't remove it, the video footage is not clean to be watched by an insurance company.
And with the A118, it is harder to remove compared to G1W for example.

an overlap or repeated frame is nowhere near as big an issue as missing footage would be

I've noticed something strange.

I have a small overlap at the beginning of each file, and also a little pause.
(Except the first file when I start the car.)

It appears on my both A118 dashcams, with 2 differents brand of 32GB micro SD card.

I've uploaded the end of file 1 and beginning of file 2 :

End of file 1 : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxdsi3_riDEkXzg3TENGTEZ2WHc/edit?usp=sharing
Beginning of file 2 : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxdsi3_riDEkSlZycGVUeWlxQmM/edit?usp=sharing

Is it a firmware issue ?

I'm getting the exact same thing. The overlap I can live with, can edit it out, but the wee frame jump that is about one second in on each clip is very annoying!
Hopefully this can be fixed with a future firmware update.

Here is a quick clip showing the frame jump,

i noticed the flicker about 1s into each clip myself, and i figured it was just a glitch caused by watching the videos directly off the camera, hooked to my laptop by usb, but now i see it's not that.

i'm not super concerned about it but it would be nice if it could be fixed. i wonder if it's caused by the previous file being closed - maybe the file system or processor can't handle it properly. that said, i'd rather have this glitch than to have a gap between files.

I think insurance adjusters (and certainly courts) would rather have raw footage, overlaps, glitches and all, than something that's been edited, stitched and cleaned up.

Back