Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

jokiin said:
All the ones I've seen have used black 3M VHB, white is not appropriate at all, don't know what they think sometimes

Seriously, Some things are just common sense! I meant to point out the white tape when I first got mine but forgot about it until it was pointed out by someone else again. My black tape is on order (love dx.com apple $1.70 lightning cables too!), I don't mind re-mounting it if the tape doesn't arrive before the new 0801 shows up.

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

JazJon said:
Seems pretty ok now, glad you fixed your old batch 0801 sound. It might even be BETTER than normal/new 0801's. Can you post the RAW files via DropBox? I want to hear the natural volume if youtube screwed it up. Any chance you can post photos of the new mic what it looks like and how it's soldered/mounted?

Here's a dropbox link to a more recent clip with the pothole.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/372 ... MBA0005.TS

I'd rather not open my cam again, I think I've stripped 3 of the 4 screws holding it together, but I've drawn a basic diagram of what I've done. Can't remember the polarities though.

pFd0jEe.jpg

The new mic is larger than the old one, and with some foam (the blue bits) on the sides, wedges itself perfectly between the two boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer oh well thanks for the virtual drawing at least lol
Your shared link doesn't work. You have to provide the "public link"
Right click the file you want to share, see dropbox in the content menu.
(share that way to get the right public link)

I found the Sony Ericsson HEADSET for $2.49 on ebay.

JazJon said:

That is the public link, it's only just finished uploading. Should work now.

It's a 5 minute clip so about 400mb

I actually think just detaching the existing mic from the board and doing the same setup would probably sort out a lot of the blowouts. I think most of them are due to vibrations from the board itself.

irononreverse said:
JazJon said:

Got it, I didn't know you could pre-share a file on dropbox before it's finished uploading. I just downloaded and watched. Seems good! nice work. I can tell the gain is cranked down on yours too so I guess all 0801's are set tot he same level. (old and new) You might want to try the CPL mod I've been working on to reduce reflections/glare. All you need now is the .MOV firmware update and you'll be on par with the new batches.

JazJon said:
Leyte said:
@JazJon

Can you ask your contact if they plan on updating the firmware so this cam offers a speed display of MPH in addition to KPH? If so, can they offer a date as to when that may occur? Also, do they have a method that allows us to download firmware updates, such as a website or some other way?

Good idea! We might as well take advantage of this clear line of communication while we're on a role. Here's what I sent.

Me:
04:54 Sep 04,2013
Hi Lia,
Can you please ask your firmware programmer the following? Several members are asking me to relay this to you -
"Do you plan on updating the firmware so this cam offers a speed display of MPH in addition to KPH? If so, can you offer a date as to when that may occur? Also, do you have a method that allows us to download firmware updates, such as a website or some other way?"
Thanks!
~Jon

I got a semi-answer, but it's more Engrish than before. (Should we interpret her response as a yes to both?)

"GIVOE Sales:
18:46 Sep 04,2013
Hi Jon, I heard factory now make the fw to updated, later can get the news. if I get it I will share to you.
Best wishes,
Lia"

JazJon said:
irononreverse said:
JazJon said:

Got it, I didn't know you could pre-share a file on dropbox before it's finished uploading. I just downloaded and watched. Seems good! nice work. I can tell the gain is cranked down on yours too so I guess all 0801's are set tot he same level. (old and new) You might want to try the CPL mod I've been working on to reduce reflections/glare. All you need now is the .MOV firmware update and you'll be on par with the new batches.

JazJon said:
Leyte said:
@JazJon

Can you ask your contact if they plan on updating the firmware so this cam offers a speed display of MPH in addition to KPH? If so, can they offer a date as to when that may occur? Also, do they have a method that allows us to download firmware updates, such as a website or some other way?

Good idea! We might as well take advantage of this clear line of communication while we're on a role. Here's what I sent.

Me:
04:54 Sep 04,2013
Hi Lia,
Can you please ask your firmware programmer the following? Several members are asking me to relay this to you -
"Do you plan on updating the firmware so this cam offers a speed display of MPH in addition to KPH? If so, can you offer a date as to when that may occur? Also, do you have a method that allows us to download firmware updates, such as a website or some other way?"
Thanks!
~Jon

I got a semi-answer, but it's more Engrish than before. (Should we interpret her response as a yes to both?)

"GIVOE Sales:
18:46 Sep 04,2013
Hi Jon, I heard factory now make the fw to updated, later can get the news. if I get it I will share to you.
Best wishes,
Lia"

I've been following your CPL mod with interest. I've currently got a bit of 3D glasses lens covering mine, but due to the rake of my windscreen, I don't know if it's possible to eliminate the reflections entirely.

Waiting eagerly for firmware news.

irononreverse said:
I've been following your CPL mod with interest. I've currently got a bit of 3D glasses lens covering mine, but due to the rake of my windscreen, I don't know if it's possible to eliminate the reflections entirely.

Waiting eagerly for firmware news.

3d glasses are linear polarized, you want circular polarized so you can adjust the angle to the perfect sweet spot. I'm still waiting for my amazon CPL order to arrive then the 3D Printer guy (Laser Gnomes) is ready to meet with me down town. (San Francisco) He's excited to help out and thinks it's a neat project. It should reduce reflections/glare 85%-99% from what I've seen if done right. Detail and Colors are easier to see in general too, I'm looking forward to a successful DIY

UPDATE: amazon says it was delivered! I'm gong to check my mailbox now

Updating my DIY thread now: (I'll post videos soon)
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343&p=24578#p24578
a36uJxy.jpg

I did a quick night CPL test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/owv4xxjmv3eph ... MBA0020.TS
(it needs to be done during daylight but wanted to at least try it out)

I just got this response from ebay seller eprance (more good news!)

"Hey Jon,
Nice to see you again.
I am just begin my day job.
Yes, we got the information the MOV version it come out on the market.
So may i ask if you want to buy a new one, or want us to send you the software for updating??
We wil got the software in two days. And then i will send it to you.
Waiting for my massage.
Thanks.
Demi - e-prance"

I'm not sure why she wants a massage though? j/k gotta love Engrish. I let her know to yes please send me the software update in 2 day.

I'm still happy I bought a new one from Givoe though since the test shows it has no stuck/dead cmos sensor pixels

Leyte said:
Most excellent!

What would be really nice is if Dash Cam Talk had a place on the product information page like you posted above 0801 Dash Cam for updated firmware downloads. This way the seller can send to the admin here the updated firmware and then it could be posted on the information page for those who wish to download it. Not sure if this would be possible but it would certainly help the sellers get the firmware out to the buyers and the buyers would always know where to find an update.

Just a thought...

Anyone is welcome to send us firmware or post a link to a file sharing site with firmware. I will try to include on the site to make it easier for people to download. Sometimes I may miss a post with firmware...just PM me and I will host here.

Hello All,

After seeing the review of this Mini DVR from Techmoan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8), I am really confused which DVR to choose. Earlier I had zeroed on to GS900/VF960S (http://www.viofo.com/GPS-Car-DVR/ambare ... p-111.html).But now it seems that this Mini DVR is more packed & compact and it can be discreetly placed under your rear view mirror.

Asking the owners of this Mini DVR, does this cam records the speed on the recorded video? Actually if there is no speed stamp on the recorded video, the whole purpose of getting a GPS DVR gets defeated.

If you go to the forum of GS900/VF960S, the manufacturer has updated the firmware and the video displays the vehicle speed (though there is delay of 4-5 seconds, as per the owners). The link to this video is (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1283&start=60). If you notice, there is speed stamp at the bottom left of the video. The video quality of GS900/VF960S is impeccable and the night vision is great too.

The advantage of this Mini DVR is its size & compactness. Still confused which one to buy :(

Thanks

typicalvishu said:
Hello All,

After seeing the review of this Mini DVR from Techmoan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8), I am really confused which DVR to choose. Earlier I had zeroed on to GS900/VF960S (http://www.viofo.com/GPS-Car-DVR/ambare ... p-111.html).But now it seems that this Mini DVR is more packed & compact and it can be discreetly placed under your rear view mirror.

Asking the owners of this Mini DVR, does this cam records the speed on the recorded video? Actually if there is no speed stamp on the recorded video, the whole purpose of getting a GPS DVR gets defeated.

If you go to the forum of GS900/VF960S, the manufacturer has updated the firmware and the video displays the vehicle speed (though there is delay of 4-5 seconds, as per the owners). The link to this video is (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1283&start=60). If you notice, there is speed stamp at the bottom left of the video. The video quality of GS900/VF960S is impeccable and the night vision is great too.

The advantage of this Mini DVR is its size & compactness. Still confused which one to buy :(

Thanks

I have all onscreen display stamps turned OFF
The mini 0801 records GPS data into .LOG files in a seperate GPS folder regardless if stamps are turned on or off in the 0801 options.

There is no need to have hard coded on screen display text when you can use the following app AFTERwards. (to add them in any size, font, and location)
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html (*tip, hit F3 to use Google Maps)
(it will pick up the .LOG files since they have the same name as the .MOV files) You'll see a nice map of where you were etc.

You can select all or parts of your trip you want to export to a new file. It will embed the GPS data from the .LOG files into the new .MP4 it creates.

There is also an option to generate a .SRT (subtitle file) that contains the GPS speed/location data as well.

This .SRT file can be added to your youtube video afterwards. It will then show up onscreen in youtube as CC (Closed Caption) and you can turn it on/off.
(pretty neat)

Here's an example where I left both the hard coded stamp on (in the upper left) and used registratorviewer's .SRT file for CC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USmUQvtMLTA
(notice how you can click the CC button to turn it off)

I love the size, quality, feature set, and price point of my mini 0801. Be sure to check out the FAQ page. http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

I just placed an order for the new Giveo's MOV batch thanks to JazJon. Hope it will be as deadpixel free as the one submited as demo for JazJon and stable.
It will be my first dashcam. Very few users in france.
I'll keep you updated when i received it.

JazJon said:
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html (*tip, hit F3 to use Google Maps)
(it will pick up the .LOG files since they have the same name as the .MOV files) You'll see a nice map of where you were etc.

You can select all or parts of your trip you want to export to a new file. It will embed the GPS data from the .LOG files into the new .MP4 it creates.

There is also an option to generate a .SRT (subtitle file) that contains the GPS speed/location data as well.

This .SRT file can be added to your youtube video afterwards. It will then show up onscreen in youtube as CC (Closed Caption) and you can turn it on/off.
(pretty neat)

Thumbs Up for the detailed explanation....the video in the youtube also corroborates your claim and looks great!

Few more questions to make myself clear:
I have never used Registratorview, but to my understanding it is player which combines the video(.mov) file & the GPS(.log) file and plays it. I am not sure if it can extract both the files & CREATE a new .MP4 file with all the GPS data (Speed, as I am concerned) embedded into it and which can be played just like a normal video in any player. If this is the case, then I can upload this new file directly to youtube without having the need of the .SRT file. Do I sound sane?

Let me know your views. Thanks in advance.

nuxator said:
I just placed an order for the new Giveo's MOV batch thanks to JazJon. Hope it will be as deadpixel free as the one submited as demo for JazJon and stable.
It will be my first dashcam. Very few users in france.
I'll keep you updated when i received it.

Can I have the buying link as I am also keen to buy it after reading so many positive comments here.

Hi all

I brought this camera on the advice from this thread. Great forum you’ve got here btw.
From ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200956994171
The firmware is 20130821

File format is still TS but using the driver codec pack posted earlier http://shark007.net/ I can use the files with RegistratorViewer so that’s fine.
No dead pixels and good sound. Overall I’m happy with it.

Biggest problem is the bitrate is only 6Mbps. 5 minute video is 277mb. I was hoping to get at least 10Mbps.
Really hope I can download a newer f/w soon.

typicalvishu said:
JazJon said:

(pretty neat)

Thumbs Up for the detailed explanation....the video in the youtube also corroborates your claim and looks great!

Few more questions to make myself clear:
I have never used Registratorview, but to my understanding it is player which combines the video(.mov) file & the GPS(.log) file and plays it. I am not sure if it can extract both the files & CREATE a new .MP4 file with all the GPS data (Speed, as I am concerned) embedded into it and which can be played just like a normal video in any player. If this is the case, then I can upload this new file directly to youtube without having the need of the .SRT file. Do I sound sane?

Let me know your views. Thanks in advance.

No problem, glad I can help get the most out of this thing.

Yes RegistratorViewer will play the videos and automatically show your route via the map on the right if you have the .LOG (gps file). It know's to look in the other GPS folder if you're playing the file directly from the microSD card as well. It will also work if you have both files in the same directory.

Ok, if you (File, Save Selected Fragment) or right click the grouped files on bottom right and pick (Save Group As) it will output a new .MP4 file. It embeds the GPS data into the .MP4 file as a embedded subtitle. This subtitle will be shown if you use VLC Player etc. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

If you upload this new .MP4 to youtube, it doesn't seem to auto import embedded subtitles. This is the only reason you have to manually upload the .SRT file instead.

How to add caption files or transcripts to your videos
-Visit your Video Manager and click the drop-down menu next to the “Edit” button for the video you’d like to add captions to Select Captions
-click the Add captions button
-click upload button below TIMED CAPTION FILE
-browse to the .SRT file registratorviewer created
(this can all be done on the same page you upload a new file on as well)

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en
https://support.google.com/youtube/answ ... ption&rd=1

Maddox said:
Hi all

I brought this camera on the advice from this thread. Great forum you’ve got here btw.
From ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200956994171
The firmware is 20130821

File format is still TS but using the driver codec pack posted earlier http://shark007.net/ I can use the files with RegistratorViewer so that’s fine.
No dead pixels and good sound. Overall I’m happy with it.

Biggest problem is the bitrate is only 6Mbps. 5 minute video is 277mb. I was hoping to get at least 10Mbps.
Really hope I can download a newer f/w soon.

It's true you can PLAY the .TS files, but you won't be able to export a segment to .MP4 (you'll get an error) TS files are a pain in the ass. I contacted the developer of RegistratorViewer and he said he doesn't want to support the format. (he said it's a terrible complicated format and wasn't worth it)

The only reason the firmware programmers ended up using .TS the last few months was as a work around. They originally had a reliability problem using .MOV that was only recently over come.

Bitrate has always been slightly over 10Mbps for me and others. Why is yours only 6Mbps? The new firmware test (short clip) shows it's over 11MBps. Hopefully it's still 11MBps with a longer clip we'll see!

Your UK eBay page says it records in .MOV yet yours is .TS as well? (even with such a new firmware?) Did you contact that seller to find out if they will have access to the new 201309XX September firmware?

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

JazJon said:
The NZ site promoted by TechMoan is responding to questions in the youtube comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8
http://offthenet.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=42&tracking=5221a190a9e55

Their latest one said:

"lacrossetechnology 1 hour ago
We got these custom made with our own specs from the manufacture, we ship the same day and usually about 3-5 days delivery to the UK"

so I just asked:

"JazJon 1 second ago
Why does your product page say "Brand: Apple"? That makes no sense. Will you have an updated firmware to record in .MOV instead of .TS? Your specs sheet say it's MOV but the review clearly shows it records in .TS which is not compatible with iPhone or Apple Computers. If so how soon until a firmware update is available?"

NZ site is over $175 with GPS, so over priced ($25 shipping!) but I still want to know if they are overcoming the outstanding .MOV bug or not.

Why is the NZ seller being so secretive on youtube? (comes across as games/BS) Unless they tell us, I would bet NZ has nothing at all that is technically Superior and are simply unable to much ebay or aliexpress prices.
A superior lens is worth paying extra for ... please let us see video clips taken with the standard lens & with your spec lens. Is the Mic upgraded? Persuade us to buy your unique version of this DashCam!

lacrossetechnology 17 minutes ago
Sure thats upto you, we arn't holding a gun to your head to purchase through us, however you wont be getting the same camera. The camera Techmoan reviewed was purchased by himself through our website, so from his review you know what you are getting from us.

JazJon 2 seconds ago
Well unless you tell us, we have to assume you have nothing at all that is technically superior and are simply unable to match ebay or aliexpress prices. (which is fine, but no need to play marketing games) Paying an extra $50 premium for secret sauce is a non answer. We want facts! It looks exactly the same. The quality and bit-rate appears to be identical to me when I compare the RAW .TS files from Techmoan and my own.

lacrossetechnology 1 minute ago
Go ahead an purchase from Aliexpress, You need to compare apples with apples first, there is non that we have in Aliexpress or ebay.
Im sorry you feed bad that you might have purchased in inferior unit from Aliexpress, but thats the price you pay.
Oh by the way, our currency is in $NZ not $US, so get the conversion sorted first, price wise we are properly cheaper. don't know how you got $50.00?

JazJon 1 second ago
@lacrossetechnology
With GPS = $154.90 NZ = $122.12 USD
Shipping = $22.50 NZ = $17.74 USD
Total = $177.40 NZ
Total = $139.86 USD
AliExpress Giove Total = $96.80 USD (with MOV firmware)
$139.86 - $96.80 = $43.06
Ok I was off by $6.94

Really? That's no way to respond to a legitimate question.

[offtopic]Support EIS electronical Anti-shake
Support digital zoom: Up to 4x (Lower Resolution is Available.)[/offtopic]

These two "features" seem to be made up, judging from Techmoan's video.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back