Taking the tape off the windshield...what do you use?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Man I struggled to take this Mini 0806 off the windshield.
The GPS unit flexed a lot, almost cracked open.
The dashcam also got some force as it was hard to slide of the mount so I had to take the whole thing off.
May be the issues are fixed now since the camera is flexed and moved a lot now. :)

Anyways, I tried with a small flat knife and it didn't budge.
I was really afraid of scratching my windshield with the knife so I cut little bit on the edges and sprayed some 'Goo Gone'.
Left it there for half hour and it was much easier but still had to cut through some places.
What do you use to take the mini mount off the windshield?

Now need to clean this mess sometimes.

20150209_084638.jpg

If you do lots of taking on and off, tape mounts are not the way to go.

you might want to use heat gun on the other side of the windshield to heat it up.

I thought a heat gun might work (aimed directly at the residue left on the glass), but then I thought: "How hot does a windshield get and the camera doesn’t fall off?" I would try it anyway just to see what happens. After that I would try a scraper like a single edge razor blade. Try it down in a corner first as you might have one of the 4 layer windshields that has plastic on the inside, which means the blade will scratch. If it is glass inside the blade should not scratch it; if it is plastic inside I would keep using the GooGone till it all comes off.

Next time i will mount this, I will try using small piece of tint film. That should make this easier to remove.

I thought a heat gun might work (aimed directly at the residue left on the glass), but then I thought: "How hot does a windshield get and the camera doesn’t fall off?"
There is no comparison.
Even in summer heat, windshield may only go around 150 degrees.
Heat gun can actually expand or even melt your windshield easily if you put it on high setting.

I use surgical spirit or nail polish solvent......... seems to do the trick....... even worked on super glue but that took longer........and before you make a comment Kamkar1 No I dont wear nail polish.........How are things in Denmark comrade ?..........Ipol:D

I was just about to say that I actually used floss on the car lettering, so it should work the same. I did heat it up though prior to using floss which made things easier to remove.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Mini 0806 3
Zwaluw Mini 0806 3
RavenManiac Mini 0806 1
Back