Tailgaters Back Off When they See the Camera?

GeekOnTheHill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
4Sight TODC2, Street Guardian SG9663dc, Vantrue S1 Pro
I have the rear camera of my SG9663DC mounted on the rear window, and it's visible through the window if you get close enough. Today I noticed two drivers behind me who came way too close, and then suddenly backed off to a safe distance. I wonder if it was because they saw the camera and didn't want evidence of their tailgating?

Richard

I cant say i have ever noticed another motorist seeing any of my cameras, and the rear of my car are flat like a pancake sp people can get pretty close to it, not least if they drive a little snub nosed car like my own.
If that's the case and they stop at a normal distance behind me it would only be 6-7 feet from their eye to the camera that's 1-2 mm from the vertical rear window glass.

The front of mu car measured from the bottom of the windscreen are only 3 feet or so.

Myself with my heightened dashcam awareness i see dashcams now on almost every drive i make, they really sem to have taken off over here within the past years.
Saw 2 today on my 360 or so KM drive.

My experience is a bit of a mixed bag ... some will tailgate then back off I assume when seeing the camera ... others either don't notice it, or don't care and continue.
Some Truckies going along a 100klm freeway will tailgate cause you sit close to the speed limit in the middle lane.
They see the Dash Cam and want to send the message - I see what you are doing ... only I don't give a toss ... take this :devilish:

My rear camera wasn't a small unit, it was quite obvious to see, and I'd add to that by giving the rear wiper a flick to draw a person's attention, but it never stopped a tailgater doing what they do best, nor does it stop people using their phones or picking their noses

You could get one of these
SORRIR-VOC-EST-NO-TRA-O-Cam-Carro-Van-Janela-Adesivos-Novidade-C-mera-de-Seguran.jpg_640x640.jpg

I find with the Mobius rear camera on my pick-up many people don't think "camera" when they see it. I've even asked friends to tell me what they see while standing behind my truck and if they do notice the camera it often doesn't quite register as "camera" to them, especially these days when people have all kinds of electronics in their vehicles. Some dash cams look distinctly like "cameras" and some have a more ambiguous appearance. I guess it depends on which camera you've got and how it is mounted. I try for as stealthy an install as possible.

Sometimes I've had amusing confirmation that motorists behind me don't see my rear camera at all, like the time I was reviewing some footage when I discovered that some high strung, impatient guy behind me was going absolutely ape-sh*t because I hadn't recklessly launched myself into a busy, fast moving roundabout quite as quickly as he might have preferred.

people think its ok to tailgate your vehicle because they like the car thats not cool to do regardless. But I put a camera on the trunk of my car and a few drivers flew up on the rear of my car they saw the camera then backed off emediatly that is the reaction I want

have a viofo a119 on my rear screen, i think because of the discreetness of it no one notices, was being tailgated a few days ago and came inches from being rear ended

My new hybrid car has regenerative braking when I ease off the gas/throttle. If driven with forward anticipation it can almost be one pedal driving except when having to actually stop.
Couple that with the very dark rear privacy glass and I've found a high proportion back off because they can't see through and they think I've got no brake lights.

My Mazda CX-5 has a rear privacy glass that has 20% visible light transmission (VLT) default from the factory. No tint.
I seriously doubt that anyone in their car can see my rear camera based on that.

im sort of tempted to get one of those cheapo ebay cameras for the windscreen to deter tailgaters

1660460017717.png

When people tailgate they make it uncomfortable for the person they are tailgating to enjoy their car I dont see myself tailgating any car period what do you get out of doing that its stupid and dumb to do.

have a viofo a119 on my rear screen, i think because of the discreetness of it no one notices, was being tailgated a few days ago and came inches from being rear ended
I got a white color 70mai dash cam stuck to rear, n this colour makes the cam obvious to the tailgaters.. about 60% will keep a distance while the 40% r those who are see it but dun give a flying f n will purposely challenge u regardless of the rear dash cam.. these 40% r those you'll know r the nasty ones..

Back