Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

jokiin said:
I wish they were closer, we are getting there though, our debug samples should be about 3 weeks away, was meant to be 2 weeks but that's one of those things that crops up, anyway we'll have some hand built initial beta units which will go out to a few different people and likely some fine tuning before mass production, the models we're doing are getting done one at a time, basically because we need to as it's a lot of work for engineering staff so the next few months will be more of the same as we work through the same process on each model, the actual tooling has some overlap between a few different hardware versions (same outside, different inside) so we will save a bit of time from that so some of the later models will roll out a bit quicker hopefully, they are getting more complex as the models go though have been working on this for quite a long time so looking forward to getting closer to release
So debug samples in 3 weeks and then how long till mass production for the first model?

What about the REV 2's 120 degrees vs REV 2.1's 140 degrees optics?

ciuvak said:
I speak russian; the first comment you translated is referring to the camera getting too loose in the dock, and shaking while driving, which he thinks is affecting the quality of the recorded sound. I guess the guy has been taking it out a lot when getting out of the car (fear of theft?). Maybe the plastic wore down. I personally haven't noticed any significant play in the bracket/dock connection, but I only take it out maybe once a week?
There use to be a Rev 1 of this camera, which had 512MB internal memory soldered on board. The Rev 2 of this model has improved sensor and optics, and has been manufactured since June. As far as I know the Rev 1 is obsolete and no one is still selling it.
Then, shortly after, the factory issued another rev, I guess you can call it 2.1? This one has an internal memory slot, so you can have one microsd card inside the camera and one slot outside. These will not run in parallel, but it's useful if you want to give the original video files with the micorsd card to the police on the spot. In this case before you do that, you can copy the important files to the internal memory and keep those for yourself. I'm not sure if the firmware allows it but in theory one could open up the camera take out the 8GB internal microsd and replace with a 32GB, although maybe there is no practical point?
One more thing, the firmware for Rev 2.1 does not work on Rev 2, I've already tried it.
Also, the price that you see on that website is not Russian rubles, it's 2100 Ukrainian Hryvnia which equals 258.40 US Dollar? That's in line with what Russian customers say on forums, complaining that the camera is 200-250 in Russia from Procam with local warranty, when they can get same camera for $100 from Ali.

Thanks, I guess it has nothing to do with the loose mic then. Good to know on the REV 1 vs REV 2 vs REV 2.1! And yeah 258 dollars is outrageous for a re-branded cam. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting. I'll see if I can spot anything that might cause harmonic/vibration distortion with the mic. (once someone points out where it is exactly in the previous pix)

ciuvak said:
haven't opened the product page on Ali for a long time, but did just now and very impressed that almost everyone gives it 5 stars feedback. Even if the firmware could use some polishing, it's good to see that at least there is some good quality control on the hardware and people don't get lemons.

ciuvak said:
haven't opened the product page on Ali for a long time, but did just now and very impressed that almost everyone gives it 5 stars feedback. Even if the firmware could use some polishing, it's good to see that at least there is some good quality control on the hardware and people don't get lemons.

If the eBay one (most likely REV 2) I receive soon has audio issues I can't fix myself, I might give the REV 2.1 ali one a shot. At least I'll have a real world test on both, and will be sure to upload test videos. I don't mind re-selling failed test buy's on eBay to recover 90%-100% of the cost.

jokiin said:
robertthegreat said:
Jokiin are your new cams getting close now.I am not even looking at others till yours are for sale. The wife can have the one i have now. And yours for the truck.

I wish they were closer, we are getting there though, our debug samples should be about 3 weeks away, was meant to be 2 weeks but that's one of those things that crops up, anyway we'll have some hand built initial beta units which will go out to a few different people and likely some fine tuning before mass production, the models we're doing are getting done one at a time, basically because we need to as it's a lot of work for engineering staff so the next few months will be more of the same as we work through the same process on each model, the actual tooling has some overlap between a few different hardware versions (same outside, different inside) so we will save a bit of time from that so some of the later models will roll out a bit quicker hopefully, they are getting more complex as the models go though

have been working on this for quite a long time so looking forward to getting closer to release

Well like I said, I don't mind reselling what ever I end up with in the short term. (or re-purposing it as my rear camera)

ciuvak said:
So debug samples in 3 weeks and then how long till mass production for the first model?

was scheduled for mid next month, I feel it's going to push out into October though, nothing to date that has confirmed that but just the nature of things for issues to crop up

JazJon said:
both should have the same hardware, so same optics: 140 degrees.
JazJon said:
If the eBay one (most likely REV 2) I receive soon has audio issues I can't fix myself, I might give the REV 2.1 ali one a shot. At least I'll have a real world test on both, and will be sure to upload test videos. I don't mind re-selling failed test buy's on eBay to recover 90%-100% of the cost.
On Ali you will find both versions, just look for the "8GB onboard" logo if you want that particular one. Other than the additional internal memory there shouldn't be any differences, like sensor or optics.

jokiin said:
was scheduled for mid next month, I feel it's going to push out into October though, nothing to date that has confirmed that but just the nature of things for issues to crop up
Too bad :(
You know how impatient are these guys on the forum. :cool:
Well, at least you know that everyone here is rooting for you and the team to produce a great product.

ciuvak said:
jokiin said:
Well, at least you know that everyone here is rooting for you and the team to produce a great product.

I appreciate the support, wish we had them sooner but in an effort to do things correctly ........

ciuvak said:
JazJon said:
both should have the same hardware, so same optics: 140 degrees.
JazJon said:
On Ali you will find both versions, just look for the "8GB onboard" logo if you want that particular one. Other than the additional internal memory there shouldn't be any differences, like sensor or optics.

The log on the CX4 page shows 120 degrees, but it's hard to know which REV he is/was referring to.
http://www.aeextr.com.ua/product_301.html

XJQJGJV.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jokiin said:
ciuvak said:
jokiin said:

I appreciate the support, wish we had them sooner but in an effort to do things correctly ........

I find myself searching Jokiin's recent posts to see his input all over the DashCamTalk forums. (I'm always impressed with his fair mostly unbiased responses, tact, and highly technical answers)
Until the Jokiin UltraCam (not the real name of course) comes out I'm all about the Smallest Ambarella for now :)

almaz said:
It could be less angle in full HD
we are beating a dead horse here, the official spec for Rev 2 is 140 degrees, the 120 was the spec for Rev 1. That picture could be a graphic made for the older model. And in any case these numbers don't mean anything anyway, unless someone actually measures the real degrees.

I've found the mic. It's on the inner surface of the circuit board that the lens is screwed onto, not the one with the hole cut out for the lens to poke through.

If you look at the top of the cam, there's a small indentation with a small hole in next to the round socket, that's where the mic is hiding. If you pull the two boards apart, (they're only held together by the pins on the three black rectangular bits.) You can see it says mic on the board next to it.

I've temporarily covered my mic with a bit of memory foam. Hopefully it might have some effect. A quick test with my laptop at full volume playing motorway noise, some load music and then me doing a spot of singing seems promising.

ciuvak said:
almaz said:
It could be less angle in full HD
we are beating a dead horse here, the official spec for Rev 2 is 140 degrees, the 120 was the spec for Rev 1. That picture could be a graphic made for the older model. And in any case these numbers don't mean anything anyway, unless someone actually measures the real degrees.

I can't read Russian but if the 5.0 refers to megapixels that was the first version

Ah ok so it's most likely 140 degrees then and sample videos floating around are accurate. (looks good)

almaz said:
JazJon said:
almaz said:

Thanks for the unboxing video :)
Huh? :)

Let me re-phrase it, I meant Thanks for sharing that youtube link. (The Russian guy unboxing the camera and comparing it to the older 720p cousin was especially interesting) I hadn't seen it before and it's nice to see someone holding it for proportions.

irononreverse said:
I've found the mic. It's on the inner surface of the circuit board that the lens is screwed onto, not the one with the hole cut out for the lens to poke through.

If you look at the top of the cam, there's a small indentation with a small hole in next to the round socket, that's where the mic is hiding. If you pull the two boards apart, (they're only held together by the pins on the three black rectangular bits.) You can see it says mic on the board next to it.

I've temporarily covered my mic with a bit of memory foam. Hopefully it might have some effect. A quick test with my laptop at full volume playing motorway noise, some load music and then me doing a spot of singing seems promising.

Ok good to know, so we can't see it in exisiting photos posted eh. Want post some photos? :) It sounds like you're on to something! The foam resting against the mic might just eliminate the sustained "rattle" (harmonics in play?) noise caused by certain bumps in the road and load frequencies. I'll do the same thing once mine arrives in two weeks off the slow boat from China. I'll rip out a piece of my temperpedic memory foam mattress or try to get a free sample online. EDIT: I just ordered this free sample kit :) http://www.tempurpedic.com/our-company/ ... on-kit.asp

JazJon said:
Let me re-phrase it, I meant Thanks for sharing that youtube link. (The Russian guy unboxing the camera and comparing it to the older 720p cousin was especially interesting) I hadn't seen it before and it's nice to see someone holding it for proportions.
Hey Jaz,
No sweat. I just was confused since that link to Russian unbox was posted like on 2nd page of this page. I just brought it to your (all) attention to show what models were compared at 3:17. Peace!

almaz said:
JazJon said:
Hey Jaz,
No sweat. I just was confused since that link to Russian unbox was posted like on 2nd page of this page. I just brought it to your (all) attention to show what models were compared at 3:17. Peace!

It was! oh yeah, well we are on page 29 now lol. The first time I read through every page I wasn't taking this camera ver seriously, and was unaware of the earlier 720p cousin. (so didn't stick to memory of having watched it) It's probably best to repeat info after a certain point in these epic long threads. The Smallest Ambarella doesn't have it's own section yet so we're forced to have one long conversation here. :)

The guys in the 808 #18 DR32 area are on to something fixing their defective mic. (very similar distortion!)

I might go down this path if the foam doesn't work.

Here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1109&start=180#p23170

And Here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1109&start=180#p23170

But like Jokiin said over on the 808 #18 DR32 Thread:
jokiin said:
the impedance of the mic will likely be different, just a matter of finding what works best, that generally varies depending on what solution they are using for the amp/mic circuit

We might have trouble tracking down something let alone try and solder BETWEEN two circuit boards. You said they come apart with pins, hopefully the traces are not impossibly small to do something with. Again I'm thinking way ahead here but putting it out there. Someone please post pix since I don't even have mine yet. I'm planning my trouble shooting/modding before I even have it lol.

My soldering skills aren't pretty, but it gets the job done! (former Electronics Tech in the Air Force)
I just repaired my 10 y/o $150 Rota-Dent toothbrush. (replaced the $2 NiCd battery) I made a "how to" video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWRQ9m1k9tg

JazJon said:
Ok good to know, so we can't see it in exisiting photos posted eh. Want post some photos? :) It sounds like you're on to something! The foam resting against the mic might just eliminate the sustained "rattle" (harmonics in play?) noise caused by certain bumps in the road and load frequencies. I'll do the same thing once mine arrives in two weeks off the slow boat from China. I'll rip out a piece of my temperpedic memory foam mattress or try to get a free sample online. EDIT: I just ordered this free sample kit :) http://www.tempurpedic.com/our-company/ ... on-kit.asp

T3gvrPm.jpg

Here's a photo. My foam just about covers the surface of the mic and butts up against the bottom of the circuitboard above.

Going on a little drive later so should be able to see if it works.

[EDIT]

Ok, that was too much foam, might try a thin covering over the mic instead.

irononreverse said:
JazJon said:

T3gvrPm.jpg

Here's a photo. My foam just about covers the surface of the mic and butts up against the bottom of the circuitboard above.

Going on a little drive later so should be able to see if it works.

[EDIT]

Ok, that was too much foam, might try a thin covering over the mic instead.

Thanks for the photo! (so I know what to expect)

By "too much foam" do you mean your sound was muted/muffled too much? Maybe Memory Foam is too dense/thick. There has to be something we can use to cut down the vibration/harmonic rattle buildup noise, but lets sound waves hit the sensor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back