The Definitive [Xiaomi Yi RAW] Guide

Just got home from my first vacation with the Yi. Love it so far, but I did a lot of time lapses with the app, so got a lot of ~13mb compressed raws. Any progress on getting them into usable raws? Anywhere else I should be looking for info on this? The jpgs will work okay, but not great. I've got 6 weeks worth of stuff to dig into, if I can get access to it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Everything working fine on my z23l :) Got 30mb raws and this is just what i needed so thanks for all the work.

I have one problem. Can`t get the lens profile to show in CAMERARAW.
Dont know why but my files for camera raw are located in C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0 . AND YES IT IS THE CORRECT folder. Becos if i remove any profiles from there , they stop showing in the CameraRaw selection menu.

I dont have appdata folder in the user folder. Like shown below. Im using Windows 8.1 64 bit.
C:\Users\[YOU]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Also the file for the Yi is just 12 kb , while the other profiles are around 150 kb. Is that correct ?

Any sugestion ?

And sorry for my english, im self-taught.

UPDATE:
Dunno why the appdata folder was NOT showing thru file explorer. I did search for "roaming" and it did find the appdata folder. Placed the file ther and it work perfect.

I realy dont know why those folders arent showing in normal folder browsing,

Last edited:
There is another way of creating raw files with autoexec.ash script:
Code:
t cal -raw [mode] [count] [compress]: raw caputre
    mode = [0..8], 0:VIDEO
                  2:LOW-ISO STILL
                  3:HIGH-ISO STILL
                  4:MID-ISO STILL
                  5:LOW-ISO MULTI-CAP STILL
                  6:HIGH-ISO MULTI-CAP STILL
                  7:MID-ISO MULTI-CAP STILL
                  8:MULTI-FRAME HIGH-ISO CAPTURE (old pipe only)
                  9:VIDEO HDR(dump Raw, idsp config only)
    count = number of pictures to capture
    compress = [0, 1] optional, capture and dump the compressed raw

I have tested mode = 8 and it works fine.

Does option 9 work? HDR video?

I'm investigating about using Xiaomi Yi RAW files under GNU/Linux. I noticed they are RAW RGGB Bayer so cannot be open directly with dcraw/ufraw/rawtherapee.

I found the website of raw2dng and the source code of the last available version is public.

http://e2500.narod.ru/raw2dng_e.htm

It isn't portable so I made some minor changes to compile with g++ under GNU/Linux, obtaining a working raw2dng and raw2nef command line tools.

Now I can convert single shot RAW files with this configuration:

31850496, 0, 4608, 3456, 7, 9216, 16, 4, XIAOMI-YI

Then I can open the DNG with rawtherapee. I noticed that colors are a bit flat and without auto white balance pictures are "reddish" and dark. I have to investigate further (and any suggestion is welcome!).

The problem is that I wanna use time lapse. In this case the Xiaomi Yi produces compressed RAW files of ~13MiB (and I don't want to use script for time lapse because I want to be free to change shooting mode with the app). With this configuration I can convert RAW files to DNG:

13492224, 0, 4608, 3456, 7, 3904, 16, 4, XIAOMI-YI-COMP

I can open DNG in rawtherapee and I can glimpse the picture (sort of... compressed of the left, using 1/3 of the lenght of the image and with altered colors), but in fact they are unusable... I'm close but I think there is a bits order/depth problem (or there is A-law or DPCM compression?)... and it cannot be solved simply with the configuration parameters...

I wrote to paul69 asking him to collaborate, but it seems a project abandoned in 2005~2006. I cannot find Copyright on the website or in the comments of the source code and there is not a LICENSE file or so. I could submit the project on my github account, but it would be a bit abusive... I would prefer collaborate with paul69. In case he will not reply me, I'll submit the code to github by myself (as a fork, with credits).

I'm looking for the IMX206 datasheet or any other tech spect that can help me to understand compressed RAW format.

Last edited:
I'm getting weird reddish blurry images, how to fix that?
UnRUW6l.png

EXIF fix wasn't working, fixed now, sry :(

Last edited:
I'm investigating about using Xiaomi Yi RAW files under GNU/Linux. I noticed they are RAW RGGB Bayer so cannot be open directly with dcraw/ufraw/rawtherapee.

I found the website of raw2dng and the source code of the last available version is public.

http://e2500.narod.ru/raw2dng_e.htm

It isn't portable so I made some minor changes to compile with g++ under GNU/Linux, obtaining a working raw2dng and raw2nef command line tools.

Now I can convert single shot RAW files with this configuration:

31850496, 0, 4608, 3456, 7, 9216, 16, 4, XIAOMI-YI

Then I can open the DNG with rawtherapee. I noticed that colors are a bit flat and without auto white balance pictures are "reddish" and dark. I have to investigate further (and any suggestion is welcome!).

The problem is that I wanna use time lapse. In this case the Xiaomi Yi produces compressed RAW files of ~13MiB (and I don't want to use script for time lapse because I want to be free to change shooting mode with the app). With this configuration I can convert RAW files to DNG:

13492224, 0, 4608, 3456, 7, 3904, 16, 4, XIAOMI-YI-COMP

I can open DNG in rawtherapee and I can glimpse the picture (sort of... compressed of the left, using 1/3 of the lenght of the image and with altered colors), but in fact they are unusable... I'm close but I think there is a bits order/depth problem (or there is A-law or DPCM compression?)... and it cannot be solved simply with the configuration parameters...

I wrote to paul69 asking him to collaborate, but it seems a project abandoned in 2005~2006. I cannot find Copyright on the website or in the comments of the source code and there is not a LICENSE file or so. I could submit the project on my github account, but it would be a bit abusive... I would prefer collaborate with paul69. In case he will not reply me, I'll submit the code to github by myself (as a fork, with credits).

I'm looking for the IMX206 datasheet or any other tech spect that can help me to understand compressed RAW format.

Hi AndreaPaco. Can you tell me how to use the 13mb RAW? How to decompress them n convert to dng. I have bunch of 13mb because of timelapse. Many thanks

Hi AndreaPaco. Can you tell me how to use the 13mb RAW? How to decompress them n convert to dng. I have bunch of 13mb because of timelapse. Many thanks

Hi hanzodeceptor, I'm in the same condition. I'm still trying to understand... it's really difficult bacause datasheet of CCD sensors, bus and compression formats are confidential and often released under NDA. The only one documentation I found (and somewhat usable?) is a draft of CSI-2 specification, probably a leaked document:

DRAFT MIPI Alliance Specification for Camera Serial Interface 2 (CSI-2)

The interesting part might be Annex E Data Compression for RAW Data Types.

Anyway, paul69 didn't reply me, so I'll take the initiative to publish the code on github so it will be simple to track changes and collaborate with other developers.

https://github.com/wildstray/raw2dng

All credits to paul69 (http://e2500.narod.ru/). For now, respect the original code, it will only compile under GNU/Linux (theoretically the code is now portable and have to compile under MS VC++ or MinGW, but I cannot try... there is some Windows developer here?) but it will just convert 30M RAW files only. To decompress 13M RAWs the way is still long...

I found another document about DPCM image compression... and this is a confirmation that this compression method it is patented :(
https://www.google.com/patents/US20040202375

I could try (and probably I will try) to code the algorithm and test decompression in raw2dng, but I fear I cannot publish the code as open source under GPL...

I tried to decompress 13M RAW files with DPCM 8-10, DPCM 8-12, RLE and A-Law... no go :(
I'm struck because of some oddities I'm noticing. The IMX206 sensors send RAW10 or RAW12 (or DPCM 10-8) datas to the A7LS. So is the compression done by the image processing DSP and not by the sensor? And why in the TXT of pictures took with "t cal -raw" I can read "system.raw_resolution 14"? Why 14? And why a row lenght of 3904? (moreover, I suspect that the last 20 bytes of every line contains some information and not RGGB values). The compression is surely row by row.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm new on the forum.
I read this forum frequently, use your great ideas to force Yi camera works better.

But now I have a problem.
A few weeks ago script below worked properly.

#RAWLAPSE v2 by nutsey
#Howto: Put this file into root of SD
#Steady fix your Yi
#Turn on, camera will start timelapse shooting loop
#capturing RAW+JPEG sets with 8s exposure and 8s interval at ISO 100
#Remove/rename the script to disable it
sleep 7
#SET ISO TO 100
t ia2 -ae exp 100 0 0
#
#SET JPEG QUALITY TO 80
writeb 0xC0BC205B 0x50
t ia2 -ae still_shutter 1
sleep 1
#RAW+JPG
t app test debug_dump 14
sleep 1
#MAIN LOOP thanx VOTerra
while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 8
done

But I had to reformat the card, and after installing a new script Yi generate compressed RAW files .
Anyone has script t that works correctly?
ISO 100, exposure time ~ 8 seconds.
Have no idea where I made a mistake....

some suggestion?
maybe camera settings ?( default mode on the start is camera, not timelapse)

Last edited:
Hey Massud,

I've had the same problem. From what I can tell, it makes compressed raws if it doesn't have time to make the full raws in between shots. When I have an 8 second interval, I get compressed, but when I have a 30 second interval I get full. I haven't played around with it enough to find the exact cut off, but try lengthening the time between shots and see if that works. Hope that helps.

Willk, thanks for quick reply.
I'm trying to change the interval for longer, but with no effect (still 13 MB RAWs).
Which one should I change for 30 ? sleep 7, sleep 1, sleep 1 or sleep 8 ( I"ve change the 8's)

Guys, a little success....

with this script, Yi gives a 30MB RAW files.

#RAWLAPSE v2 by nutsey
#Howto: Put this file into root of SD
#Steady fix your Yi
#Turn on, camera will start timelapse shooting loop
#capturing RAW+JPEG sets with 8s exposure and 8s interval at ISO 100
#Remove/rename the script to disable it
sleep 7
#SET ISO TO 200
t ia2 -ae exp 200 0 0
#
#SET JPEG QUALITY TO 80
writeb 0xC0BC205B 0x50
t ia2 -ae still_shutter 1
sleep 1
#RAW+JPG
t app test debug_dump 14
sleep 1
#MAIN LOOP thanx VOTerra
while true
do
t app key shutter
sleep 9
done

I have also change camera default settings:

default camera mode on start : picture
picture mode : one shot
resolution : 16M 4:3
SD card : Sandisk ultra Class 10 16GB
Kingston class U1, 16GB

For now, everything works properly.

Willk, I have already read the link you gave.
Will try soon ....
thanks,

Hello everyone..
I have question, why raw2dng only support convert raw still photo with aspect ratio 4:3, and when i take raw still photo with aspect ratio 16:9, it say "unsupported raw format"?
size of 4:3 = 31 Mb, size of 16:9 =23 Mb.
I have several raw photo with aspect ratio 16:9. Can anyone help me how to convert it?
Thank u in advance.

Ps : firmware 1.2.13 Z23L

Hello to everyone. So far I am getting the 30mb raw files, but when I convert them to DNG using the raw2dng they end up being of 8mb after y drop them on the Yi-Correct-Raw and import them to Lightroom they are definitely underexposed by at least 2 stops and have this yellowish tint which even dialing the wb settings cannot totally disappear. All of this makes tha raw image unusable.
Anyone else knows a workaround or are having the same issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• YDXJ0013.jpg
    YDXJ0013.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 25
Back