Some videos play, some don't

rockcrawler

Reaction score
Country
United States
I apologize if this has already been addressed in another area. I have a A118C 1080P HD and am pleased with the video quality....when I can get it to play. I use a Sandisk Ultra 32GB card. I record in 5 minute segments. Some videos play and some don't. I usually use VLC media player but have tried WMP as well. I have attached examples of screenshots of details from one that plays and one that doesn't. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Thoughts?

Secondly, why do my settings revert back to default settings every time the device is powered up?
VLC error msg.jpg VLC General.jpg VLC Details.jpg

Are the videos that don't play always the last video of a trip? If that's the case it sounds like it may be the capacitor failing and not properly closing out the last file. That may also account for your settings reverting to default, especially if your camera doesn't have a separate RTC battery.

Are the videos that don't play always the last video of a trip? If that's the case it sounds like it may be the capacitor failing and not properly closing out the last file. That may also account for your settings reverting to default, especially if your camera doesn't have a separate RTC battery.

It does look like this may be the case but further down the list it seems not to be a problem anymore. The ones highlighted in yellow are the videos that play, the ones not highlighted would not play. I will test it out today and see what plays and what doesn't.

VLC pg 1.png VLC pg 2.png

It does look like this may be the case but further down the list it seems not to be a problem anymore. The ones highlighted in yellow are the videos that play, the ones not highlighted would not play. I will test it out today and see what plays and what doesn't.

View attachment 32399 View attachment 32402

After testing it some more, it is not playing the last file as you stated earlier. Is there a fix for this besides buying a new dash cam?

After testing it some more, it is not playing the last file as you stated earlier. Is there a fix for this besides buying a new dash cam?
If you're handy at such things you could try replacing the capacitor (I've not done it myself). It would involve opening the camera and a bit of soldering. Probably not economically viable if you have to pay someone to do it.

most likely faulty capacitors, you can replace them if you don't mind some DIY, other than that talk to the seller about warranty

If you're handy at such things you could try replacing the capacitor (I've not done it myself). It would involve opening the camera and a bit of soldering. Probably not economically viable if you have to pay someone to do it.
thanks for the info.

Back