The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

Thanks for the illumination Mtz and TeriTerryTarry . We do not argue, we share ideas. :) That is Why I had ask you guys

Now, can you give me idea what brand will I buy with its cheaper value an action cam / and can also be a dashcam with a real 4k specs, real chipsets and sensors?
Removing go pro as an option any other hyrbid brand? I cannot trust google anymore :)

also can I leave a question, when you say that an action camera is not a real 4k but then will give its function only as a 4k when interpolated? interpolate means insert? so How does it works? An action camera only became a 4k when it will be interpolated> by using accesories such as dome, editor( like snapseed to enhance the photo or video?)
Please help I am really confuse on the technicality

also can I leave a question, when you say that an action camera is not a real 4k but then will give its function only as a 4k when interpolated? interpolate means insert? so How does it works? An action camera only became a 4k when it will be interpolated> by using accesories such as dome, editor( like snapseed to enhance the photo or video?)
Please help I am really confuse on the technicality
Real 4K has 8 million pixels in each frame, if the camera has a sensor with only 4 million pixels then "interpolated" means that it inserts an extra pixel for every real pixel, however it cant just copy them because the sensors are 2D so horizontally it has to insert 0.4142135623730950488016887242097 pixels for every real pixel which obviously isn't possible to do accurately and it ends up making the image rather blurred compared to real 4K. (did I get the maths right?!)

Why do you want a 4K camera? If you want a cheaper camera, isn't it better to buy a really good FHD camera with sharp FHD (1080) images than a poor quality UHD (4K) camera with blurred images? Even with a real 4K camera, I normally resize the images to FHD anyway, then they are really sharp and clear, plus they will play smoothly on any device instead of needing a very expensive device to play them, also I prefer to use 60fps for really smooth playback and no 4K action camera, even GoPro, can manage to do 60fps at 4K yet.

Interpolated can be easier described as scaled up. So your 2k or 1080 action camera can be 4k or even 8k if you go by that. It won't even be blurry; they will over sharpen till you get dancing lines and noise all over the image. Looking for 1080p will net you even worse cameras with 720P sensors, etc. Ambarella A12 with a decent sensor is relatively good image quality and the firmware can be edited. They already make them if you don't limit yourself to SJcam. And if you want a dashcam, get a dashcam. They have different goals compared to action cams

Interpolation is typically of little value other than making one feel good about dropping big$$ on a camera of any type. The most significant issue of camera capture quality is actually made up by system performance parameters not solely MP count of the sensor. Unless you work in the industry and have done optical calibrations etc, it is not well understood, and what makes for good video, or still pics is a bit more complicated than can be covered in a one page article. What is not mentioned and is actually one of the most critical parameters is resolution. Not Mega Pixels, not interpolation. Granted up to a point number of pixels matter up until you exceed resolving power of the lens, it is express as LP/MM at a given contrast ratio. This is called MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) the ability of a given optical system to detect, and transfer full dark, to full saturation levels of edge transitions at a given spacing. the limitation with any pixel size below 5-7um square will be with the lens unless it is not a well designed sensor. cross talk will also reduce MTF performance.The smaller the feature size of the pixel, the more you have to deal with cross talk, full well, dark current, dynamic range and noise. Sensor optical format is the main factor on cost as silicon wafers are a real estate pricing model coupled with yield and packaging yields. Mike Joyner, President/CEO Town Line Technologies, LLC

their logic for image sensor spec will be based on whatever the highest interpolated resolution the camera offers in the menu, that aside you have to keep in mind that they generally know very little about the actual products they are selling, it will be limited to whatever is printed on the box or any accompanying paperwork it might come with, not saying that makes it ok but it's the reality of what you're dealing with when you buy from these guys

The entire focus of these discussions appears to be centered on sub actual pixel configurations less than 4K. Interpolation does not in any way , shape or form increase actual resolution. What is entirely missed is that these products , much like deer cams, action cams, cell phones (although they are spending some money there) is in the 1/8" to 1/3" optical formats. Most are at 1/5"-1/4". You have no lp/mm performance even at 2K much less 4K. MTF is non existent at 2k/4k with such small formats. Here is an article examining the real resolution of 2/3" formats http://www.fdtimes.com/2016/04/15/can-23-inch-broadcast-field-lenses-really-portray-4k-uhd/

Reactions: Mtz
heh, we don't even have aperture beyond the outer barrel of the lens. proper optical resolution is but a pipe dream.

Did someone say aperture?

0733e3e3c0504d102dee9fd4d65b6484.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist

That look like what my friend use, i know burning houses down is often used by him, actually thats one of the mild things he use.

Last week he made a guy at tech support at his ISP cry and hang up the phone, just cuz the ISP tech guy insisted TV and internet was working at my friends house, when my friend was standing in front of a computer with no internet and a TV with no channels working.

How can I know for sure that a soon to be released big-name-manufacture action cam really has a true Sony IMX 117 and a true Ambarella A-12?

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I know for sure that a soon to be released big-name-manufacture action cam really has a true Sony IMX 117 and a true Ambarella A-12?
Mtz,Nigel?
If it is yet to be released then you can only use trust, if you don't trust the manufacturer then wait until there are a several independent reviews available.

Why are you trusting them that it is actually "soon to be released", and not 6 months away, or never?

If it is yet to be released then you can only use trust, if you don't trust the manufacturer then wait until there are a several independent reviews available.

Why are you trusting them that it is actually "soon to be released", and not 6 months away, or never?
If we're talking of the same folks , they've said the release will be in mid-november

there are brands around that screenprint different logos on chipsets so even the products that are released you don't always know that the hardware they state is real anyway

Reactions: Mtz
If you examine the firmware you can probably tell about the chipset. Double so if another competitor has a verified one.

Back