The best free video editor ( An introduction to VideoPad )

4 GB of ram aint much, i use to run 32Gb in my machine, but i had 1 module fail me so i am down to 2 x 8 Gb

I think for my 1600 MHZ computer ( overclocked to 2600 MHZ ) it was the first time i had 8 Gb or more ram, only been going up since then, but this I7 ( first version of intel I7 chips ) is my first with 32 Gb
Use auto OC on this one, go as far as 4 GHZ if i put a lot of load on it, could proberly go faster as i have a good watercooling system.
Next one will be with ddr4 ram and have 64 Gb, at least that is my plan.

Plan on upgrading shortly to 16GB , I can see 8GB getting taxed a little with some applications ...
16GB should see me for another year or two ..
Maybe two years from now I might upgrade the entire system ..
I dont think AMD is bringing anything to the table , so maybe a unlocked i5 or i7 ( ? ) Who knows a few years from now ..

4 GB of ram aint much, i use to run 32Gb in my machine, but i had 1 module fail me so i am down to 2 x 8 Gb

I think for my 1600 MHZ computer ( overclocked to 2600 MHZ ) it was the first time i had 8 Gb or more ram, only been going up since then, but this I7 ( first version of intel I7 chips ) is my first with 32 Gb
Use auto OC on this one, go as far as 4 GHZ if i put a lot of load on it, could proberly go faster as i have a good watercooling system.
Next one will be with ddr4 ram and have 64 Gb, at least that is my plan.
4Gb of RAM is more than enough. When the program was putting the maximum load on all 4 CPU cores, the whole system (not the program) was using only 23% of the available memory.

4Gb of RAM is more than enough. When the program was putting the maximum load on all 4 CPU cores, the whole system (not the program) was using only 23% of the available memory.

Depends on the program ..
+ Benchmarking will help determine if 4Gb of ram is enough ..

I found putting windows on a SSD was the best upgrade ever ...
A fast CPU does not hurt either , and having plenty of space for doing stuff ( RAM ) cant hurt either ..
Thing is , Where is the bottle neck (?)
People who have computer come to a stand still doing something intensive usually have a bottle neck ... Something chocking the flow of data to almost a stand still .
If all you do is surf the internet , thats fine .. But start doing something that will tax your system like video editing and watch out , weaknesses will rear their ugly heads very quickly .

Depends on the program ..
+ Benchmarking will help determine if 4Gb of ram is enough ..
I'm talking about VideoPad, not programs in general. And I don't need to benchmark anything. When VideoPad is pushing the cores to the max the whole system is using only 23% of RAM.

I found putting windows on a SSD was the best upgrade ever ...
A fast CPU does not hurt either , and having plenty of space for doing stuff ( RAM ) cant hurt either ..
Thing is , Where is the bottle neck (?)
People who have computer come to a stand still doing something intensive usually have a bottle neck ... Something chocking the flow of data to almost a stand still .
If all you do is surf the internet , thats fine .. But start doing something that will tax your system like video editing and watch out , weaknesses will rear their ugly heads very quickly .
Where do you think I've been editing videos since February? That's right, in this same computer and it has never had a single problem doing it with MM, which uses a lot more RAM (total RAM used when rendering is about 70%) but only pushes 2 cores to between 90 and 95%. I can still do other things when the video is being saved, which doesn't happen with something as simple as applying an effect to a video clip on VideoPad.

I'm talking about VideoPad, not programs in general. And I don't need to benchmark anything. When VideoPad is pushing the cores to the max the whole system is using only 23% of RAM.

Where do you think I've been editing videos since February? That's right, in this same computer and it has never had a single problem doing it with MM, which uses a lot more RAM (total RAM used when rendering is about 70%) but only pushes 2 cores to between 90 and 95%. I can still do other things when the video is being saved, which doesn't happen with something as simple as applying an effect to a video clip on VideoPad.

hehehehehehe = oooops !
Its late Im a little tired ... Benchmarking = I should have said .... Will help finding the bottle neck ... ( Yeah , 23% ram )
There are so many possible reasons , but running a few benchmark apps might help find the bottle neck ..
Im currently running a Malware scan ( 19% of mem used ) for a malware scan ..
If I fire up VL player then I am up to 24% ( music video )
Im not going to get into the why etc .. And Im not here to change your mind , thats already made up ..

http://www.howtogeek.com/111733/how-to-benchmark-your-windows-pc-5-free-benchmarking-tools/

Last edited:
Wow !
Just upgraded from 8Gig of 1600 DDr3 , to 16Gig of 1866 DDr3 and I am sorry to report , it makes a significant difference ...
Earlier versions of VideoPad did not suffer nearly as much as the latest version , so I wonder if earlier versions are available ?
I wonder if I have one on my HDD ( backed up ) , I really need to stop cleaning out old files ...

Best is subjective.
Have you tried VSDC?

VSDC Yeah tried it ....

Subjective ( Hell yes ) .... This is all about my perspective ... ( Experience etc )

I tried it but found the videos often stuttered on playback
Do you mean on preview? I found that mainly happens when effects are applied (e.g. zooming in.) I think it's due to the way it does the processing in real time and pipes it to your player application.
Can't say I've noticed any problem with final output files.

I never had that issue.
The app froze few times when importing/processing video files but output files were okay.

I like VSDC, apart from the stuttering! It ruins anything with smooth 60fps panning.

i made a couple videos with vsdc at 60fps, but didn't do any pan/zoom at the same time. only ever tried it in 30fps. but now i do all my editing in linux using kdenlive. i haven't tried making a 60fps video yet, but it supposedly supports it. i probably just have to modify a conf file somewhere to allow it.

Will this editor let me overlay my rear camera in the corner of my front camera video and sync with audio?

Will this editor let me overlay my rear camera in the corner of my front camera video and sync with audio?
Yes ....

Last edited:
That is exactly what I want to be able to do!
Going to have to dl and play with this some.
Thanks for posting @old4570

Back