Strange Glitch Causing DashCam Footage to Distort

Ruby Grace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whenever I review the footage captured by my DashCam, I've noticed some really strange distortions happening randomly throughout the video. It's not just a minor glitch or pixelation – the entire image seems to warp and stretch at times, making it nearly impossible to make out what's happening. It's like watching a scene from a sci-fi movie where reality starts bending!

I've tried formatting the SD card, resetting the DashCam settings, and even updating the firmware to the latest version, but nothing seems to be helping. The distortion doesn't happen consistently – it's quite sporadic, which makes it even harder to troubleshoot. I've checked the physical connections, and everything seems to be fine there.

Is the dashcam firmly mounted?

I think we need to see some video and know what sort of camera it is before we can help, upload a clip to Youtube and link it into a post here...

It might be camera jello effect, that is caused by excessive vibrations.
you can see it in the start of this video.

Now due to the modest bitrate dashcams have, in places where there are A LOT to resolve, the camera will cave in and start to do blocking in some areas, making it look a little like the graphics in the Minecraft game.
That is also pretty normal to see driving into a wooded ares ASO, get even worse if light filter thru like say trees in winter when they co not have leaves on them.

Now of course it should not go completely LEGO like, and for sure not in a wide open place, or with buildings lining the street.

Whenever I review the footage captured by my DashCam, I've noticed some really strange distortions happening randomly throughout the video.
Definitely need to see an example, otherwise people would just be guessing with nothing to go on.

excessive vibrations
Maybe OP has a suction cup cam with bass in the trunk.
If you can identify the song causing this vibration, I salute you. lol
Hint 1990.

Maybe OP has a suction cup cam with bass in the trunk.
If you can identify the song causing this vibration, I salute you. lol
Hint 1990.
Looks like it is using the car's hydraulic suspension as a sub-sub-woofer :ROFLMAO:

Yes dashcams and big bass do not go well together.
In the 90ties i had 3 X 12 " subs in my little 3 door mildly hot German hatchback, each fed 500 Watts

Looking forward to a sample. You can upload for free on YouTube.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to reply and for sharing your insights. I'm definitely going to give your suggestions a shot and experiment with the blend weights and timings as you mentioned. It's reassuring to know that there are ways to fine-tune these settings to achieve smoother transitions between animations.

Back