Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

It would seem as long as I don't let the camera cut out when the battery goes flat this camera with 20130913 firmware seems okay, because twice now when the camera cut out due to a flat battery, I couldn't get it to come back to life until the battery was charged again, it just put the red charging LED on and that was it, even if I plugged in a 2amp power adapter it refuses to come to life... very strange. My major problem however is this UP button which seems to work sometimes and occasionally not at all.

Sadly it will have to be returned, as it's no good if the buttons dont work properly. Awaiting response from Amazon now., I just hope the buttons work okay on the second one when it gets here, though TBH I don't think anyone else has had any problem with buttons not working, just a bad one perhaps. Hopefully I can return it to Portsmouth and not China... now do I get a replacement or a different camera.. decisions..lol

It's a shame , as I really like this camera a lot, video quality and design wise anyway. I ordered 2 of them so I 'll still have the other one, I just hope it works okay when it arrives. (if it arrives...lol)

Last edited:
There should always be some free space, this is needed for file management, put a full card in and it should error straight away

That was my conclusion too, common sense really, but I am nearly 70 and commonsense seems to be getting rarer these days... lol

It takes a long press of the top button, then you have to scroll down a bunch, then select motion sensing then turn it on/off. Probably around 10+ button presses.

Sorry for jumping in here, but a google search pulled up a discussion about the motion sensor function. Since the unit also works on battery power albeit for only ten minutes, why wouldn't it be able to wake itself up when motion is detected? Mine is on a slow boat from China so all I can do at this point is mull over features that might be maybe could be with new updates. Anyway the worst thing that could happen is for ten minutes the camera takes video of a busy street and locks the files, and with 32 gig it might take a month or two to have the unit fill up and have to be reformatted. Oh the claim (seen elsewhere) motion detecting shouldn't be used while driving- is that something that is in the manual or was it just something that appears to be a logical conclusion? - not sure why that might be ... pretty sure it wouldn't cause an explosion. One bad result would be at a very very long light it shuts itself down, only to wake up when traffic starts moving.

I have reported a few times that mine seems to fail shortly after I boot up and it starts to record (more so in the mornings for some reason, and have noticed that its when I had taken the memory out the night before to copy to my PC). This morning I saw the reason why it's been stopping the recording, seconds into the recording, it's the dreaded "Storage Error" (or something like that). Press OK to start the recording and it's good to go again.

Hello everyone,

Got my mini 0801 (FW 20130905) from GIVOE the other day, it worked for about half an hour or so (daily commute..) and then the video just went black, no response from the camera, the menus are all sluggish, it records on power-up, as you hit the OK key to stop the recording it starts to save the file, takes about 5 min. and then it's just stuck.
Tried with a different SD card, downgraded the firmware to 20130903 same story.
contacted the seller but they're now on a Chinese holiday until October 8th.

After all of the warm recommendations such a flop... hope they'll resolve it soon.

Any ideas anyone?

is everyone okay with this card error issue?

I thought the whole point of having a dash cam was so that it would automatically start/end recording, without any user intervention.

If I have to look at it every single time I get into the car to verify that it was recording, it sort of defeats the purpose. :(

Which 0801 dash cams are getting this type of error? Which seller or manufacture are they coming from? I can't believe it's affecting *all* 0801 dash cams?

I didn't see any comments on the video, but I'm browsing using tapatalk on my phone, so that might have something, to do with it :)

It's that kind if information I was after - it is pointless paying £10 less to import if you get hit with customs!

I hadn't realised Joovuu was UK based; thought I read elsewhere that they were in Europe (so no customs issue) but I took that to mean mainland! So they would be my supplier of choice... Except with all the issues people are having, I'm going to hold off on the purchase until things are resolved one way or another!

I have ordered from there. Besides lack of updates on seller side (1 week late delivery due to stock issue) and couple missing accessories in the box, camera works fine but i didnt do any extensive tests as im away at the moment and didnt have time to set it up in my car yet.
Is it possible that my one records in stereo? pretty sure i could hear audio from both speakers on my laptop and it said stereo on file properties.Maybe i just checked wrong. Also what is the best way to check video bitrate in Mbps?
Firmware on my cam is 20130913
card that im using is Sandisk Ultra 32gb class 10 - no problems with it yet but i only have few minutes of video on it.

EDIT: Just to add that the one i have is with GPS

Windows will show you the bitrate used when you view the file properties, Mac I'm not sure how it's displayed but I'm sure it would be similar

Windows will show you the bitrate used when you view the file properties, Mac I'm not sure how it's displayed but I'm sure it would be similar
Forgot to say that i'm using Windows. Thanks

in Windows it shows the bitrate when you click on the file if you have a file view that gives the thumbnail preview

under file properties is it data rate or total bitrate? if it's total bitrate it shows 17002kbps
and under audio it shows 2 channels and it states "stereo"

17mbit, worth mentioning which firmware version you're on when comparing notes

with the audio have a listen and see if it's left channel only as everyone else has been reporting

sorry i thought i did mention on the last page. My firmware is 20130913

Last edited:
i have just connected my headphones in to my laptop and sound is coming from both headphones so it must be stereo right? or am i not checking it right?:)

perhaps you have a different hardware version, where did you buy it from?

I think you're on a newer firmware than many also, perhaps some difference there

perhaps you have a different hardware version, where did you buy it from?

I think you're on a newer firmware than many also, perhaps some difference there

I'm also using the same 20130913 firmware on this one from E-Prance but shipped from Portsmouth, UK, My test so far appear to show this version does not appear to suffer the issue that some have when re-cycling with a near full card on powering up. However on mine audio is still left channel only.

Last edited:
I have been reading this topic for days now but only just registered here as i recieved my cam. If it's any help i can upload raw clip somewhere so you can check whatever need to be checked :) or give any info that is needed. Just point me in the right direction.

I played the sample videos on my Sony Playstation3. It shows the bitrate in real time as the video plays. :) (only the *.TS files can be played, the *.MOV files had to be re-encoded first before the PS3 can play it)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back