Thai bus dangerous overtaking

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
This looks like cellphone video thats in the thai news lately, even though the way these bus drivers drive is not news.

The usual stuff will happen. Authorities will make some noise about cracking down on the crazy bus drivers, but nothing much happens.
The smaller van/buses are just as bad, but not as ominous. :)

This looks like cellphone video thats in the thai news lately, even though the way these bus drivers drive is not news.

The usual stuff will happen. Authorities will make some noise about cracking down on the crazy bus drivers, but nothing much happens.
The smaller van/buses are just as bad, but not as ominous. :)

I guess "ominousity" depends on the size.
It's the rule of Jungle: the bigger / stronger species are always right ! Same on the road: better don't mess with "bigger/stronger species", give them "right of way" ( despite they are not right ) to avoid more dramatic consequences.

I was trying to find some statistics on the thai bus crashes, and stumbled on this, instead.

right on size and weight, really dangerous.

It's a shame, some of the graphics on those buses are very cool, but they go by too fast to get a good look at them. :)

Doesn't matter if bigger vehicle can win the bully contest, if it ends in accident it is usually much worse. Bus company gets bad PR for hiring reckless driver. If the victim were in small cars that seems to be made of paper mache or if the bus riders were injured, the bus' insurance would get rather costly (as if they were already expensive!!) for damage, medical expenses, and lawsuits.

Big bullies may win the right of way but when they lose, they lose very hard.

For me, I'd just get the heck out of the way and use horn + one finger salute and if the dash cam catches the bus company's name and number clearly, post it on YT and let the bus company know. A best they can discipline or fire idiot driver.

In Thailand the bus companies aren't exactly worried about bad PR. :)

I'm not sure how it works, but I think it's a combination of payoffs, incompetence, and no real system of traffic law enforcement or serious penalties, that allows stuff like this to go on, forever.

Using the horn or a finger are also seen as justification for the ensuing road rage, which may include the other driver having a gun.

The first time I drove there I casually beeped at a few vehicles who were encroaching in my lane. My thai friend told me 'don't do that, they get mad and hit you'.

Aaaa you just have to flash your lights when you are beeing stupid, and that some how change everything.

Sound like Tai bus companies work kind of like governemt here :rolleyes:

Flashing headlights and the magical '4 way flashers of safety' trump common sense, always.

Back