Somebody changing a flat tire on the side of the road probably isn't happy

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
I couldn't see what was going on ahead, but could see some bright headlights where they wouldn't normally be, and moved over to the left lane.
This is a divided, 4 lane highway.
It was hard to tell WTF was going on, but you could see the headlights pretty far off.

Some of the traffic behind me continued to pass, but moved over to the left lane. Not all.

I'm not sure why the pickup turned around to face the wrong way on the shoulder of the road? Maybe the ground was too soft for the jack?

The White SUV passed shot through at 70 ,plus mph, followed by several other cars.
People do get killed this way. Pretty stupid way to die, and a stupid way to end up in jail or prison, or civil court, at the least.

I guess he turned his truck around to use the jack on a stable surface?

That's the point.
Letting other drivers know there is something.
Drivers don't plow into a vehicle when they notice it vs a car parked without any lights.

That's my best guess, although the ground isn't all that soft

I think I'd take my chances away from traffic, though.

It might be when the weight is concentrated in the small area of the jack base. He would've had to park much closer to the line if he wanted to keep the jack on pavement and the truck were facing the correct direction. Guess he chose what he thought to be the lesser of two evils.

KuoH

That's my best guess, although the ground isn't all that soft.

I've heard of people getting killed in these situations, but they tend to be at night. That's why I carry a small wide piece of timber in my car, situation like this.

Yes, cops, highway workers, and people changing tires all get run over.
On a US highway, you can usually find a discarded piece of wood, somewhere, also. :)
I don't trust the cars zipping by, or the people on the side of the road, either. About an hour before this vehicle, I saw a tractor trailer that was parked on the shoulder of highway, pull into the traffic lanes from a dead stop, scattering cars all over the place. 70 mph speed limit, most cars going 75 or more.
Too bad it was too far away to make sense on the dash cam video.

ten minutes after passing this pickup changing a tire, I started seeing shredded rubber on the road, and guessed I'd find a tractor trailer with a blown tire ahead. I was close, was an RV/Race car type hauler, with all 3 tires on the left side of the trailer gone.
Must have thrown up some nice sparks running on those rims.

trlr.JPG

You can't really see in this picture or in the video that there isn't any rubber left on those 3 wheels.

:)

He must have been heavy with old tyres, once one went, the other two couldn't take the weight, pays to change tyres every 6 years, even if plenty of tread left.

You don't even have to be heavy if the tires are old.

I sold a 12 foot enclosed trailer to somebody 200 miles away about ten years ago. The tires looked good, but self destructed ten miles into the trip, empty. The buyer was happy to see the trailer show up with brand new tires, though. I honestly didn't think they were a problem, or would have replaced them, anyway.

During bike week in Florida, the highway shoulders are full of broken down trailers, mostly from the 'north', tires blown, bearings shot, etc.
throw your bikes into the trailer during winter, cross your fingers and head south. Sometimes you make it. :)

Yesterday was pretty hot.

Here's one I saw near daytona a few years ago, (But not during bike week)

Here's one I saw near daytona a few years ago, (But not during bike week)

He had his hazard lights on, didn't even care about the road or the trailer apparently. Probably not his to begin with. The truck was already a rental.

Back