Camera Setup for Traffic Stops

VanKo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a StreetGuardian front and rear setup that I'm very happy with. It provides great driving coverage. What I'm looking for now is a 2 camera setup for the interior of the car - I want coverage for both the driver and passenger front windows from the inside. This will only be for recording traffic stops/police interactions. I do not need another dash cam mounted to the windshield. I like the motorcycle dashcams with 2 cameras but I would prefer something with IR lighting, 2/4k quality, and audio recording is a must. I was looking at the Viofo A229 Pro 3 channel. It has 2 interior cameras but one is a rear camera without IR and one is a cabin camera with IR. I'm wondering if I can order another IR camera from them and run 2 IR cabin cameras - has anyone done this? Or is there another way to accomplish interior recording with IR, audio, and 2/4k? Maybe an action camera? Again, I don't need another front facing camera, but may install one if that's the only option to get 2 interior cameras. I really wish one of the manufacturers would design a system for this purpose, it wouldn't take much and I think they would sell well. If someone has an idea for a non-dashcam setup, I'm all ears. I just want to be able to record any interactions with the police on a traffic stop without using my phone.

How often do you get pulled over? I'm 61, and have been pulled over a total of 4 times.

B2W indeed let you turn both cameras to the side in case you get double teamed.

Every time i see a COP i try to look as suspicious as i can, but i think i am too old for that game now, CUZ they only pull me over when they feel like it and last time was like 5 years ago, generally about a decade in between stops.
Also camera not needed, CUZ here i get out of my car as soon as i stop, and that's just fine here, in the states well i would not recommend that.

Due to the pitiful state of Danish police i would whip out my phone in the second they start to act a little strange, though they are protected by a so called police complaint DPT, but it is nicknamed the police protection DPT, and not even them braking the law on camera will be enough.

Back OT, the systems that have a interior camera, they often dont cover the side window very well, so if you want footage of things showing up there you either need a camera that can be rotated on its mount, or let you rotate the camera bit like the B2W allow you to do with both its regular front camera but also the IR light aided interior camera.
Personally though i am good catching who ever on the approach, and then have audio to cover the rest.

I'm 61, and have been pulled over a total of 4 times.
In the 90ties me working long days until 5 in the morning, well driving home at 4 ( cuz i was paid to drive home too in that job ) at that time led me to get pulled over very often when i got to my home town ( #2 largest here ) and often by the same cops CUZ we dont really have that many of them.
Anyway after complaining to them and that not helping in spite of me showing the fishing tackle in the boot of my car time and time again.
Well in the end i complained to the chief of police there, and since then i had a very hard time getting pulled over, i think maybe 3 - 4 times since 1996

The 4 channel Vantrue N5 system i am testing, do have some coverage not least thanks to 2 interior cameras one in each end / direction, but they are fixed though the front unit do have a stalk and it also allow for a few more degrees of turn of the unit.
BUT ! it is also a 2 in one system ( times 2 ) so in my car it or at least the interior front camera are useless if i put the camera in the ideal place CUZ the interior camera would just film the mirror.

The only reason it do not do that in the video CUZ the camera are mounted in the middle and up high, is due to me removing my mirror for the test, so no mirror in my car since May last year. ( this visible in video from rear interior camera )

Last edited:
I want coverage for both the driver and passenger front windows from the inside. This will only be for recording traffic stops/police interactions.
This is exactly why I requested Viofo make a swivel mount for the IR Interior camera.
But this will require the driver to adjust the camera to whatever window the officer comes to.
For the past year I have been using an A139 Pro with the two “remote” cameras mounted at the top of the A-pillar aimed with an inward direction.
Since only one of the “remote” cameras has IR Emitters the REAR camera is almost useless in pitch black situations.
However, if I turn on the dome light like you would during a traffic stop it becomes useful.
I recently received a 1 Meter “short” cable for the REAR camera for the A229 Pro.
So, I will be removing the A139 Pro, and replacing it with the A229 Pro in this “traffic stop” configuration.
Here’s a comparison of the IR Interior cameras from the A139 Pro vs. A229 Pro, and also the A229 Pro REAR camera.
Take note of the REAR is useless when the dome light is off, but when I turn it on it works well.

Here’s a full screen version of just the A229 Pro IR Interior;

Here’s a full screen version of just the A139 Pro IR Interior;

Here's a full screen version of the A229 Pro REAR;

So my point is an A229 Pro 3-CH would be a good option in this configuration for traffic stops even though the rear camera does not have IR Emitters.
You just have to remember to turn on your dome light before the officer reaches your window, (which I would do anyways because it will put him in a good mood to see you’re not pointing a gun at him. lol)

B2W indeed let you turn both cameras to the side in case you get double teamed.

Every time i see a COP i try to look as suspicious as i can, but i think i am too old for that game now, CUZ they only pull me over when they feel like it and last time was like 5 years ago, generally about a decade in between stops.
Also camera not needed, CUZ here i get out of my car as soon as i stop, and that's just fine here, in the states well i would not recommend that.

Due to the pitiful state of Danish police i would whip out my phone in the second they start to act a little strange, though they are protected by a so called police complaint DPT, but it is nicknamed the police protection DPT, and not even them braking the law on camera will be enough.

Back OT, the systems that have a interior camera, they often dont cover the side window very well, so if you want footage of things showing up there you either need a camera that can be rotated on its mount, or let you rotate the camera bit like the B2W allow you to do with both its regular front camera but also the IR light aided interior camera.
Personally though i am good catching who ever on the approach, and then have audio to cover the rest.

In the 90ties me working long days until 5 in the morning, well driving home at 4 ( cuz i was paid to drive home too in that job ) at that time led me to get pulled over very often when i got to my home town ( #2 largest here ) and often by the same cops CUZ we dont really have that many of them.
Anyway after complaining to them and that not helping in spite of me showing the fishing tackle in the boot of my car time and time again.
Well in the end i complained to the chief of police there, and since then i had a very hard time getting pulled over, i think maybe 3 - 4 times since 1996

The 4 channel Vantrue N5 system i am testing, do have some coverage not least thanks to 2 interior cameras one in each end / direction, but they are fixed though the front unit do have a stalk and it also allow for a few more degrees of turn of the unit.
BUT ! it is also a 2 in one system ( times 2 ) so in my car it or at least the interior front camera are useless if i put the camera in the ideal place CUZ the interior camera would just film the mirror.

The only reason it do not do that in the video CUZ the camera are mounted in the middle and up high, is due to me removing my mirror for the test, so no mirror in my car since May last year. ( this visible in video from rear interior camera )

I can build or buy mounts - when installed the cameras will have a full view of the window and any interaction that occurs. It doesn’t even have to be a dashcam, just looking for a solution that will let me record with IR lighting and audio.

I haven’t had any problems with the local police. They are nice to me and I’m nice to them. Just wanted to have this for a while and just now getting around to it. Cops have body cameras to keep both sides accountable, no reason for us not to do the same.

How often do you get pulled over? I'm 61, and have been pulled over a total of 4 times.
The last time I was pulled over by the police was 2008, (16 years ago).
But I will be sure to film my next traffic stop. lol
Just to be clear I fully support law enforcement, and I think we need even more of it (times 10 more).

This is exactly why I requested Viofo make a swivel mount for the IR Interior camera.
But this will require the driver to adjust the camera to whatever window the officer comes to.
For the past year I have been using an A139 Pro with the two “remote” cameras mounted at the top of the A-pillar aimed with an inward direction.
Since only one of the “remote” cameras has IR Emitters the REAR camera is almost useless in pitch black situations.
However, if I turn on the dome light like you would during a traffic stop it becomes useful.
I recently received a 1 Meter “short” cable for the REAR camera for the A229 Pro.
So, I will be removing the A139 Pro, and replacing it with the A229 Pro in this “traffic stop” configuration.
Here’s a comparison of the IR Interior cameras from the A139 Pro vs. A229 Pro, and also the A229 Pro REAR camera.
Take note of the REAR is useless when the dome light is off, but when I turn it on it works well.

Here’s a full screen version of just the A229 Pro IR Interior;

Here’s a full screen version of just the A139 Pro IR Interior;

Here's a full screen version of the A229 Pro REAR;

So my point is an A229 Pro 3-CH would be a good option in this configuration for traffic stops even though the rear camera does not have IR Emitters.
You just have to remember to turn on your dome light before the officer reaches your window, (which I would do anyways because it will put him in a good mood to see you’re not pointing a gun at him. lol)
I like your setup. I have a tall car so when an anyone walks to the window, their face is fully visible. I want two cameras so I don’t have to mess with anything when getting stopped. When I get stopped, I immediately get out my license, roll down both windows, and turn on the dome light by the time I have stopped the car. When the cop walks up, my hands are on the wheel with my license and he has full view of everything. This sets the tone for a good interaction and also shows respect for their safety. I have plenty of room to mount cameras, just looking for a system. Honestly if the motorcycle cams had IR and audio, they’d be perfect.

Viofo has replacement interior IR cameras. I wonder if two will work on the A229 instead of 1 IR and 1 non-IR?

Last edited:
Viofo has replacement interior IR cameras. I wonder if two will work on the A229 instead of 1 IR and 1 non-IR?
Oops, I forgot to address this issue.
I tested this back in September.
No, the remote cameras for the A229 Pro are not interchangeable, (you cannot connect two IR cameras, or two REAR cameras).

OK, how about this?
I have an idea.
You buy two units of A229 Pro 3-CH ($285) each with 5% off promo code PANZERA229P;

1 .png

You install the main (front) cameras on the front & rear windows.
You install the IR Interior cameras on both A-pillars.
The included IR Interior camera cable is only 1 Meter long.
So you will need to buy the optional 6 Meter “long” cable;

2 .png

You install one of the REAR cameras on the rear window looking forward just like I showed in the last post.
The second REAR camera you can install wherever you want, or just leave it in the box.
This will meet all of your requirements, but you will have to maintain 2 separate units.
This should not be an issue since you were already planning to add a second system.
What do you think?

Oops, I forgot to address this issue.
I tested this back in September.
No, the remote cameras for the A229 Pro are not interchangeable, (you cannot connect two IR cameras, or two REAR cameras).

OK, how about this?
I have an idea.
You buy two units of A229 Pro 3-CH ($285) each with 5% off promo code PANZERA229P;

View attachment 71439

You install the main (front) cameras on the front & rear windows.
You install the IR Interior cameras on both A-pillars.
The included IR Interior camera cable is only 1 Meter long.
So you will need to buy the optional 6 Meter “long” cable;

View attachment 71440

You install one of the REAR cameras on the rear window looking forward just like I showed in the last post.
The second REAR camera you can install wherever you want, or just leave it in the box.
This will meet all of your requirements, but you will have to maintain 2 separate units.
This should not be an issue since you were already planning to add a second system.
What do you think?

That would definitely do the job but it's way over my budget. Should have mentioned that this is for my work van. I have no windows in the back so I have the StreetGuardian external camera hidden in the rear plastic fascia. Took me a bit of adjusting to get it right when I installed it but it's been amazing. That being said, directly behind the front seats is a partition. So no rear window and no back seats. Just need 2 cameras pointing at the windows. This is why one of the motorcycle cams would be perfect, but unfortunately no IR and audio so far in my research.
I might just piece together a Panasonic Arbitrator from eBay with 2 rear seat IR cameras and a microphone. I used to work on these units and they are fantastic.

AliExpress will be half price, but good luck trying to return for refund.

I agree. I can get the same things on eBay for a bit more but a much easier return experience. I don't use Amazon at all. The other thing I forgot to mention is that this camera will only be powered on for traffic stops, so it won't be running all the time. That might stretch the life out of a cheap product a bit further.

Before I started using quality dash cams like Viofo in 2020 I only used the cheapest junk dash cams available from Walmart in 2019.
The image quality was terrible, but I never had a recording malfunction.
I attribute this to the low power, low heat generation of these $20-$40 dash cams.
I would not be afraid to use it all the time.

I am looking for something similar, but for me, traffic stops is only half of the need. The other half is cars that run stop lights (happening more and more). My parents were broadsided and their car flipped over one time. The other driver fled the scene and was never apprehended.

I am still trying to decide whether to go with something like the Aliexpress-type or a two camera system. Here is a link to that thread: 4 Channel Cam

Back