Tesla crash could hurt sentiment on driverless cars

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Some Bad Exposure Value / Contrast caused the crash apparently.

"According to a Tesla statement issued Thursday, the cameras on Brown’s Tesla Model S failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer from a brightly lit sky and didn’t automatically activate its brakes. Brown didn’t take control and activate the brakes either, Tesla said."

It doesn't help the driver was busy watching a Harry Potter movie and failed to take control either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a54c74-3f60-11e6-9e16-4cf01a41decb_story.html

Tesla crash could hurt sentiment on driverless cars

National
July 1 at 3:49 AM
DETROIT — It was the crash the auto industry knew was coming but still feared.

The death of a driver who was using Tesla Motors’ semi-autonomous mode could add to the public’s apprehension of driverless cars even before they reach the road in big numbers. Most major automakers and technology companies, including Google and Uber, are working on fully autonomous cars, and have worried that a highly publicized crash could hurt those efforts.

Joshua D. Brown, 40, of Canton, Ohio, died in the accident May 7 in Williston, Florida. According to a Tesla statement issued Thursday, the cameras on Brown’s Tesla Model S failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer from a brightly lit sky and didn’t automatically activate its brakes. Brown didn’t take control and activate the brakes either, Tesla said.

Brown was an enthusiastic booster of his 2015 Tesla Model S and in an April video he posted online he credited its sophisticated Autopilot system for avoiding a crash when a commercial truck swerved into his lane on an interstate.

Automakers and analysts have said they need to be careful as they introduce more and more semi-autonomous features, from automatic braking to adaptive cruise control. People can quickly learn to rely on them, or assume they work better than they actually do. The possibility of a fatal accident was always a concern.

“For years people have been saying the technology is ready, and it’s one of my pet peeves, because no it’s not,” said Bryant Walker Smith, a law professor at the University of South Carolina and an expert on autonomous driving issues.

Tesla stressed that its Autopilot system is new, noting that drivers must manually enable it and that they “must maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle” while using the system.

“Autopilot is getting better all the time, but it is not perfect and still requires the driver to remain alert,” the Palo Alto, California-based company said in a statement.

Karl Brauer, a senior analyst with Kelley Blue Book, said the accident is a huge hit to Tesla’s reputation.

“They have been touting their safety and they have been touting their advanced technology,” he said. “This situation flies in the face of both.”

Tesla’s shares dropped 3 percent in after-hours trading to $206.25 after the government said it would investigate how Tesla’s Autopilot system performed at the time of the crash.

But beyond Tesla, the accident could increase public skepticism about semi-autonomous and autonomous driving. In a survey released last month by the University of Michigan, two-thirds of drivers said they are moderately or very concerned about riding in a self-driving vehicle. Just 16 percent of the 618 drivers surveyed said they would rather ride in a self-driving car.

Today's Headlines newsletter

The day's most important stories.

Walker Smith said it was inevitable that a semi-autonomous or autonomous car would crash. The Brown crash can help focus the discussion of regulators and others on driverless technology and its limitations, he said. It could also remind drivers that the technology isn’t perfect and they need to stay alert.

But Walker Smith said it would be unfortunate if public sentiment swung so far against driverless cars that people would never benefit from their lifesaving potential. On the day the Tesla driver died, he said, approximately 100 other people died on U.S. roads. No one knows how many of those deaths could have been prevented by cars that could predict crashes before they happen and brake by themselves.

“Driving today is dangerous, and there is no panacea. Every solution creates its own set of problems,” Smith said.

Clearly the trucks fault, camouflage coloured vehicles should be banned from our roads, this will help both human and robot drivers.

I imagine that a Tesla is quite a strong car and presumably it was within the speed limit if it was in autonomous mode and the truck must have been moving very slowly, so how come the accident was fatal?

Clearly the trucks fault, camouflage coloured vehicles should be banned from our roads, this will help both human and robot drivers.
yes can't wait for the army to reveal their new rainbow livery so dumb people can be driven around by smart cars in safety :)

Rainbow isn't that much easier to see, you really need a strong pattern to make things visible:

2njeomu.jpg

I lean towards painting a car with vantablack, if that absorb most light it should look like a black hole driving around on the road.

These are very early days for autonomous vehicles, so this kind of unfortunate event was bound to happen.

In the future ALL vehicles will have transponders so that autonomous vehicles will be able to recognize one another in any weather conditions or lighting scenario. Such transponders may come in the form of RFID tags.

All vehicles may also have some sort of coded markings incorporated into all sides that can be visually scanned by other vehicles. Think bar codes/QR codes or next generation enhanced Bokocodes.

A friend of mine's father has been developing such a technology for decades. Back in the mid seventies he would give out abstract patterned stickers to put on the side of cars that would open a gate and announce your arrival when you went to his house. Of course, back then it was fairly primitive technology that required you to be driving pretty slowly for it to function.

Last edited:
I wonder what the outcome of this case will be? It's interesting to see that this happened with a tractor trailer. I am thinking the lasers or sensors detected the open air space under the trailer and called it good. I thought the cameras were suppose to come into play as well? I like what Tesla has done. I see a ton of them in my area. Personally I enjoy driving and would probably never use that feature. I watched some of the videos on the victim's YouTube channel. He demonstrated what freaks out the car. I really don't like how it instantly tosses the control back to the driver. If you are in the middle of a yawn you could be in trouble. Here's one example of his. That looked pretty sketchy :eek: It handed the control back after it was over the double yellow line. Of course this was v7.0 and improvements have been made since then.

The real question is if the driver was driving it in manual mode, could he have avoided it?
Maybe or maybe not.
There are thousands of traffic deaths when driven by drivers.
Just in CO, there were 547 deaths in 2015, 182 of them due to impairment so that still leaves 365 deaths by normal drivers.
One a day! :eek:
If you check overall US, that'll be 100's a day.

But sure it puts a big dimple on the surface for trusting auto pilot technology.
You can't change all vehicles just because a new technology is coming.
Paint all cars so Tesla's cameras can see them? Hell no. I like my car's color. ;)

Adding a transponder like device on all cars is like Flintstones watching Jetsons.
It's not going to happen anytime in near future.
I know few here who fly small planes without one so we can only imagine having them in vehicles.

Maybe they should modify it so it sounds alarms when it gets close to an intersection or high traffic area so the driver can jump in if needed.
Anywho, I'm not trusting auto pilot as long as I can drive.

Last edited:
I used to run that stretch of 27A a lot. It's kind of a shortcut between Tallahassee, and Ocala, and a route you could take coming from various parts of Florida heading to I-10 West.

The stupid trucker was flapping his jaws a bit to the media. From what I can tell from the news reports, he turned in front of the Tesla. He needs his CDL pulled, and probably some jail or prison time.
It was daylight. Flat terrain. No excuses.

I'm curious if the autopilot system will allow the 'rider' to select a speed over the speed limit?
I assume whatever black box is on board will retain that data?

This is what bothers me about the coming driverless cars. The initial phases will require some oversight and manual override by the 'rider'. If you have nothing to do much of the time, are you going to paying attention to the road and conditions, or sleeping, reading, surfing the 'net, watching a movie?

Last edited:
And those cars was nuclear powered :eek:

I used to run that stretch of 27A a lot. It's kind of a shortcut between Tallahassee, and Ocala, and a route you could take coming from various parts of Florida heading to I-10 West.

The stupid trucker was flapping his jaws a bit. From what I can tell from the news reports, he turned in front of the Tesla. He needs his CDL pulled, and probably some jail or prison time.
It was daylight. Flat terrain. No excuses.

I'm curious if the autopilot system will allow the 'rider' to select a speed over the speed limit?
I assume whatever black box is on board will retain that data?

This is what bothers me about the coming driverless cars. The initial phases will require some oversight and manual override by the 'rider'. If you have nothing to do much of the time, are you going to paying attention to the road and conditions, or sleeping, reading, surfing the 'net, watching a movie?

Alex Roy demonstrated how fast the Tesla will go in Auto Pilot on his coast to coast trip in one. He and some other people set a coast to coast record in a privately owned (other people's car) Tesla Model S. There is a The Smoking Tire podcast with Alex as a guest talking about that trip & the bugs in that trip. Interestingly enough the navi & the autonomous mode are two separate systems. I'm sure they will become one in the near future. Anyway it sounds like you can get right up on someone in auto pilot mode unlike the other luxury cars. I'll see if I can find the podcast if anyone is interested in listening to it.

https://instagram.com/p/BEFbXMUF0l_/

Federal safety records show that the truck company involved in the crash that killed a motorist using self-driving technology was involved in seven citations during four traffic stops over the past two years.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration records don't identify drivers by name, but they show that the driver for the trucking company Okemah Express was ordered off the road in January after being cited by a Virginia state inspector for being on duty more than the legal limit of 14 hours in one day.

Okemah's driver was also cited for failing to obey a traffic control device in March and an improper lane change in December. And an inspection last year found the truck's tires were going bald.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...l-politics/article87081747.html#storylink=cpy

Seven tickets in two years, including two traffic violations, and a hours of service violation.

This is a one truck/one driver 'company'. He's going to need a good lawyer, but his butt is 'toast'. (Deservedly so) I'm not sure the deceased has any family who will sue him civilly?
There won't be deep pockets to go after, but he had to have a minimum amount of insurance coverage.

The driver of the Tesla also had 8 speeding tickets over the last 6 years, which makes me wonder if he should have still had a license, also.

It turns out the tesla driver has some family, and I'll guess Tesla will end up being sued, as well as the trucker.

For what it's worth, 90% of big truck trailers are white, or mostly white.

The turn that truck was making was into a narrower two lane road, and I doubt the truck was doing more than 30 mph during the turn, but it was daylight, and the trucker should have seen the Tesla.

The accident I had 25 years ago was somewhat similar, but the terrain was hilly, and the cars that hit me were almost 2x the speed limit, and behind a hill and out of sight when I started my turn. (from a stop) The accident wouldn't have happened if they were doing the speed limit, and the surviving driver stated he assumed they would miss the the truck so never slowed down, until too late.

http://ktar.com/story/1155007/decea...omplicates-the-question-of-self-driving-cars/

Back