Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 Dashcam - Review + Install

Will agree or disagree once I've seen what the A119s is able to deliver. Won't have to wait too long, I'm guessing.

The OV4689 is brilliant during the day. Waiting to see what Viofo brings with the IMX322 bearing A119s.

Will agree or disagree once I've seen what the A119s is able to deliver. Won't have to wait too long, I'm guessing.

The OV4689 is brilliant during the day. Waiting to see what Viofo brings with the IMX322 bearing A119s.
I was talking about the A119, not even the A119S.

I'm pretty new to the dashcam scene, so may still have to learn what exactly to look for.

But when I look at the video's and pictures in Sunny's review, then definitely what the Guardian delivers isn't worth 3 times the money.

Night footage ( clear view after a brief shower clearing the pollution and haze)

SG9665GC vs Mobius - Night

Mobius with C2 lens - Settings - 1080p, 30fps, WDR - on, FOV - wide.

SG9665GC - 1080p 30fps, WDR - on, Metering - centre.

Night - Mild fog.

Beta 27, 1080p @ 30 FPS, WDR - on, Metering - centre, Contrast - medium.

I was talking about the A119, not even the A119S.

I'm pretty new to the dashcam scene, so may still have to learn what exactly to look for.

But when I look at the video's and pictures in Sunny's review, then definitely what the Guardian delivers isn't worth 3 times the money.
Correction, its 2x's the price not 3x's and I totally disagree with you saying its not worth it. It may even be less than 2x's the price because Street Guardian includes a memory card. Plus the comfort of having almost 24 hrs support with the SG is unheard of with any other manufacturer. When you have an SG inquiry you do not have to leave an e-mail with a response within 48 hrs. You just come on this site and usually one of the Street Guardian crew is here to always help you. And if they are not here on the site you just do this @jokiin You will get a reply to help you within a couple hours. The SG9665GC is a first class DVR as I own one and I also own a different brand and the SG is much better with the quality of day or night performance.

Pictures from dashcam footage can be misleading and watching raw footage is the only way to correctly see real performance.

It's much easier to get good performance in the daytime and lots of cameras work well then, it's when you're driving at night on dark roads that the better cameras show their strengths.

What works well for one though at not work for another - the Street Guardian range are all safe options - I run the SG9665GC v1 and A119 next to each other and am happy with both.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The two screen shoots in this post are very similar to my experience with imagery appearing much too dark for the lighting conditions, even when much of the sky is obscured by trees. I hope the next beta can finally address this problem.

It definitely was brighter from what I remember, I know pointing the lens a little lower may help a bit, but the amount of dash showing is the lowest I'm willing to go. Looking forward to see what the next Beta brings.

It definitely was brighter from what I remember, I know pointing the lens a little lower may help a bit, but the amount of dash showing is the lowest I'm willing to go. Looking forward to see what the next Beta brings.

There are trees covering three quarters or more of the sky in your images, so I don't think tilting the lens downwards further would really make that much of a difference in this case.

There are trees covering three quarters or more of the sky in your images, so I don't think tilting the lens downwards further would really make that much of a difference in this case.

I'm curious now, will try replicating the scene and give it a shot, just for experiment sake.

Edit:

Just noticed and remembered, the screen shots are from a little before the videos and the lens was set a notch higher. Had adjusted it a bit after putting the CPL back on. In spite of the lens being clicked into the lowest position that I'm willing to go, will try adjusting it and bit lower and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Fantastic description for a newbie like me. I am still deciding on what dashcam to buy. I wonder, how I didn't see this thread till today. Thank you @harsh.

I am prepared to spend 10-15k for dash cam, but this SG is probably much costly. Still, what would be your advice for me? I was somehow considering Vantrue N1 after watching its video review last year. I don't have much faith in Chinese cheap dashcams. Can you suggest a few to choose from? I am also thinking of SJCAM.

Ravi

Fantastic description for a newbie like me. I am still deciding on what dashcam to buy. I wonder, how I didn't see this thread till today. Thank you @harsh.

I am prepared to spend 10-15k for dash cam,

10-15k?
In what currency?

I am prepared to spend 10-15k for dash cam, but this SG is probably much costly. Still, what would be your advice for me? I was somehow considering Vantrue N1 after watching its video review last year. I don't have much faith in Chinese cheap dashcams. Can you suggest a few to choose from? I am also thinking of SJCAM.

Ravi

The GC will work out to a bit more than 15k due to the shipping charges and duty from the US. The only way to keep the cost down is if someone carries it back to India for you.

As a member of DCT, probably @Street Guardian USA could offset some of the shipping & duty by offering you a better deal. That's if you're interested in the GC.

Can't see which city or state you're in but keeping in mind the climate here, instead of going for an action camera or battery powered dash camera, my suggestion would be to get a capacitor powered dash cam for in-car use.

I personally like the wedge shaped ones as they are a lot more discreet than anything else available (barring screen less cameras like the Mobius). Luckily a few of the wedge shaped offerings are actually the ones with the best video quality and reliability.

Last edited:
Thank you again @harsh. I live in Indore, MP where temperatures range in the middle (Madhya!). I agree that I should go for a capacitor based camera. I also want to have the parking mode, if possible. What is your opinion about Vantrue N1. I was impressed by its build quality (as described in a review). But GC (Street Guardian) always looked the best option (for everyone) to me, only much costlier!.

I shall now look for deals on GC. How can I get to contact @Street Guardian? If you come across any, please let me know. Also tell me which memory card do you use, as I have seen various issues discussed in threads on this forums.

Thanx once again.

Back