Stopped recording?

I know it's been said a whole lot, but seriously the customer service is just outstanding. Major kudos to @jokiin and @Street Guardian USA. I honestly can't think of any other brand that is anywhere near as responsive as they are. Thanks guys!

A new SGGCX2PRO+ is on the way

I still have the card but I ran the hardware test on it, which wrote files and filled up the card so anything that might have been there is toast, I think. The camera itself has only recorded a couple of files since then. Hopefully the other guy will just come clean, he initially admitted fault but then decided to lie when he realized his own insurance wouldn't fix his car.

I hate to sound contrite, but sometimes it's better to wait and ask, than to assume and do. Chances are if you hadn't overwrote the card, some of the video would be recoverable, possibly the parts you required. Word to the wise in the future, if you ever have data overwritten by mistake, immediately stop using that device. The more writes that happen, the lesser your chances of recovery. Especially writing zeros or overwriting the card entirely. Sigh! Yes, chances are practically now.

Live and learn.

no, the GPS is external

So if OP doesn't have the external GPS or GPS connected, then each time the camera powered on, it would start at 00:00 or whatever the default time the device begins at when first powered on.

Back to the original each time its started, it'll begin overwriting files entirely, unless the GPS module is connected to acquire the actual time.

Yeah if the RTC battery did not work.
If they work you still need to drive every week or two to keep that little cell charged too.
Quite a few cameras you will often see a sync to phone time in the APP for those, very convenient if there are no GPS.

So my RTC battery is also not happy recently it seems in SG9665GC V1. What is the part number or specs of this battery? I'd like to replace mine. This issue seems to be coming up a LOT on this forum for these cameras and the specs / and even procedure for replacement should be made public by the manufacturer as a result.

I think ATM there is nothing to do but open it up and look for yourself, i dont have any of my GC cameras ( V1 and V3 ) as they are in my friends car / house, so i cant crack one for you to tell.
You are much better off buying a new camera, the GC is pretty ancient hardware and not least on low light performance will new cameras be a lot better.

I will open it myself, but why has no one else done this yet and posted the answer, or why has the maker not answered this question when asked before?
The camera is fine for me otherwise, I'd rather fix it. Everything else on it is working like it was when purchased.

It is not very often these RTC batteries go sour in a cameras lifetime, my GC V1 still work,,,,, i assume that is, my friend have the V3 installed and the V1 as a backup.
The only problems i have had with SG cameras is one case of a DOA GPS antenna ( also rare ) and then now testing the SG9663DR i am the only guy in the world suddenly not able to connect to it using wifi, for reasons nor me or the SG boss can figure out, we have thrown all of our dashcam knowledge at this.

The boss could probably also tell about the RTC battery, but he have been out for weeks now after surgery, and i am not sure any of the retailers of SG products would know off the top of their head.

I am also sure that most people do not have the DIY skills / tools or the will to undertake a RTC swap, the buy and then throw away mania is pretty prevalent in the western world at least.
But for sure worth a word of respect for the people that do things in the old ways. ( he say sitting here watching the 1972 classic Godfather on the computer )

Last edited:
It seems to be a failure in the camera charging circuit. The maximum voltage that it tries to charge with is 3.0V and max it can actually achieve is 2.96V with battery attached. (no that is not enough for a RECHARGEABLE Li Ion) Additionally I am not sure if the battery installed is even rechargeable... might be a regular lithium button cell but hard to say.

Last edited:
@bn880
I have a couple of new old stock SG9665GC V1 spares left on the shelf here if you want a replacement for the cost of shipping alone. You’re in Canada and it would be shipped from the USA though. Private message either myself or I can help make arrangements with @Street Guardian Canada (Sam in Canada) to coordinate.

@bn880
I have a couple of new old stock SG9665GC V1 spares left on the shelf here if you want a replacement for the cost of shipping alone. You’re in Canada and it would be shipped from the USA though. Private message either myself or I can help make arrangements with @Street Guardian Canada (Sam in Canada) to coordinate.
PM sent yesterday.

Just wanted to thank Street Guardian USA , the camera arrived, has a good battery and records well. :)
This is beyond what anyone can/should expect for support.

(also for any others, yes it is a rechargeable lithium ion cell that ages/fails after several years)

Edit: Sadly this battery also failed after about 6 months. Replaced it with a new one.

Last edited:
no, if it's overwriting due to a date reset problem no camera will alert you to that, as mentioned it's always wise to check what's going on to make sure things are working as they should, that goes for any camera
Too bad some Street Guardian cams then only keep 1 file in this situation, constantly over writing the one recorded a minute ago.

Back