Stuck on Storage/PC Camera screen

Muruloki

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

just got my cam from GearBest. This may be a completely dumb question, but it looks like whenever I power it on i can see live video on camera screen for a split second and then I'm presented with 2 choices - Storage or PC Camera. And both don't work.

First, i connected it to my usb3 port. It powered on and showed these 2 options. I selected PC Camera, camera screen turned solid blue with PC Camera text in the middle. Nothing happened after that, my computer didn't see any additional camera devices.

Next, i powered it off and on and selected Storage. Same blue screen with Storage written on it, computer doesn't see any additional drives.

Tried the same with usb2 port. Same.

Tried with just usb charger, so no connection to PC. Same 2 choices which don't make sense in this case.

Finally, got outside and tried inside my car. Again, same 2 choices which really don't make sense since I'm inside the car.

Is it completely broken or I'm missing something really obvious? This is my first dashcam ever.

Thanks!

That definitely doesn't sound right. In the car are you plugging into a usb charger in the cigarette lighter socket / the A118 supplied USB to cigarette lighter cable, or a built in USB port?

If it's built in its possible the data wires are connected for media playback in the car?

Do you have any power / charge only USB cables?

It's normal to see the options when you connect to a PC, but not to the wall charger or using the supplied 12v cable

[QUOTE="

It's normal to see the options when you connect to a PC, but not to the wall charger or using the supplied 12v cable[/QUOTE]

I assume @Muruloki plugs into PC ?

Yes, in the car I used provided car charger and plugged it into the usual cigarette socket.

Looks like it's screwed..

Have you reset it?

You mean pressing on the reset button? Yes, multiple times. Is there something like hard reset where i have to hold the button like 10 seconds? I was just briefly pressing on reset button and it was immediately rebooting.

reset defaults in the menu as well

which firmware version are you on?

How can I do that? The moment camera boots up I'm stuck in that selection screen menu - storage or PC cam. Then the only action available to me is to select one of these options and after that all I can see is blue screen. I can't do anything else other than that.

how about if you just turn it on, running on battery, what then?

Heh, I knew I was missing something obvious. Completely forgot that it may have built-in battery. Ok, so when I turn it on without it being connected to anything it works fine I think. Was able to record a short clip, take a photo.

Checked the firmware version is b40.20140814.001

The moment I connect it to my computer I get my favourite menu with 2 choices.

You think it's something that can be fixed with firmware update?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

when you connect it to the computer it's doing exactly what it's meant to do

Nope, since my computers (both windows 7 and windows 8.1) don't see neither camera nor storage. Also, it does the same when connected to car cigarette lighter adapter which doesn't make any sense. Basically the moment I turn on the car camera becomes useless.

When connected to the computer those two options are the correct response

What happens when you select either of them?

When connected to the computer those two options are the correct response

What happens when you select either of them?

As mentioned earlier, nothing. Computer doesn't see any camera connected nor any new storage. All I see is blue screen on the camera with white text of the selected option.

I don't really care about that tho cause i can always take out the sd card. This menu screen with 2 options appears NO MATTER what cable i attach to the camera. Even in the car, using car adapter, the moment I turn the engine on camera wakes up and displays 2 options screen. Basically makes camera useless.

Might be a long shot you using win 7 & 8.1 but in device manager are you getting any usb or portable devce errors/yellow trlangles. If so try deleting the device and scan for new hardware could be a simple driver problem.
Long shot but wirth a try.

Might be a long shot you using win 7 & 8.1 but in device manager are you getting any usb or portable devce errors/yellow trlangles. If so try deleting the device and scan for new hardware could be a simple driver problem.
Long shot but wirth a try.

Yep, Device Manager was the 2nd thing I checked after My Computer :) Nothing there, scanned for new hardware as well.

Contacted GearBest, they offered exchange/refund or try to fix it locally and they will pay part of the fee.

I finally found a thread that reminded me that computer USB do not deliver enough to run these cameras. You will need to get a wall plug kind. I am using a standard one, 5 volts, 550 ma, and it finally turned this little bugger on! Good luck! In your car, you should check the voltage you are getting. My guess is that you have a disconnect somewhere and are not "hot" at the cigarette lighter.

Back