Sunlight cover for mobius and 64GB Samsung SDXC

2centsworth

Reaction score
Country
United States
MY Mobius was 145-150F today in direct silicon valley sunlight on the plastic (80F today) so I fabbed a cover from aluminum flashing and it reduced camera plastic body temps in glaring sun up to 20 degrees+......prolly needs a fan.

how to screen capture

upload pictures free

Using a Samsung 64GB micro SDXC UHS-I 90MB/sec card (class 10) and it didn't loop but froze and required reset when card filled up full. No lights or anything. Hit reset. FW 1.20 it came with I used sdformatter 4 this time and recommended settings (overwrite) and testing again see if it loops.....worked fine with 16GB Samsung.

Using a Samsung 64GB micro SDXC UHS-I 90MB/sec card (class 10) and it didn't loop but froze and required reset when card filled up full. No lights or anything. Hit reset. FW 1.20 it came with I used sdformatter 4 this time and recommended settings (overwrite) and testing again see if it loops.....worked fine with 16GB Samsung.
Use firmware v2.18 and format your card with FAT32 and you shouldn't have any problems when the card is full and loop recording is enabled. I have tested v2.18 for over 2400 hours with different 64GB cards and have had zero problems. FW v1.20 usually failed after 50-100 hours on most cards. Don't use exFAT with loop recording. No other firmware is so card-friendly as v2.18.

Avoid any Sandisk cards like the plague - so far I have had four Sandisks fail on me for no reason whatsoever. They are not reliable for long recordings.

Using FW 1.20 it came with and following the instructions here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-64gb-overwrite-when-full.4579/page-3 and SDFormatter 4 set (Full (Overwrite) and Format Size Adjustment ON) and it now loops successfully. More testing to be done still.

your comment fw 1.20 usually fail after 50-100 hours is bit of concern, but for now it loops using 64GB Samsung micro SDXC UHS-I class10 model:MB-MG64D (read 90MB/sec write 80MB/sec).....and reads out at about 13 MB/sec copying files from my Mobius which is faster than the previous Samsung class 10 at 3 MB/sec copy speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Use firmware v2.18 and format your card with FAT32 and you shouldn't have any problems when the card is full and loop recording is enabled. I have tested v2.18 for over 2400 hours with different 64GB cards and have had zero problems. FW v1.20 usually failed after 50-100 hours on most cards. Don't use exFAT with loop recording. No other firmware is so card-friendly as v2.18.

Does this mean when certain dash cams come with instruction books that say to format the sd card often there is most likely a problem with the firmware in that dash cam?

Does this mean when certain dash cams come with instruction books that say to format the sd card often there is most likely a problem with the firmware in that dash cam?
No, with loop recording and files being constantly written and over written, it's a good idea to format the card and clean things up at least a couple of times a year.

anytime you have the card out to look at any recordings it's sensible to format the card afterward

if you use a Mac you definitely want to do this as they can leave some hidden system files on the card that many cameras will trip up on when recycling

No, with loop recording and files being constantly written and over written, it's a good idea to format the card and clean things up at least a couple of times a year.
For the same reason it is a good idea to format the hard drive on your computer and reinstall the operating system a couple of times a year.

Of course few people do and their computers still work perfectly well, just not quite as fast. If the disk is getting corrupted then there is a fault somewhere.

Painting the top of that shield white would help, I can see why you would want the sides in heat absorbing black though.

Follow up: 5+ months continuous looping on the Samsung 64GB microSD and firmware listed above, I am up to recording number 3500+ looped and so far no problems loop recording I can see. Will report back but seems rock solid so far and been running the Lion battery entire time too and it still works. Come summertime that may change.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dashmellow Mobius 22
Back