The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

IMX179 You'll get HD 720p 30fps fine but that's about all. No 4K30 here :ROFLMAO: Might be handy down the beach this Summer though ... :cool: :D

A few shame cameras to add in around $35 - $60

Mstar MSC8328Q + Sony IMX 179

Generic M80, HyphenX M80, Cooau M80, Dragon Touch Vision 4, iMars M80 Pro, Leadedge LE7000 (Seller lists as omnivision not sony? I wonder if this is a mistake). I know there are several others floating out there, most claim to be sony or IMX179.

Nice kit that can include external mic, too bad the video quality is kind of poor. The HyphenX is around $35 currently, that is the one I got because of lowest price.

- 4K 30 w/EIS is 15FPS (doubled frames) and only 3200 x 1800...
- 4K 30 non-EIS is 3840x2160, but it looks like only 20 FPS, (every 2nd frame, then every 3rd frame is doubled).
- 1080p looks more like old-school 2008 camera phone video.

Link to raw samples on Google Drive

m80-sports-action-camera-eis-4k-30fps-underwater-cam-hyphenx-wifi-ultra-hd-waterproof-dv-camco...jpg

Last edited:
- 4K 30 non-EIS is 3840x2160, but it looks like only 20 FPS, (every 2nd frame, then every 3rd frame is doubled).
My Supkiir "branded" clone does not skip any frames in these modes.

The firmware is M80 / JL15PSD79_1.2 / 20180528. What version is in yours?

Last edited:
My Supkiir "branded" clone does not skip any frames in these modes.

The firmware is M80 / JL15PSD79_1.2 / 20180528. What version is in yours?

M80
JL15PD79SR_V1.5

Mine was listed as IMX179 on the sale sheet. I saw the Leadedge LE7000 is listed as Omnivision...

Hi.... how do you determine this ?? by eye - frame by frame ..... or are there programs to test this

A few shame cameras to add in around $35 - $60

Mstar MSC8328Q + Sony IMX 179

Generic M80, HyphenX M80, Cooau M80, Dragon Touch Vision 4, iMars M80 Pro, Leadedge LE7000 (Seller lists as omnivision not sony? I wonder if this is a mistake). I know there are several others floating out there, most claim to be sony or IMX179.

Nice kit that can include external mic, too bad the video quality is kind of poor. The HyphenX is around $35 currently, that is the one I got because of lowest price.

View attachment 44279

Hi.... how do you determine this ?? by eye - frame by frame ..... or are there programs to test this

On my Windows computer I use the media player program MPC-HC. The arrow keys are set up to move frame by frame so if one is duplicated the frame won't change when the arrow key is pressed.

On my Windows computer I use the media player program MPC-HC. The arrow keys are set up to move frame by frame so if one is duplicated the frame won't change when the arrow key is pressed.
Yes and had some strange ones too. A B C,C D E F F G H ... every 3rd frame repeated? No idea what rate that works out at? :p

Wonder why there isn't much interest in this 4K UHD key fob camera

Wonder why there isn't much interest in this 4K UHD key fob camera
Because it's shaped like a car key, so you can't mount it like a dashcam, or an action camera?
Because it has a tiny lens that's never going to resolve 4K quality?
Who is the manufacturer? Is there any support?
It may have a genuine 4K sensor (IMX179), but for the same price I'd much rather have a GitUp F1.

It is 8MP but it's not 4K as it has 3280x2464 resolution.
That is 4:3 aspect ratio, but the video looks like 16:9, so it is actually a 3K video camera?

For an action camera, you really want 60fps, 30fps minimum, 25fps will not be nice unless you will have it mounted on a solid mount/tripod all the time.

Of course it depends on what you want it for, for many things it will be adequate, but like Tony suggested, a Gitup F1 is going to make much nicer movies.

How they lie:

1. Fake 4K "video-picture". The recorded resolution is 3840x2160 but the video is obtained by 10 or 15 consecutive photos/second and by adding a PCM audio so you will watch a picture slideshow with sound. The quality is much much worse than next category, fake 4K resized.
Usually these cameras price is about $60 and overall quality is bad, no firmware support, avoid these cameras because their goal is low price.

Eken H9 4K original video download, thanks to @Pavle .
After analyzing the video with Mediainfo people should know that the video is obtained from JPEG pictures, there is no video codec used to create a Heken H9 „video”.
The FPS is low because the chipset can not create at least 24 JPEG consecutive pictures in one second.
So when you are watching a Eken H9 4K video in fact you are looking at a very fast pictures slideshow with audio. They are using this trick because chipset and/or image sensor is not supporting 4K video.

Here is a part of mediainfo information and with italic font I wrote my comments:

Video
Format : JPEG - picture, not video ( here must be AVC or HEVC for a 4K video)
Codec ID : jpeg - picture, not video (here must be something like avc1 or hvc1 for a 4K video
Bit rate : 49.1 Mbps (50mbps for such poor quality is wased space)
Width : 3 840 pixels (OK)
Height : 2 160 pixels (OK)
Original height : 4 320 pixels (original height captured by sensor but downsized to 2160 to match 4K resolution and obtain 16:9 aspect ratio)
Display aspect ratio : 16:9 (OK)
Frame rate : 10.000 fps (real 4K should be over 24fps)

Do you think that a real 4K is looking so bad?

View attachment 20062

enjoy,
Mtz
Aug 2019
Now Eken H9R advertised 20mp pics and don't even offer 4mp as the lowest resolution

In my opinion, the best action camera you can get is the Gopro Hero 8...
Better and better than all sports cameras in every way.. hero 8 is one of the best action cam in the world..
Do not doubt the purchase of that camera

Not really anything to do with the TOPIC is it ??

The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

Aug 2019
Now Eken H9R advertised 20mp pics and don't even offer 4mp as the lowest resolution
Hello,Mtz :
The Gopro hero 4 silver was given as 4k in 12-15 fps. Was it also only delivering jpg pictures at fast speed?

SJCam SJ8 Plus uses a Novatek chipset and does true 4K resolution with EIS and H.265 encoding which is really nice. The gyro puts to shame most ambarella H22 based cameras.

I had and use both SJ8 Plus and Pro models at the same time. The Plus model and its factory v1.0..7 firmware had terrible jittery EIS in several popular modes such as 1080p/30 and 4k/30. The 2.7k/30 mode was often too soft or blurry. The video quality in H.265 encoding was visibly lower compared to H.264 encoding in the same video modes. I updated the Plus firmware to v1.0.8 but things got worse. So, I downgraded the firmware to v1.0.5 and most EIS problems were resolved, and didn't care to test other features. At that point I just gave up and sold the darn thing. More info is in my post in Goprawn forums - link here.

I now still have and use the SJ8 Pro (H22) camera and its v1.3.1 firmware. Check "GoPrawn forums" for MOD firmware for Plus and Pro models.

Here are my SJ8 Pro raw samples. Most are 4k/30 EIS. - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZiQRmkZLvbxe2hsqBppRljDWf8iK4nG4PI7

Here is my collection of SJ8 Plus firmware. Caution: loading firmware may brick your camera. - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZvesc7ZPTOL1kseEu0XzYSqGGxVwVS27egk

I had and use both SJ8 Plus and Pro models at the same time. The Plus model and its factory v1.0..7 firmware had terrible jittery EIS in several popular modes such as 1080p/30 and 4k/30. The 2.7k/30 mode was often too soft or blurry. The video quality in H.265 encoding was visibly lower compared to H.264 encoding in the same video modes. I updated the Plus firmware to v1.0.8 but things got worse. So, I downgraded the firmware to v1.0.5 and most EIS problems were resolved, and didn't care to test other features. At that point I just gave up and sold the darn thing. More info is in my post in Goprawn forums - link here.

I now still have and use the SJ8 Pro (H22) camera and its v1.3.1 firmware. Check "GoPrawn forums" for MOD firmware for Plus and Pro models.

Here are my SJ8 Pro raw samples. Most are 4k/30 EIS. - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZiQRmkZLvbxe2hsqBppRljDWf8iK4nG4PI7

Here is my collection of SJ8 Plus firmware. Caution: loading firmware may brick your camera. - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZvesc7ZPTOL1kseEu0XzYSqGGxVwVS27egk
Isn't fw 1.3.1 a fw they took down after posting on the support site?
How is the pro performing? Can you have their eis and fisheye correction at the same time in higher resolutions than 1080p?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back