The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

AND .. an update bit of little known (it seems) info about overheating 4K camcorders, dashcams etc. As a 'designer' and once upon a time owner of a Sony A7RII which ran 4K 30p video for 18 minutes before 'overheat shutdown' ... (luckily my daughter's wedding was open air 32 degrees C in Cyprus and only lasted 12 minutes! ), I determined to find a solution. The 'designer' logic in my head, told me that two things in that camera generate heat. Number 1 is the massive processing functionality of the own onboard encoding chip. Number 2 is the Li Ion tiny battery from which the processor is getting the power in order to do all that heat generating work.
The fix - so simple you wouldn't believe it .... attach an external high current delivery USB backup battery via the USB input to the camera - with a fully charged internal Li Ion in place in the camera. The extra current delivery capability of the outside battery supplies the internal chip and gets the thing going with heat et al .. BUT .. the INTERNAL battery has what they call a higher source impedance than the external battery, so whilst the power hungry internal chip works away, the majority of current is taken from the big daddy outside the camera and the inside one just cruises along and stays lukewarm, or even cool. Thus you have halved the heat delivery inside the camera .. and it runs for two hours no problem ... provided that you have something nice like an Anvika sat on the outside. The same applies with my Yi4K+ ... albeit this has run in my dashcam mode without an external battery, just an adaptor into my cigarette lighter socket, and not overheated at 4K 60p in two hours either. So please think about this when intending to use 4K camcorders in hot or long term videoing applications. It's the simplest and cheapest fix.

I have another fake4k action cam, alwinner v3 chipset, which I use as security cam (only for recording) for 24/7. Instead of ext battery/powerbank, I have wall charger connected to the cam. It is 32C too where I live with high humidity (80+%). My cam do feals hot though during daytime. I don't know whether the cam itself have failsafe feature when overheat but the image quality do deteriorate little bit.

I think it is almost a year now. I recommend that if it is going to be use for a long time like this, regularly change the battery, once a week for example because mine already bloated and stuck in the cam. I did tried using the cam without the battery but the clock reset when there is power outage.

Btw, 2880x2160 interpolation meaning it is interpolated from 1080p or max possible resolution is 2880x2160 but interpolated to 3840x2160 when playing on the monitor?
2880x2160 is the resolution of the recording, so it is interpolated to 3840x2160 on playback, however on most cameras it is hard to see much more detail on the 2880x2160 than there is at 1080, normally you are better off using 1080 @ 60fps.

If you want to use 4K resolution or something near it then buy a real 4K camera, plus a big enough memory card for 4x the data and a powerful enough computer to be able to edit the videos and a big enough hard drive to store the huge files you end up with, and finally a huge 4K monitor so that you can see the result! For most people 1080 is adequate and a lot cheaper and easier to use.

I agree and I prefer record in 1080p too, 60fps when possible. My computer can edit and play 4k video but I don't have 4k monitor to really enjoy it. 1080p more than enough for me too. All my bluray disk max out at 1080p anyway.

I'm into slomo and timelapse. For the latter, I still can create 4k video using stills taken with non4k cam.

Thanks for explaining the meaning of interpolation. I really appreciate it.

I have another fake4k action cam, alwinner v3 chipset, which I use as security cam (only for recording) for 24/7. Instead of ext battery/powerbank, I have wall charger connected to the cam. It is 32C too where I live with high humidity (80+%). My cam do feals hot though during daytime. I don't know whether the cam itself have failsafe feature when overheat but the image quality do deteriorate little bit.

I think it is almost a year now. I recommend that if it is going to be use for a long time like this, regularly change the battery, once a week for example because mine already bloated and stuck in the cam. I did tried using the cam without the battery but the clock reset when there is power outage.
High humidity doesn't help, and the constant high temperature can make the video seem less sharp as the plastic housing may move and change the focus point of the small lens. Difficult scenario .. is the camera in a window in direct sunlight? It may be wise to make a tinfoil heat shield if you have the space..... or fit a small cpu fan nearby.

I also saw this at the start of this thread ...
The golden rule: right now is not possible to buy a real 4K camera under $250.

I paid US$229 for my Yi 4K+ and that is sure as heck REAL 4K!

Time moves on - and things get better !!

Just a bit more detail about the IMX377 in the Yi 4K+

...and the IMX477 (10-bit output)
Sony 4K Image Sensors IMX477 & IMX377 SME-HDR DOL-HDR

Sony recently released the IMX477 CMOS image sensor which is dedicated to multi-lenses HD video applications, it’s a 1/2.3 inch type, 1.55um pixel cell image sensor outputs 12.3 megapixel effective pixels. This new CMOS image sensor features SME-HDR (Spatially Multiplexed Exposure HDR) and DOL-HDR (Digital Overlap HDR), supports dual sensor synchronization operation, IMX477 also adopts the back-illuminated technology can achieve better image quality under low light illumination condition.

The Sony IMX477 can support up to 12.3 megapixel @ 60 frames per second video shooting under the ADC 10bit mode, the resolution format is 4056x3040. Enabling the SME-HDR mode, the camera can support 60fps, while it supports 30fps if enabling the DOL-HDR mode. Moreover, the IMX477 adopts 10.70mm(H) ×8.50mm(V) ×1.62mm(t) size package, such kind of small size package dimension benefits to the application of based multiple image sensors product’s application. The Sony IMX477 can not only be used in high frame rate sports cameras, but also can be widely used in 360 degree panoramic cameras or VR cameras.

Sony always keeps innovating on the image sensor after Sony has put CCD out into the world. Sony consumer image sensors excel in the consumer image sensor market, Sony now can offer global leading sensors such as the IMX477, IMX377, IMX277, IMX177 which will be popular with clients in all consumer based verticals. Both IMX477 and IMX377 can support 4K resolution 60 fps video shooting with the MIPI interface which reduces development cycles and simplify overall design complexity.

IMX477 Technical Datasheet
 Model Sony IMX477
Pixel number 12.3 megapixel 4056(H) x 3040(V)
Optical/pixel size Aspect4:3, 1/2.3-type, 1.55um
Frame rate 60fps@12Mpix 10bit
60fps@4K2K 10bit
240fps@1080P 10bit
Interface MIPI DPHY 4lane(2.1Gbps/lane)
Sync. Master/Slave
ALS
(Ambient Light Sensor) 4x4 areas
HDR DOL-HDR
SME-HDR
Package Package 10.7 x 8.5 x 1.62mm

High humidity doesn't help, and the constant high temperature can make the video seem less sharp as the plastic housing may move and change the focus point of the small lens. Difficult scenario .. is the camera in a window in direct sunlight? It may be wise to make a tinfoil heat shield if you have the space..... or fit a small cpu fan nearby.
The cam is actually outside & not in direct sunlight. Fitting a small cpu fan is a good idea. That should help a lot.

I did a video about this today. Thought you all might be interested:

-Nate

I did a video about this today. Thought you all might be interested:

-Nate
Nice video. (y)
In Australia it's called "dog's balls" as in "Sticks out like ..." but yes the price is a dead giveaway and nicely pointed out.

The big question is the latest influx of HiSilicon and iCatch V50/V50+ (Sunplus) based cams now flooding the market at surprisingly low prices and the cams that use them claiming "Gyro" EIS at 4K30 "better than GoPro" ?

Last edited:
I also saw this at the start of this thread ...
The golden rule: right now is not possible to buy a real 4K camera under $250.

I paid US$229 for my Yi 4K+ and that is sure as heck REAL 4K!

Time moves on - and things get better !!
Real 4k action camera will be more stable and more cheaper in 2018 year,price will be $85~$100 about!

Real 4k action camera will be more stable and more cheaper in 2018 year,price will be $85~$100 about!
Seems so. Already releasing now in December!
Seen ElE REXSO Explorer K - 4K30 with HiSilicon HI3559 SoC / Six-axis EIS / H265 MP4 Video Format for US $89.99 on special - full price US $112
Awful Menu options and that "touchscreen" look which is annoying. If you don't have touchscreen, why pretend though in some ways it saves a lot of scrolling I admit.

Last edited:
Seen ElE REXSO Explorer K - 4K30 with HiSilicon HI3559 SoC / Six-axis EIS / H265 MP4 Video Format for US $89.99 on special - full price US $112
Awful Menu options and that "touchscreen" look which is annoying. If you don't have touchscreen, why pretend though in some ways it saves a lot of scrolling I admit.

There was supposed to be a $69 flash sale on this at Gearbeast, but doesn't seem like it's happening.

-Nate

Not sure if it can support EIS 4k 30fps,Not mention in review !

Hi Kev,

First of all - thanks a lot for sharing my short video. I am not too active on forums lately, and apparently haven't been registered here until now. Hopefully there will be a chance to stick around more often :)

When doing actioncam reviews I usually do two of them - a shorter one including unboxing and random mainstream footage, and another "deep dive" with the idea to cover almost everything that enthusiasts like you would look for (gotta say I am still learning though :) )

Let me confirm - it does support 4K stabilization and in fact it does a pretty good job. The samples in my first video are apparently without stabilization (which I figured out too late).

The feature here is called "DIS" - Digital Image stabilization. There also is a feature to correct the fisheye effect and it is "either" - "or" - both functions cannot be turned on simultaneously.

What also most people miss in the video is the fact that the sound is boosted by 15db. Just for comparison - the SJ7 star needed 3-4 db to reack -1db value. the Firefly 8s - about 5db. And the Mijia needed no boosting at all. The sound is stereo and is quite good, but still too low.

As of now the Elecam support sends me no response about future firmware updates and whether that would be corrected (guess it is easily adjustable via software-tuning).
I also asked about possible color modes, brightness, contrast , etc - they are all not there (hopefully yet).

If there's something in particular you'd like to see tested - please let me know and I will see if that could be done in the current conditions (lately quite cold, rainy and apparently snowy). Not as shiny and nice as in Australia right now :D

Hi Kev,

First of all - thanks a lot for sharing my short video. I am not too active on forums lately, and apparently haven't been registered here until now. Hopefully there will be a chance to stick around more often :)

When doing actioncam reviews I usually do two of them - a shorter one including unboxing and random mainstream footage, and another "deep dive" with the idea to cover almost everything that enthusiasts like you would look for (gotta say I am still learning though :) )

Let me confirm - it does support 4K stabilization and in fact it does a pretty good job. The samples in my first video are apparently without stabilization (which I figured out too late).

The feature here is called "DIS" - Digital Image stabilization. There also is a feature to correct the fisheye effect and it is "either" - "or" - both functions cannot be turned on simultaneously.

What also most people miss in the video is the fact that the sound is boosted by 15db. Just for comparison - the SJ7 star needed 3-4 db to reack -1db value. the Firefly 8s - about 5db. And the Mijia needed no boosting at all. The sound is stereo and is quite good, but still too low.

As of now the Elecam support sends me no response about future firmware updates and whether that would be corrected (guess it is easily adjustable via software-tuning).
I also asked about possible color modes, brightness, contrast , etc - they are all not there (hopefully yet).

If there's something in particular you'd like to see tested - please let me know and I will see if that could be done in the current conditions (lately quite cold, rainy and apparently snowy). Not as shiny and nice as in Australia right now :D
Been over 40+°C recently but now a balmy 22°C and raining too, though just light drizzle! Great surfing weather, not much wind, but strong afternoon seabreezes are the norm in summer. ;) At least freezing is possibly a better option than being roasted over here!
Hi,
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes it quotes "6 DoF DIS" ... (sounds like a rappers name haha) ... which is a function included the chipset, not a separate "Gyro" chip like InvenSense MPU 6000/6050 etc. which is interesting.

Elecam (Elephone) have the cam as sub-brand Rexso, like MGCool, basically a just different storefront. Getting answers is difficult but some have had a bit of luck. Usually their answer on firmware is "We will publish on Forum [Stock ROM]" and good luck finding anything.

Going through Support is best and you should get an answer though they do take quite a while.

One thing I wish ALL reviews show, when going through the menu options, is the firmware revision screen like you did. Very helpful in keeping track. (y)

H.265/H.264 decoding and stereo mics should give "technically" better sound, a 3.5mm jack option (ThiEYE T5e sound not bad in stereo with ext 2.5mm jack) should be norm for this.

Can anyone tell me what chipset the DBPower "Native 4K" EX7000 Pro uses?

-Nate

Last edited:
Wonder if this action camera is real 4K?

$289 seems a bit cheap considering the feature list contains so many things not found on a GoPro :confused:

20b5cc3f82f055febf9197a5615f6b93_original.jpeg

e8546bfde56a3a963c9b5c0f5a250c63_original.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1627662609/pitta-transformative-autonomous-4k-selfie-drone

Back