street guardian adhesives don't hold

hank2018

Reaction score
Country
United States
SG9665GC v3
adhesive pads don't hold up in heat. first fell off glass then another pad fell off plastic mount a month later. then a month later the face plate on the camera front fell off due to adhesive failure.
other issues lens housing hits windshield if adjusting too far up or down due to mounting is too close to glass

I'm sorry to have to report this but just yesterday I noticed that the latest replacement VHB tape I've installed on my GC is beginning to fail once again! The camera was rock solid on the windshield but yesterday evening when I went to remove the memory card I noticed that it is now "wobbly". The recent tape that @Street Guardian USA sent me is no better than the previous "batch(s)". I've lost count of how many times I've had to deal with this at this point but the problem tape dates back to well over a year ago. I believe I've replaced the tape about four times now. Clearly there is some other issue going on beyond a "bad batch".

The usual problem with genuine 3M VHB tape is how difficult it is to remove. Never have I had it fail like this after many years of using the stuff. At this point I'm beginning to wonder if there is some chemical anomaly in the plastic mounting plate that is causing the loss of adhesion over time. The stuff is sticking to the glass well.

Last edited:
Rick hammered the adhesive factory recently and he thinks he finally found a better product to use moving forward. Should know more soon. It should be ready just in time for next generation products shipping soon. (And extra for previous) It’s been very frustrating for sure but we haven’t given up.

Welcome to DCT.

It's a known issue with some cameras (bad batch of tape from supplier). See this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/3m-tape-came-off-from-the-plastic-side.28631/

I'm sure @jokiin or @Street Guardian USA will chime in shortly and resolve the issue for you (they're both likely sleeping at the moment since one's in Australia and the other in Nevada).

Regarding the lens hitting the glass, just use the thicker mounting plate - that's what it's for.
that was the first mount i used. thx

customer service jumped on it almost immediately and offered a solution for all issues. i know of no other company that responds as fast. even with the minor issues i would still recommend street guardian

Nope, even less vertical, more flattened, windshields have had this issue. Peugeot 308 for instance.

customer service jumped on it almost immediately and offered a solution for all issues. i know of no other company that responds as fast. even with the minor issues i would still recommend street guardian

appreciate your patience, I do believe we got to the bottom of the problem tape issue, next production of all models will be using a different tape and we have ordered a lot of extra so we have it to send out to anyone that has a problem with tape now, frustrating for everyone concerned but just one of those things you don't find out about until after the fact unfortunately

appreciate your patience, I do believe we got to the bottom of the problem tape issue, next production of all models will be using a different tape and we have ordered a lot of extra so we have it to send out to anyone that has a problem with tape now, frustrating for everyone concerned but just one of those things you don't find out about until after the fact unfortunately

Can you possibly provide us with the 3M VHB product number designations for the old tape were using and the new stuff? It would be interesting to visit the 3M web site and look up the specs. 3M is especially good about providing all kinds of information about their adhesive products and inquiring geeks want to know! :)

My V1 9665GC that now is in my friends car promptly let go of the mount, or rather after some days ( i think the pad used was one from the V3 camera )
Anyway my friend changed to some of his own dual sided tape ( dont thing its 3M ) and the damn thing stay in place now.
The V3 in my car have not let go, but then again the summer this year have been pretty lackluster when it come to high temperatures.

But i am not worried i found a solution that's somehow "extreme" but it have been working on that Lukas camera for 2-3 years now.

In regard to product quality, i enjoy some spreadable cheese, but it is clear that the factory lost all control over viscosity on the stuff, some times it is barely spreadable, and other times its damn near water compared to the stiff version.
Sadly there is no alternative so i just have to make do with the somewhat changing viscosity of the product, but its funny this only been so for the past 3 years or so, so i asked the company if they laid off the one guy that gave a damn and was good at his job, but i got no answer on that :D

OK, thanks, but I thought that was the old tape. What's the new tape product number?

it's still 5952, we changed the supplier though, the previous one got something wrong during production, not risking dealing with them again so have gone through a different agent and the test results do show a difference

it's still 5952, we changed the supplier though, the previous one got something wrong during production, not risking dealing with them again so have gone through a different agent and the test results do show a difference

During production!? This is the 3M Corporation you're talking about! Sounds like you've been getting a counterfeit product or maybe you're not telling us something. 3M Corporation would NEVER allow a defective product to be sold on the market place like this for well over a year or more.

the tape is bought well in advance, the same tape from a single order can end up being used across multiple production runs of the camera

You said, "the previous one got 'something wrong' during production", regardless of multiple "production" runs. Either it's real 3M VHB tape or it isn't. I suggested that you've been supplied with counterfeit 3M VHB all this time, hence the problems. Maybe you're being evasive about my questions? Real 3M VHB tape doesn't fail like this.

You said, "the previous one got 'something wrong' during production", regardless of multiple "production" runs.

the tape we were supplied has had some issue, the same tape has been used in multiple camera production runs, we got the tape at one time in a single delivery, I have no idea if the tape was all produced at the same time or not, but we have had cameras from the same production runs that have had tape issues, and others that are just fine

Back