Something is not right........ 'Tis now!

Here's another set of clips of the same trip using firmware FWC3.bin 15/9/14, same config file, switch set to Loop.
HT000001.MOV is unreadable and was probably created when I flashed the September firmware.
The trip begins with L0000002.MOV and continues sequentially to L0000006.MOV when I stop, as before. When I started the car again, file HT00007.MOV is created but is unreadable and the next file to be created is L0000008.MOV which shows I had only moved a few metres since starting again.. The next file created, HT000009.MOV is unreadable and should have showed the trip up to the second stop. Re-starting the car again creates L0000010.MOV and continues with L0000011.MOV but the next file, HT0000012.MOV, which should have shown the last fifty metres of the trip, is also unreadable. Again, the radio was on but no sound was recorded.
Now it's time for cocoa and bed..

Attachments

• 100MEDIAsep.png
    100MEDIAsep.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 13
@parklawn, let's see your further input.

Here are some recent files. It appears that the problem is related to switching the power to the camera off. For example, file HT000050 is missing - that's when I arrive at a destination and turned off the power.

File HT000044 is completely unrecorded and displays a message that the file is not recognized by the player (VLC or Windows Media Player)

There's still lots of missing files and a combination of HT and L files. It would appear to be getting worse.

Log.png

Log.png Log2.png Log.png Log2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
when you switch off the power, are you doing that at the camera or you mean just turning the car off and when it loses power this happens?

I have one of those always on lighter sockets and the camera is plugged into a switched adapter. I never touch the camera, just flip the switch on the adapter.

Here are some recent files. It appears that the problem is related to switching the power to the camera off. For example, file HT000050 is missing - that's when I arrive at a destination and turned off the power.

File HT000044 is completely unrecorded and displays a message that the file is not recognized by the player (VLC or Windows Media Player)

There's still lots of missing files and a combination of HT and L files. It would appear to be getting worse.

Checked the screen shoot, I noticed HT files and L files created in different date, did you always keep loop recording or switch to One video recording that create HT file?

Wrong file name-002.png Wrong file name-001.png

I do agree with you that that issue happened relates to care power supply on/off and camera power off, as I kept camera recording since last night, it always keep L files.

All the above information have been collected, then I will review FW guys.

Thanks Rock. All the files were recorded in loop mode, and as you can see they are producing HT files. I will do some recording in One Video mode later today and see what files result.

Thanks Rock. All the files were recorded in loop mode, and as you can see they are producing HT files. I will do some recording in One Video mode later today and see what files result.

I took two cameras doing full test today, and got the same result as below,
We have review with FW guy for improvement, will keep updated.
HT file name created at loop mode, as you mentioned, it happens when power supply changed to camera.

Loop recording.png

I forgot to state that my C3 is the capacitor model with wide angle lens.

Here's a third trip the same as before with firmware FWC3.bin 1/9/14, same config, switch set to Loop, radio on.
The HT files are unreadable, like before.
Trip begins with L0000001.MOV and is sequential to L0000007.MOV when I was about to make the first stop (but why is L0000001.MOV not the full minute?). Unlike before, sound begins recording after 48 seconds of L0000003.MOV and continues. L0000007.MOV ends about 100 metres before the car stopped and was switched off. I assume this is the part which created HT000008.MOV.

After starting the car again, recording continues, still with sound, with L0000009.MOV and L0000010.MOV which ends, again, about 100 metres before stopping and switching off car. I assume this is the part which created HT000011.MOV.

After starting the car again, recording continues with L0000012.MOV, but with only a few scratchy sounds and a snippet of speech recorded until L0000013.MOV when normal sound recording resumes for the first eight seconds then nothing until the last six seconds and, again, file finishes about 100 metres before stopping the car finally and HT0000014.MOV gets recorded.

It seems that the last file on switch off is named HT and is being corrupted.

Attachments

• 100MEDIAsep1.png
    100MEDIAsep1.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 9
I've just done the same trip again with FWC.bin 10/12/14, same config, Loop on, radio on but disconnected from the car and instead connected to a power bank by the short cable (the manual ¨calls it ¨USB cable¨ under Accessories). Switching on and off the car was simulated by plugging in and unplugging the cable from the power bank. The cable remained plugged in to the C3 throughout.

All files are readable except HT0000001.MOV and sound is recorded from 33rd second of HT0000002.MOV and continues on all files but with the occasional silent passage which varies from two to thirty seconds and which occurs in various places, start, during, or end, but no sound recorded at all on HT0000013 and 14.MOV and L0000011 and 15.MOV. The ¨L¨ files are the ones at the time of unplugging the power bank.

It's curious that the file names are reversed using the power bank and short cable.

Over to you, Rock!..

Attachments

• PowerBank10dec14.png
    PowerBank10dec14.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 7
I've just done the same trip again with FWC.bin 10/12/14, same config, Loop on, radio on but disconnected from the car and instead connected to a power bank by the short cable (the manual ¨calls it ¨USB cable¨ under Accessories). Switching on and off the car was simulated by plugging in and unplugging the cable from the power bank. The cable remained plugged in to the C3 throughout.

All files are readable except HT0000001.MOV and sound is recorded from 33rd second of HT0000002.MOV and continues on all files but with the occasional silent passage which varies from two to thirty seconds and which occurs in various places, start, during, or end, but no sound recorded at all on HT0000013 and 14.MOV and L0000011 and 15.MOV. The ¨L¨ files are the ones at the time of unplugging the power bank.

It's curious that the file names are reversed using the power bank and short cable.

Over to you, Rock!..

Thanks for further input, with today's study, we are clear on the issue, and now pass all information to FW guys for improvement.

I am happy with you together to review, discuss the issues and share the experience, that helps a lot for improvement.

Rock

I have been testing my c3 as dash-cam for bit more than a week. As others, I also have issues with H and L files.
However, I have a bigger issues with the camera auto-recording. The camera correctly boots and starts recording only half of the times the car is started. When this does not happen, the camera shows the orange light for several seconds and then switches off. So far, I could not find any pattern for this behaviour.

Here is a link to a video showing one incorrect camera booting:
https://db.tt/Lpw7Mr6A

I have a c3 with capacitor and wide angle lens. These days, the initial temperature of the camera can be down to -2°C.
Has anybody else experienced this behaviour or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks.

I have been testing my c3 as dash-cam for bit more than a week. As others, I also have issues with H and L files.
However, I have a bigger issues with the camera auto-recording. The camera correctly boots and starts recording only half of the times the car is started. When this does not happen, the camera shows the orange light for several seconds and then switches off. So far, I could not find any pattern for this behaviour.

I have a c3 with capacitor and wide angle lens. These days, the initial temperature of the camera can be down to -2°C.

Thanks.

I would tape the micro usb to C3 body and try again.
have you also tried with different cable?

Thanks.

Once noticed this issue, I have taken capacitor version C3 to testing till now.

1. Take a phone charger which has output 5v, then connect to camera by long dashcam cable to wall plug,
2. Once connected, Led first few second flash orange color, then blink red color for recording,
3. With led red color blinking for few minutes, camera is working well.
4. Unplug USB cable, Red LED blink few seconds the stop, that is to see how camera doing when you stop car
5. Keep plug USB recording few minutes, that is to see how camera work when you start car
6. Keep plug & unplug USB cable for few cycles,
6. Check the files, as mentioned there are HT files name, but all videos are OK.

So for your case,
1. Please try the attached FW, which I planned to release later with other issues solved, you can have try first, it do improvement on delay power off for capacitor version and others, nothing with file name.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwd19p4qhvshti9/20150106.rar?dl=0

2. Please check the connection between HDMI port with lens cable, Dashcam cable with recording unit, Dashcam cable with car.
3. Please check the SD card quality, that is very very important.
4. Please be sure the power out put from car to see there is no big variation.

Let's keep discussion, and I will keep testing the camera.

I had this occur ten days ago when the temp. was around 0°C and the engine didn't start on first try. Turned the key again and it started. As in your case, nothing was recorded on that trip. This non-starting on first try happened again the following morning but on the second try, I noticed that the C3 hadn't completely shut down from the first try and no led was on. I switched off the engine, waited a minute or so, tried again and, voila! the C3 came on and stayed on. I have also noticed on my car that if I turn the key in the ignition slowly, power is lost between the ACC position and start position and the C3 goes off, so I make sure that I turn the key in one fluid movement to start the engine and if it doesn't start I wait 20 seconds or so (which is supposed to be better for the car battery, anyway).

does your car cut power to accessories when cranking?
It does. :(
I can see the light of the usb charger switching off when starting up the engine. I guess the problem is there, because when it starts correctly or when it is re-switched on manually everything works well.

Rock, I'll try the new firmware asap. Thanks.

Back