street guardian adhesives don't hold

Any 'licenced supplier' factory can have something go wrong, nobody's production runs are 100% perfect 7/365 doesn't matter how big a company is. The most important thing is advanced comparison testing has been done to confirm it's right now.

Last edited:
the tape we were supplied has had some issue, the same tape has been used in multiple camera production runs, we got the tape at one time in a single delivery, I have no idea if the tape was all produced at the same time or not, but we have had cameras from the same production runs that have had tape issues, and others that are just fine

It's interesting that you keep selecting parts of my posts but you keep editing out any references to the "counterfeit" question. Instead you keep using the ambiguous term "production". Both you and Jon are now referring to "a different agent and the test results do show a difference" and "advanced testing". Well, that certainly sounds obfuscatory enough but it also does sounds like gobbledygook. So, the testing seems to have confirmed that the tape is bad in a way 3M Corporation has not been known for. Ric, look, if you ended up with a lot of bogus 3M tape, it's not your fault, but if that's what happened why not actually own up to it? We know you'll straighten it all out. It's not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

if you ended up with a lot of bogus 3M tape, it's not your fault, but if that's what happened why not actually own up to it?

I don't know if that's the case or not, we buy from a 3M licensed supplier, have they shafted us, has the product been contaminated during production, has there been some other type of failure, there's nothing to 'own up to' when I don't know what the correct answer is so I'm not going to speculate either way, the tape supplied to us is inconsistent, we went to another licensed 3M supplier and got tape from them for comparison tests and it showed superior results

What I do know is that we've had issue with the tape, for anyone that is affected we do everything we can to put it right for them as quickly as we can, that's our priority

I don't know if that's the case or not, we buy from a 3M licensed supplier, have they shafted us, has the product been contaminated during production, has there been some other type of failure, there's nothing to 'own up to' when I don't know what the correct answer is so I'm not going to speculate either way, the tape supplied to us is inconsistent, we went to another licensed 3M supplier and got tape from them for comparison tests and it showed superior results

What I do know is that we've had issue with the tape, for anyone that is affected we do everything we can to put it right for them as quickly as we can, that's our priority

Inconsistent? After more than a year? Knowing 3M Corporation's exacting standards that means counterfeit. In China no less? What a surprise! Like I said. we know you'll work it out but the way you spin this and other common issues with your cams becomes more and more amusing as time goes by. Other than that your integrity and devotion to customer service has never been in question.

Just want to throw out there. I have a v2 camera that has been in my car for about 1.5 years now and on original tape. Have no issues. Took a road trip to California this summer in +40 degrees Celsius (in land) with no issues. But as a precaution I did follow the instructions : clean windshield, stick the mount, and then let the adhesive settle for 24 hours before actually mounting the cam to it.

Just want to throw out there. I have a v2 camera that has been in my car for about 1.5 years now and on original tape. Have no issues. Took a road trip to California this summer in +40 degrees Celsius (in land) with no issues. But as a precaution I did follow the instructions : clean windshield, stick the mount, and then let the adhesive settle for 24 hours before actually mounting the cam to it.

Thanks for sharing. This issue definitely doesn't apply to the entire V1, V2, V3 3M batch out there. Where/When it went wrong is hard to pin point. We're just glad it shouldn't be an issue moving forward into 2018.

I had a GC in my old car for at least over a year and a half without an issue with the mount.

Same here too. An old V1 moved to another car (thus two adhesives used) and a V3. It's not Australia or New Mexico here but still we had over 30C for a week and the car was parked facing south for hours.
No picture problem (yet), no adhesive problem (yet).
And Niko had to send another GPS because it was impossible to remove when changing cars. Using the supplied wire it woudn't let go, and finally the casing broke.

I didn't follow instructions.
Barely cleaned the glass with the supplied clothing, then stuck mount and cam immediately.
Do I look like I would hold my hand up for two minutes pressing an adhesive? And not trying my expensive new cam immediately?
Not a chance. I'm much too old to learn discipline now. Army years are far away.

Only those who do not try do not fail at least occasionally ;) I for one would not have any idea on how to identify counterfeit or substandard tape as that might give little or no clue to go on until failures appear :eek: Although it has taken time to get to the bottom of the matter I don't see how Jokin could have done much better than he has (y) Most manufacturers would have likely ignored the issue and placed the blame on the users as a way to save headaches and money, but instead Jokin and SG has been giving away replacement tape to whoever has asked even for cams long out of warranty. He used an approved supplier. He stayed with the problem until the issue was solved which we all hope has now occurred. How could have anyone done any more than this?

I think it's time to stop pouncing on Jokin and SG over this because he got shafted too and he is doing more than anyone else would to make things right :cool:

Phil

My SGV3 has come off again. The first pad came off the glass, so I cleaned the glass and used the spare double sided tape and left it for 3 days without the camera. Now the spare pad has remained on the glass and come off the plastic mount. Its been on for about 3 weeks and had the red plastic on the tape. I'm going to use some bear tape for now but I'd appreciate a couple of new tapes if you wouldn't mind just in case. Thanks.

My SGV3 has come off again. The first pad came off the glass, so I cleaned the glass and used the spare double sided tape and left it for 3 days without the camera. Now the spare pad has remained on the glass and come off the plastic mount. Its been on for about 3 weeks and had the red plastic on the tape. I'm going to use some bear tape for now but I'd appreciate a couple of new tapes if you wouldn't mind just in case. Thanks.

message me your details and I'll get you some new tape in the mail today

I have the same issue right now. The tape of the cam is beginning to fall down within one week!? I have a roll of double-sided 3M but they have the same issue.

The spoiler mounting outside my car using 3M sticks as hell but the one inside sucks

This is so weird for 3M products. o_O

What vehicle? The windshield must be nearly vertical for the lens to hit with the thicker plate.
My car is 08 Accord and I have to combine 2 mountings for more clearance to mount the cam. Either one leaves the cam's CPL or wires touching the windshield before it can be mounted

Last edited:
Unfortunately, 27C in the shade on the Gold Coast this week. The mounts failing in the heat. (unsticks from the plastic side, NOT the glass side.)

It's about the third time in less than a year. I wish the darn thing would just stay stuck on the screen.

Anyway; first world problems. Rick sent me a few stickers a few months back, I'll use a new one on it. (might be a good time to upgrade to V5 firmware while I'm at it.

Message me your details if you need more adhesive tape, you may still have the wrong tape depending on how long ago that was

a licensed supplier or a licensed manufacturer? anybody can be licensed by 3m to sell the tape and have old stock. can't believe there is multiple companies actually making 3m adhesives for a limited use product. but anyway i think part of the issue is the tape isn't thick enough to compensate for the slight curves in the windshields to get a complete seal as shown by the center of the tape mount not attaching. the thicker mount wouldn't make any difference. pushing it hard for a minute may get the seal temporarily but due to shape of glass is not going to let it hold long and eventually let go. the mount is not flexible enough to maintain shape of glass. mine is holding for now but we're not getting the extreme heat this time of year

I have the same issue right now. The tape of the cam is beginning to fall down within one week!? I have a roll of double-sided 3M but they have the same issue.

The spoiler mounting outside my car using 3M sticks as hell but the one inside sucks

This is so weird for 3M products. o_O

You have to ensure that the the glass is super clean before attaching the tape. The inside of widshields can build up a tenacious residue from due to all the off gassing products from plastic parts. Also, silicone based dash "cleaners" are notorious for leaving residues that are difficult to remove.

Try using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser followed by Stoner's Invisible Glass + microfiber cloth. Let the glass dry completely before re-taping (hair dryer may help).

If the adhesive is falling off the plastic mounting plate, clean off the residues from the previous tape with some suitable solvent. Flame treating the surface may also help:
https://theepoxyexperts.com/flame-treatment-plastic-substrates-adhesive-bonding/
https://theepoxyexperts.com/flame-treatment-plastic-substrates-adhesive-bonding/
Best luck.

Back